a Boatload of Tamils - Page 18

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: a Boatload of Tamils

Re: a Boatload of Tamils

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    Nobodies can be detained/abused/"disappeared" easily and with relative impunity. Those who have been documented by external agencies gain a measure of security and protection simply for being "known" by an external agency.
    Even with citizenship it is still really easy to disappear or be killed. It happens to many tourists around the world who have no ties to said country. Especially when you factor in inept or corrupt police and governments with little to no ties to our own.

We are very connected to Mexico and look how investigations stalled or never happened when tourists have been killed. You think Sri Lanka would put forth a better effort to find a tamil refugee who fled to Canada and told of how bad things were in their government? c'mon a piece of paper is very little security if you are truely fearful of persecution because of your ethnicity.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX600 View Post
    Really, you are going to use CanoeNews as your source of reliable information?
    I'll have to hand this one to you. The story was reported by Canoe.ca, owned by Quebecor Media. The source of the study was QMI Agency (Quebec Media, Inc. Agency), another Quebecor company. Hardly counts as a 3rd party validation.

Knowing Quebecor, the real stat probably includes the numbers "7" and "1" but with the decimal one position to the left.
    -int15

Current ride: 2011 FZ6R
    First Ride: 2005 GS500F

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    Sometimes a precident needs to be set. When do you say enough is enough and change the law? It has to happen sometime and it takes an incident like this where criminal activity was most likely used to get them here and they have no documentation to prove who they say they are is true. When getting citizenship the burden should be on the applicant to prove they aren't a threat not us to assume they are good when no documentation can be found.
    And that's exactly how it works.

http://www.irb.gc.ca/Eng/brdcom/refe...ages/rpdp.aspx

The refugee claimant has the burden of proof.
    So if it's true that they don't have any documentation, then they're only hurting themselves.
    There is no planet B.

I actually agree with this part of your post, this however doesn't change the fact that these guys have not done anything Illegal until proven otherwise
    Hey you're a baby sitter, I don't trust you.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    Not necessarily true. Once you have been documented by a UN and Canadian refugee process, you're no longer some faceless Tamil back in the home country known to nobody but friends and family and the local police/military.

Nobodies can be detained/abused/"disappeared" easily and with relative impunity. Those who have been documented by external agencies gain a measure of security and protection simply for being "known" by an external agency.

That protective effect becomes even more enhanced if the refugee is accepted as such and given landed status, and becomes very powerful when that person ultimately earns Canadian citizenship.

Each step of the way makes it easy to go back with lessening risk of being persecuted or worse.

In third world shitholes, it doesn't matter what papers you carry in your back pocket, if they want you dead you'll be dead. Sure it might help your relatives find and identify your body if you are on some refugee roll.

Fact of the matter remains, a true refugee is someone fleeing persecution of such a degree that is absolutely imperitive that they must live in another country through no fault of their own. There is absolutely no reason why a true refugee should even contemplate going back home for ANY reason. The Canadian government should be clear, if you leave the country during your refugee process, you will not be allowed back in.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Bottom line here is, our immigration system sucks, people keep abusing the loop holes, and it needs to be overhauled. About this situation, they should be fed, medically cleared, resupplied and sent on their way home. This way we send a message to the world that Canada is not going to be used as a welcome mat to anyone who violates our immigration policies.

Quote Originally Posted by oilycreek View Post
    Hey you're a baby sitter, I don't trust you.
    uhhhh?? lol, I must admitt I am lost with this comment
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

Wow, where did you pull that little piece of information? Would you care to find me the source? or like someone said, take the pic of where it came from. Also, from what I heard on the news, they all had tuberculosis or some crap like that and once they all arrived none of them did.

Refugee Claim Process
    People who get to Canada on their own can claim refugee protection at any border point, or inside Canada, at a Canadian Immigration Visa Office. Read about the refugee application process.Canada has obliged itself to protect genuine refugees, that is, not to send them back to persecution.

Refugee Determination
    To be granted asylum in Canada as a refugee, a person must be outside his or her home country and have a well-founded fear of persecution. According to the Geneva Convention, the fear must not only be well-founded, the persecution must also be based on reasons of race, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion. However, a less restrictive interpretation of the feared persecution may also lead to refugee status. For example, Canada recognizes that women can be persecuted because of their gender and that the definition of a refugee should be interpreted to also include this form of persecution. A variety of circumstances can make a person a refugee
    Many people tend to forget that LTTE had a well established weapons smuggling network with their own merchant navy. Parts of this network still exists.

If you are an LTTE guy with access to a boat, who are you going to put on it? Some stranger walking in from the street?

What happened to the boat that bring in the 79 men( of combat age)?

There is a very good possibility that there are members of LTTE amoung those boat people.

I am not trying to paint everyone in that boat with the same brush. There are thousands of Tamils from srilanka Living in Canada who had withstood intense scrutiny of their respective cases before they were granted refugee status.

But we have to be vigilant, not to let another act of terrorism (Remember Airindia bombing?) being hatched on Canadian soil.
    Last edited by Roy_0611; 08-25-2010 at 05:41 PM.

I. B. (master "Paul" puts) T. L.

GTA-M. Your best bang for the entertainment buck.
    What feels better than banking a motorcycle over into a corner?

I hope at least one of them looks like this

http://movies.sulekha.com/stargaller...sherawat/1.htm