Why I love the Adirondacks - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why I love the Adirondacks

Re: Why I love the Adirondacks

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post

The whole point of going to the Adirondacks is to climb them.

Do a loop around the park and come back??? You guys have a wayyy different idea of fun.

I took this pic last September from near the top of Mt. Marcy, just before the leaves turned. The trail to Marcy had a few people, but the other trails had almost no one on them...we also did a few other peaks in the area.

Hotels are stupid expensive though, regardless of season, so we didn't stay at any. A tent and a low-maintenance girlfriend are good to have along.
    I went to Lake Placid and Burlington Vt just out of season but still busy with hockey tournaments at Lake Placid. I used Hotwire the day before to get my hotel rooms (used internet cafes etc). Got great rates.

I didn't do it because it was pricey but you can take a ride down the bobsleigh run (no, not on your bike). Some great (and cheap) restaurants in town. Really good restos on the pedestrian mall in Burlington too (I recommend the French bistro about halfway down).

Going in a few weekends from now, and have a good plan because of all this helpful information.

Looking for names of reasonably priced motels.

Thanx Loads.
    ...with Glowing Hearts
    2006 Hornet 599 aka Honda CB600

I am planning a ride to Lake Placid mid Sept.
    I am watching this thread for some motels as well.
    cheers.
    06-z750s

Adirondacks is my favorite places, new york is a very nice state.

Canadian Shark
    Elizabethtown NY is east of Lake Placid, less expensive.
    CobbleHill Inn $65. A few others too, check google.
    Last edited by Pearlzzzzz!; 08-15-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: spelling
    ...with Glowing Hearts

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlzzzzz! View Post
    Going in a few weekends from now, and have a good plan because of all this helpful information.

Looking for names of reasonably priced motels.

Thanx Loads.
    When exactly are you planning to go. I'll be probably going the same direction at the beginning of September. (BRP and Deals Gap)

While in Lake Placid earlier this summer I camped at North Pole Camping resort which is closer to Wilmington, basically at the foot of Whiteface. They also have a motel there as well. Not sure what the motel rates are. They have two campgrounds (the camp resort and the 100 acre woods). It was a nice campground, couple swimmingpools, on the river, showers, etc. Would be a good place to base yourself out of, if you were going to be in the same place for a few days. They also rent cabins.

River road that was mentioned is a few miles towards lake placid from here. Memorial highway is only a few minutes from here. The town of Lake Placid is about 10 minutes away.

Since we were camping we mostly cooked our own meals but I can recommend the restaurant R.F McDougall’s Pub. It is right on 86 just before Wilmington (if you were coming from Lake Placid).

You can't fix stupid

Depending on time, exit the 401 at Port Hope or further, then along 2 to 30 to 33 and take the Picton Ferry to Kingston. The Ferry again to what i believe is Fox Island to the Ferry to Cape Vincent to 12E to 3. Makes it a full day but definitely interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Carmen View Post
    The worst part of the trip is the long drone down the 401 east. I used to exit the 401 at Cornwall and cross the U.S. bridge there, but I no longer do this. I get off the 401 just east of Gananoque and take the Ivy Lea bridge to the U.S. Then I head south on I-81 until I get to Watertown NY. I take #3 east to #86 towards Lake Placid (3 hours). This method gets you off the 401 sooner and allows you enjoy 3 hours of twisty forest road.
    What's in a name? Well apparently nothing as i now ride a Suzuki er/um Honda ...
    2000 VFR
    1989 VMax

Quote Originally Posted by rick123 View Post
    When exactly are you planning to go. I'll be probably going the same direction at the beginning of September. (BRP and Deals Gap)

Tentative - Sept 3rd.

I've been to Deals twice - Loved it there Y'ALL
    ...with Glowing Hearts

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlzzzzz! View Post
    Tentative - Sept 3rd.

I've been to Deals twice - Loved it there Y'ALL
    I was planning to go on Sep 10th, but because of V Strom gathering on 18th I might go the week earlier. The same day as you going the 3rd of Sep.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
    I like their chairs.

Are the finger lakes in the Adirondacks? I've wanted to see them for a long time.
    No - different mountain chain. Also much closer to the GTA - 3 hours instead of 7 hours to the Adirondacks.

Finger Lake country is flatter - roads are straighter and of course population is larger - traffic is heavier - especially around places like Geneva on Seneca Lake or Canandaigua - real tourist towns. See a map and see how the lakes are structures - long like fingers.... that's why the roads (like fingers) are straight - great for piano players.

Sorry for the analogy.. just waxing poetic, I guess
    Pk! (aka mototrek)

I've never stayed in Lake Placid itself so can only comment anecdotally, but it's always seemed an expensive place to stay and not much to do. Stayed in Lake George a couple of times which was cheap enough and had a few restaurants and bars. It's also a really nice view across the lake at sundown. It has all the chains plus some nice independantly owned motels. In September you should be able to pitch up and find rooms fairly easily in Lake George.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

taking the trip mid september for a weekend leaving Saturday morning returning Sunday night...Can't wait for the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by tictoc View Post
    taking the trip mid september for a weekend leaving Saturday morning returning Sunday night...Can't wait for the long haul.
    It's going to be a blast, bud. We've still got to convince the Winger to pack-mule our stuff so we don't have to backpack it all...

Does anyone know how well populated the Adirondack roads are for fuel stations? I'm getting about 240(ish) kms to a tank. I'm hoping we'll have fuel stops within that distance for the entirety of the trip...
    Life is best lived at Wide Open Throttle. Twist the right wrist and watch it all go by.

Quote Originally Posted by james12lucy View Post

Does anyone know how well populated the Adirondack roads are for fuel stations? I'm getting about 240(ish) kms to a tank. I'm hoping we'll have fuel stops within that distance for the entirety of the trip...
    No problem, gas is available in all the towns...and they are not that far apart.
    -----------------------------------------
    2006 FZ6
    2005 DL1000
    2005 Vulcan 500 - Sold

If you guys are taking the suggested route, (crossing to U.S.A via the Ivy Lea bridge in Thousand Islands and then south on 81 towards Watertown and east on 3 towards Lake Placid) I would add one more bit of advice. Exit 81 at 342 (just north of Watertown). This road takes you to 3 by by-passing Watertown. This will save you a lot of time.

Some suggested taking the Loyalist parkway east to avoid the 401. I've taken this route, and while it's quite pretty, it is very time consuming and is best explored as a separate destination.
    Aurora

Quote Originally Posted by Carmen View Post
    If you guys are taking the suggested route, (crossing to U.S.A via the Ivy Lea bridge in Thousand Islands and then south on 81 towards Watertown and east on 3 towards Lake Placid) I would add one more bit of advice. Exit 81 at 342 (just north of Watertown). This road takes you to 3 by by-passing Watertown. This will save you a lot of time.

Some suggested taking the Loyalist parkway east to avoid the 401. I've taken this route, and while it's quite pretty, it is very time consuming and is best explored as a separate destination.
    It is a great route, but both TicToc and I lived in Belleville and have explored these routes a ton in our time. Thanks for the heads up though!
    Life is best lived at Wide Open Throttle. Twist the right wrist and watch it all go by.