Looking at a SV650s - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking at a SV650s

Re: Looking at a SV650s

I could drive it home if it was certified and had plates and insurance ready to go. My buddy bought a bike near Sauble and was gonna park it at his cottage until he got plates and insurance, but he got pulled over on the way there. The cop only gave him a $60 ticket though.

SVs are usually pretty good for valve clearance. As long as it hasn't been constantly redlined or REALLY high mileage I wouldn't worry about it that much. Therefore, I wouldn't think twice about purchasing a 20-30K km bike.
    A bonus would be new chain and tires which is possible with that kinda mileage.

The suspension is the weakest link, especially the non-adjustable front BUT for normal, everyday driving it's fine. If you intend to push it hard (like track), it will feel mushy and an upgrade is recommended. A lot of people swap in older GSX-R front ends.

As for model years, I don't think there were ANY changes whatsoever from 1999 to 2002. For the 2nd gen, there were numerous ones, on the other hand, from year to year.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DemonPig View Post
    SVs are usually pretty good for valve clearance. As long as it hasn't been constantly redlined or REALLY high mileage I wouldn't worry about it that much. Therefore, I wouldn't think twice about purchasing a 20-30K km bike.
    A bonus would be new chain and tires which is possible with that kinda mileage.

The suspension is the weakest link, especially the non-adjustable front BUT for normal, everyday driving it's fine. If you intend to push it hard (like track), it will feel mushy and an upgrade is recommended. A lot of people swap in older GSX-R front ends.

As for model years, I don't think there were ANY changes whatsoever from 1999 to 2002. For the 2nd gen, there were numerous ones, on the other hand, from year to year.
    The 2002 model is the only first gen one with factory adjustable preload adjusters up front.

That's expensive for that old of a bike.

I biked up a SV650s a few weeks ago, 2005, 26k, full fairings for $4k.

There were many other bikes around the KW area that I looked at, some were really good. There was a 2003 burnt copper, 8k, forget what he was asking, I think mid 4s. There was also a 2007 with 3k, with ABS, he was asking 6k... I think I should've gotten that one actually.

One of the biggest difference is 2nd gen is EFI, otherwise not much difference, other than looks. I like the curvy look, but not the silver subframe...

Quote Originally Posted by DemonPig View Post
    The suspension is the weakest link, especially the non-adjustable front
    Quote Originally Posted by dankyyz View Post
    The 2002 model is the only first gen one with factory adjustable preload adjusters up front.
    You can purchase the '02 adjuster caps from the dealer and it'll fit in the 99-01 forks if you really want. Or traxxion makes one if you want some bling
    http://www.traxxion.com/sv650pre-loa...eforkcaps.aspx

But preload is pretty much set and forget (for most applications). That money can be better spent elsewhere.
    Last edited by clutch; 08-13-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: fix broken link

ya, had to stay late at work yesterday so I didn't get to see the bike....gonna have to wait now. But I found this one aswell and it looks pretty nice...

Quote Originally Posted by dankyyz View Post
    Wasn't aware of that.

As for that yellow SV - not sure if you want the exhaust to be that close to your ****. Or your girlfriend's ****. These things do get hot. Functionality over looks for me.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

I like the yellow w/the high mount.

If you chose to not like the high mount, I'm sure you could easily sell it and get a standard mount exhaust.
    2004 SV650S For Sale

Buy the rear at Petes (http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=77603)

If the front one would need changing within the next 2k, I'd recommend you get that as well.

I bought my brakes and tires from petes last year. Got them installed by kneedragger88. You can also go with Rosey Toes (shop) if you would like to get it done right away.

Valve clearance costed me about $450 or $650, can't remember.
    "Fantino has been quoted saying he is "satisfied" with the 41 per cent conviction rate under the new law. I'm glad he's not running a brain surgery school" - Kenzie

Kriptik Riders: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2317743102
    Fighting a Ticket: http://www.roadwarriors.ca/ontario_traffic_tickets_speeding_tickets_tutorial
    http://www.naseinvestors.com
    http://www.jafrum.com