Goodbye 125cc GP Smokers.

Thread: Goodbye 125cc GP Smokers.

Goodbye 125cc GP Smokers.

MOTOGP »

Official: Moto3 to replace 125cc

At a meeting of the Grand Prix Commission during this weekend's Czech Republic Grand Prix at Brno, it was confirmed that the 125cc class - the only two-stroke category remaining - will also be replaced by four-strokes from 2012.

Unlike Moto2, the four-stroke class that replaced 250cc at the start of this year, the new Moto3 championship will not have a single engine supplier.

125cc is the last category remaining from the inaugural 1949 World Championship season.

The statement read:

"Application 2012

"The 125cc class will be replaced by the Moto3 class.

"The basic technical rules of this class are:
    - single cylinder 250cc 4-stroke engines with a maximum bore of 81 mm.
    - each engine should last for 3 races minimum and cost not more than 10,000 € (final cost will be announced)
    - each manufacturer if required should be ready to supply a minimum of 15 riders.

"This proposal has been agreed by the majority of MSMA."

From Crash.net
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
    He's not the only one with a personality disorder on this website. He just 'acquired' his. Others are born with theirs.

Re: Goodbye 125cc GP Smokers.

that was inevitable.

NO!! I just bought a Honda RS125. Since it is now an obsolete machine, I have no use for it.

I will sell it for $1 to the first person who asks
    Charly "Magician" Vu

S.O.A.R.
    R.A.C.E.

www.charlyvu.com

Twitter account at : http://twitter.com/CharlyVuRacing
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/CharlyVuRacer

david@charlyvu.com

Quote Originally Posted by dvu3 View Post
    NO!! I just bought a Honda RS125. Since it is now an obsolete machine, I have no use for it.

I will sell it for $1 to the first person who asks
    I'll take it!
    Many thanks to my kid's sponsors: MOTOZEN Racing, Bickle Racing, JD Trailer Sales, GPBikes, Johnny Andro of GUNN's Physical FX Studio,CSV Graphics, Z1 cycletech, Chinatown Optical, ImpactArmor, MPHD Ltd, The Morton Foundation, Kevin Zhang, Sam Nawaz, Donovan Paige, Les Booth and race coach extraordinaire/ voice of reason; John Bickle!

I hear in the states GP Mono is starting to get really popular since you can buy complete bikes from Honda/Moriwaki dealerships and probably other shops. GP Mono seems to be replacing the two stroke 125cc classes. It will most likely start picking up here in Canada as well once there is a source to purchase these bikes/frames, and I think it will be the standard route for the series organizers to have this class for the youngans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jia View Post
    I hear in the states GP Mono is starting to get really popular since you can buy complete bikes from Honda/Moriwaki dealerships and probably other shops. GP Mono seems to be replacing the two stroke 125cc classes. It will most likely start picking up here in Canada as well once there is a source to purchase these bikes/frames, and I think it will be the standard route for the series organizers to have this class for the youngans.
    Hmmm, guess you sucessfully removed people's heads from their @$$
    bickleracing@sympatico.ca
    If you PM me it may take longer!

Dunno - I have no experience with GPMono, but from what I hear those engines just aren't very good at taking the abuse from racing, which the two strokes do very well.

What ever happened to all the clean burning 2-stroke technology that was suppose to be on the horizon?

Honda has the 250 Moriwaki they tendered out. It will be at Indy for a support class. Tried to get them up here two years ago for a support race with the CAN-AM but parties had their head stuck. THe Moriwaki has a huge leap on all the others and as soon as Honda announced it you new 125 would be replaced by the 250 class.

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

With stock 250cc 4 stroke MX bikes making about 33hp off the showroom floor and about 40hp in race trim I can only imagine what the factory Moto3 bikes are going to make but I don't see 50hp as out of the question. Durability will be a whole other question.

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post
    With stock 250cc 4 stroke MX bikes making about 33hp off the showroom floor and about 40hp in race trim I can only imagine what the factory Moto3 bikes are going to make but I don't see 50hp as out of the question. Durability will be a whole other question.
    Honda is allready on their 3rd year of development,,,they'll last.