Rotors for stunting....or racing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotors for stunting....or racing

Rotors for stunting....or racing

I recently warped my OEM rotors. All mechanics say its due to heaving breaking and excessive heat. I don't see how this is possible considering I ride a ss. Shouldn't the brakes be made for breaking at high speeds?

Anyway, I have to replace them now and I don't know what brand to get. I don't do stoppies but I figure the stunters would know the best rotors to avoid warping due to excessive heat and hard stops.

Any recommendations?
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

Re: Rotors for stunting....or racing

Sometimes the rotors warping is a results of the braking technique.

If your doing hard stops and then continue to hold the brake lever/pedal whilte stopped, there is possibility of warping the rotors because of the load the pads exert on the rotor.

Does this sound like you?

Generally the warping is caused by uneven heating/cooling of the material.

Quote Originally Posted by strictlye View Post
    I recently warped my OEM rotors. All mechanics say its due to heaving breaking and excessive heat. I don't see how this is possible considering I ride a ss. Shouldn't the brakes be made for breaking at high speeds?

Anyway, I have to replace them now and I don't know what brand to get. I don't do stoppies but I figure the stunters would know the best rotors to avoid warping due to excessive heat and hard stops.

Any recommendations?
    What kind of pads do you use? I have never warped a front rotor due to hard breaking, stunting, or track riding. And I am now doing pretty long and fast stoppies at over 150km/h . The thing is once you get good at stoppies you are barely using the brakes at all. There is the initial hard breaking to pop it up, but after its up your off the brakes and just feathering it ever so slightly..Im really hard on the front brakes because I practice stoppies alot, I can go for and hour straight just doing stoppies..They get so hot I can smell them...

I have Braking SK rotors on my track bike, and I cant even feel the difference at my level of riding...Not worth the $900 I payed for them besides the bling factor IMO

Id stick with stock, and stock pads...Just grab a good used set off Ebay or local salvage place

hmmmmm interesting. Sometimes I do keep the brake engaged as I do a lot of stop and go riding in Downtown toronto. I had OEM brake pads and rotors until recently. I replaced my pad to EBC pads and upgraded to Hel steel brake lines. The OEM rotors are almost $300 each. I'm wondering if there is anything better out there at a comparable or better price.

hmmmmm interesting. Sometimes I do keep the brake engaged as I do a lot of stop and go riding in Downtown toronto. I had OEM brake pads and rotors until recently. I replaced my pad to EBC pads and upgraded to Hel steel brake lines. The OEM rotors are almost $300 each. I'm wondering if there is anything better out there at a comparable or better price.
    From my experience EBC pads kill rotors!

If your warped the stock rotors you will most likely warp any aftermarket rotor no matter how much they cost...As Ive found OEM rotors to be able to make more of a beating....

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    From my experience EBC pads kill rotors!

If your warped the stock rotors you will most likely warp any aftermarket rotor no matter how much they cost...As Ive found OEM rotors to be able to make more of a beating....
    Ahhh really! thanks for the info. Anyone have any experience with the aftermart rotors made in China? $200 for the pair.

Ahhh really! thanks for the info. Anyone have any experience with the aftermart rotors made in China? $200 for the pair.
    Yes the box they come in is worth more then the rotors themselfs...And you wont have to worry about warping them, cause they will come already warped to ****...

ah the name slips my mind right, there is a budget option, its about $450 for a set of rotors.

they make brake lines.....its not EBC<but ebc might make rotors>.

rocker guy has them on his gsxr....

GALFER! they'r half decent

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    ah the name slips my mind right, there is a budget option, its about $450 for a set of rotors.

they make brake lines.....its not EBC<but ebc might make rotors>.

rocker guy has them on his gsxr....
    Yeah, EBC makes rotors. Not sure how good they are but they are definately cheaper that stock suzuki rotors.

