Pennsylvania trip on Friday, August 27th - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pennsylvania trip on Friday, August 27th

Re: Pennsylvania trip on Friday, August 27th

Sent you a PM - might want to join you on the way down and I know some decent roads to get to the border.

•••

I'm considering the same time frame - leave early friday to clear the border.

I'd stay longer tho and muck around while I'm down there as I have no needed return date.

Don't want to hijack but appreciate advice on routes

a) from Lewiston ( preferred unless told otherwise )

b) from Fort Erie Buffalo

Keeping Lancaster County as a far point and return

Don't mind slabbing to get away from the towns - prefer quieter secondary routes without a lot of little towns.

I was chatting with another member here who has done many Penn rides but think I might be a drag as I don't know how well my hip will hold out until I've actually tried it once for a multi-day run.

I'm probably okay one way but then need the option to bail or even rest up for a day which is easier on a solo jaunt.

Bike and spirit willing.....not sure about the creaky bod

2 of us are for sure riding down friday and coming back sunday pm. The plan is secondaries down to St. Mary's, ride in the general area saturday and head home sunday. It will be a cruiser pace with a general stop every hourish. Anyone is welcome to join in although if you have issues on the major highways then that's probably a gauge to say 6 hours per day of saddle time might be a bit much.
    What's in a name? Well apparently nothing as i now ride a Suzuki er/um Honda ...
    2000 VFR
    1989 VMax

I think I might have time to go down but will be heading all the way to Hershey. I would like to catch up wherever you guys are on Friday night (Earliest I can leave is 3pm) and Sunday for the trip back to toronto.
    '02 Silver Super Blackbird
    '06 Black Bandit 650 S
    '93 Red Bandit 400
    '89 Blue CB-1 400

Guys/gals if you go thru Renovo make sure to stop in at Yesterdays, great food, good people ......great prices!!!!!! Have a safe trip and look forward to the pics of your trip.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gcrouse View Post
    Guys/gals if you go thru Renovo make sure to stop in at Yesterdays, great food, good people ......great prices!!!!!! Have a safe trip and look forward to the pics of your trip.
    Gary
    Anik and I will be in Renovo Friday for supper. I've been there twice brfore and ate at a place on the east end of town - past the war memorial on the north side of the roaod. Never noticed the name of the place but it seemed like it was the only place the town had to offer. Is that "Yesterday's?"

If I recall, the town is a really depressed little place on 120. Appears there used to be a factory of some type and row houses that remind me of factory housing.

cheers,
    Pk! (aka mototrek)

Quote Originally Posted by YamaMana View Post
    2 of us are for sure riding down friday and coming back sunday pm. The plan is secondaries down to St. Mary's, ride in the general area saturday and head home sunday. It will be a cruiser pace with a general stop every hourish. Anyone is welcome to join in although if you have issues on the major highways then that's probably a gauge to say 6 hours per day of saddle time might be a bit much.
    a couple of us will be staying in Coudersport Friday. I have always avoided the traffic of St Marys prefering Emporium or Ridgway if I am anywhere near 219. From Ridgway, folks might like to head west through the National Forest to Tionesta. Fun ride by rivers and NO TRAFFIC

Enjoy the ride. Weather looks great.

cheers,
    Pk! (aka mototrek)

Call me crazy or stupid but Im toying with the Idea of bringing the CBR 125 or at least the CB-1 400 naked Bike to Pensylvania this weekend. 125 whole day redline, CB-1 will be very fun in the twisties but will be at 10k rpm all day.
    I know people have done it but most of them plan it in advance. I guess it will be decided by the weather and a coin toss.
    '02 Silver Super Blackbird
    '06 Black Bandit 650 S
    '93 Red Bandit 400
    '89 Blue CB-1 400

Quote Originally Posted by mototrek View Post
    From Ridgway, folks might like to head west through the National Forest to Tionesta. Fun ride by rivers and NO TRAFFIC
    We'll have to see, but St. Mary's already sounds booked. Which route do you take from Ridgway to Tionesta - 948/6/666/Dutch Hill Road, or are there good smaller roads once you get there .. 949/36/899/Muzette Rd.

