What Does It Take To Become A Good Racer? - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What Does It Take To Become A Good Racer?

Re: What Does It Take To Become A Good Racer?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben G View Post
    COMMITMENT .......... time, money, effort ......... all out, or just play in a Tuesday night mens hockey league...... This sport is ultra expensive and the return is amost nothing until you reach the top, you do this for passion....... to be good, really GOOD, this is all you will do ........ but whats good, winning Novice races at S'ville or TMP, National championship, World Championship, Whats good ?????? BG
    What he said. Biggest question is what do you concider good?

As for the money thing ................... I had a round back in either 2004 or 2005 (cant remember cuz I hit my head a lot) that cost me just under $5000 ............ without crashing!

Re: What Does It Take To Become A Good Racer?

The ability to go out there, have a fun safe affordable weekend and go to work monday morning.
    I don't race street, but I have raced motocross for the last couple years unless I'm gone for work.
    It takes a lot of commitment to be competitive, I spend time in the gym doing sport specific exercises (in mx we have to focus on reducing arm pump) I'll practice about 2 times a week and then a full race weekend... It can get expensive.
    Proper equipment helps with having stuff dialed in. I knew the suspension on my last bike wasn't perfect, but didn't realize how bad it was until a buddy showed me a few things about suspension. I imediately picked up about 15 seconds per lap within 2 laps of the new settings. My new bike out of the box with just a couple clicker adjustments made me even faster since it's so nimble. Mind you, suspension plays a massive part in MX.

You don't need the newest biggest bike. I routinely beat brand new 450s on a 5 year old 250 four stoke, managed a few hole shots and stuffed those guys on couches on the entry into corners. I just went out, gave it what I had and would enjoy the feeling after the moto knowing I did my best.

Practice days and track days, make sure you're not just doing laps to do them! You will pick up bad habits and improper lines. Focus on what you are doing to pick up as much speed as you can. Some days we go to the track and will focus on one certain section all day to dial it in. I catch myself from time to time just out doing laps and not working hard, a habit to break.
    Know your strengths and weaknesses. For me, I can handle the rough sections of a track better than most guys in my class, I can hit a whoop section at full speed, but my weak spot is corner entry speed so I focus on that and I have gotten considerably better.
    Initially you will learn the basics very quick and will see improvement almost every time you go but then it slows down as you learn more advanced skills. I have to work harder to find ways to pick up time as these advanced skills can get you hurt if done wrong, like learning how to scrub jumps. Takes balls to throw a bike sideways on the lip of a 40foot gap.

Your personality plays a big part. Some guys just really want to compete and will race with broken bones, dirt caked in their eyes and with broken levers, and the next guy is out there for the image and finds any excuse to pull out.

Best thing, get out there have fun and let'er rip!