Yeah, EBC makes rotors. Not sure how good they are but they are definately cheaper that stock suzuki rotors.
    For stuff like clutch driven/drive plates, rotors/pads, stock stuff gives you the most bang for your buck.

you should be able to find a ton of used rotors of that bike, suzuki interchangeability is pretty good.

just make sure they'r straight when you buy em

I have Braking STX front rotors on my gsxr and they are cheaper then the SK Johnny has. Also got their pads CM46 and I am very happy with the setup. Tony @ bluestreak hooked me up with all the stuff.

Brakes is one thing I wouldn't want to cheap out on but on the other hand I didn't want to spend millions either. This setup was the best for me when I was shopping around for discs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
    I have Braking STX front rotors on my gsxr and they are cheaper then the SK Johnny has. Also got their pads CM46 and I am very happy with the setup. Tony @ bluestreak hooked me up with all the stuff.

Brakes is one thing I wouldn't want to cheap out on but on the other hand I didn't want to spend millions either. This setup was the best for me when I was shopping around for discs.
    Looking at them now......they are definately cost more than OEM. Good quality and long lasting?

I had the STX on my old bike, they are about half the price of the SK's...And like I said I cant tell the difference at my skill level...I do like BRAKING brand wave rotors better then Galfer ones thou...

Looking at them now......they are definately cost more than OEM. Good quality and long lasting?
    You can't go wrong with OEM that's for sure. If money is ur issue then you kind of answered your own question.

Quality of the braking rotors is top notch so I would recomend it any day. IMO long lasting is in all how you treat them and take care of them.

I had the STX on my old bike, they are about half the price of the SK's...And like I said I cant tell the difference at my skill level...I do like BRAKING brand wave rotors better then Galfer ones thou...
    I like Braking as well that's why i picked it. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference as well. My skill level is nowhere a racer or a stunter.

The one thing I did notice is that as the heat builds up in them while braking they bite more harder which I like.

I like Braking as well that's why i picked it. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference as well. My skill level is nowhere a racer or a stunter.

The one thing I did notice is that as the heat builds up in them while braking they bite more harder which I like.
    They will have more bite from the large slots in them, only down side is they tend to eat pads faster due to these slots also

Great info guys thanks. My experience was that I could usually get better quality aftermarket parts for cheaper than OEM. I guess it's not the case for the rotors. I found a place that will send me EBC pro lite rotors for $220 each. But if they are not as good as OEM, I guess it's not worth the savings.

Great info guys thanks. My experience was that I could usually get better quality aftermarket parts for cheaper than OEM. I guess it's not the case for the rotors. I found a place that will send me EBC pro lite rotors for $220 each. But if they are not as good as OEM, I guess it's not worth the savings.
    Prolites are supposed to be lighter then stock rotors, do you really need lighter rotors? Or do you really want to spend more then you have too, to fix your problem?

If your looking for the cheapest option just pick up a set of straight used rotors for $100-200. And get some OEM pads to go with them...

PS how do you know they are warped, and are they both warped the same amount? And how warped are they? If you had a mechanic look at the bike they should know how much runout there is on the rotors, via dial gauge reading

Prolites are supposed to be lighter then stock rotors, do you really need lighter rotors? Or do you really want to spend more then you have too, to fix your problem?

If your looking for the cheapest option just pick up a set of straight used rotors for $100-200. And get some OEM pads to go with them...

PS how do you know they are warped, and are they both warped the same amount? And how warped are they? If you had a mechanic look at the bike they should know how much runout there is on the rotors, via dial gauge reading
    I had a feeling they were warped and I had my mechanic check it out. I can see a movement of the rotors when I'm riding. and When I got the front wheel up, the mechanic tried to spin the tire to see the free play and the tire would barely move. You could see and hear when the pads kept rubbing on the rotors. No dial guage reading.

I would like if they were lighter but I really don't care. I don't want to cheap out and get some used rotors. I'm willing to buy new but there is such a difference in prices. $220 for EBC, $295 for stock, $299 for Braking. The way I see it, if I'm going to be spending so much money, is there more benefits from going aftermarket? If they wear faster than OEM and are more expensive, then there is no point. but if they are lighter and cheaper but still good quality I will consider them.