And thanks for the tips !
    Last edited by YamaMana; 08-23-2010 at 10:07 PM.
    What's in a name? Well apparently nothing as i now ride a Suzuki er/um Honda ...
    2000 VFR
    1989 VMax

We'll have to see, but St. Mary's already sounds booked. Which route do you take from Ridgway to Tionesta - 948/6/666/Dutch Hill Road, or are there good smaller roads once you get there .. 949/36/899/Muzette Rd.

And thanks for the tips !
    Actually it includes German Hill Road as well. In Tionesta, the Eagle Rock Motel is a good deal - but on weekends - you have to stay 2 days. The Midtown is nice, really clean and well appointed - but not as cheap.

What a great State - eh?

cheers,
    Pk! (aka mototrek)

Anik and I will be in Renovo Friday for supper. I've been there twice brfore and ate at a place on the east end of town - past the war memorial on the north side of the roaod. Never noticed the name of the place but it seemed like it was the only place the town had to offer. Is that "Yesterday's?"

If I recall, the town is a really depressed little place on 120. Appears there used to be a factory of some type and row houses that remind me of factory housing.

cheers,
    Yup thats the place, depressed area for sure..... nice people and good food

Quote Originally Posted by gcrouse View Post
    Yup thats the place, depressed area for sure..... nice people and good food
    I looked up Yesterday's and called them (I have a MagicJack) Also found out a little more about the town. Named "Renovo" from the Latin to "renew." The one industry in town existed to "renew" rail locomotives. Interesting!

Few young men in town - think most are in Iraq or Afganwherever. Hills are pretty and the river setting is just perfect. Must be a blast during the fall with all those colors. think I'll head there again in early October.

cheers,
    Pk! (aka mototrek)

Do we have a summary of who is going and is everyone going meeting at the Peace Bridge Duty Free at 11 am??

I'm open ended for time and have a spare Scala if someone wants to stay longer.
    macdoc@macdoc.com

Weather looks terrific for Friday onward - maybe add another layer 7 degrees early Friday
    http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/uspa0339

Anik and I will be in Renovo Friday for supper.
    I was wonder what happened to Anik. Posted the original and kinda disappeared. If you are willing would certainly enjoy your company for at least the ride down. Definitely not coming back until sunday so that could factor into how much of a common route we'll take come saturday.

Let me know and MacDoc's in as well, thanks.

B
    2000 VFR
    1989 VMax

I was wonder what happened to Anik. Posted the original and kinda disappeared....
    B
    Actually, he didn't disapper, he just went on about other things.. his bike's in the shop - needs a starter motor and he's probably secure in the ride - no need to monitor. Let me explain.

I read his original post. Since he is relatively new and has never been to PA, and since I have nothing but time, I contacted him and offered to tag along - I've been to some areas of Pa many times, so I went to meet him. We talked and agreed we'd go together. (Hopefully his bike will be ok - that should be known by Wednesday.)

He is only free to ride Friday and has to return Saturday. Anyone here who has been to PA knows that it's 4 hours down and 4 hours back - On a one and a half day ride - that's tuff to get any riding down there!!

So, We'll meet at Fort Erie Duty Free at 11:00 am Friday
    We'll ride to Coudersport - book in and then ride to Yesterday's in Renovo for supper.
    I read about Yesterday's here in the GTAM - contacted them and told 'em we'd eat supper there. (Supper at 5:00 pm) After supper, we'll head back to Coudersport by another route. gotta be back at 8;00 pm - wanna watch O'Reilly!! (And have a few)

Saturday morning, we'll probably have breakfast in Coudersport - there's a neat Diner just east of town. Then we'll head south and west to do the 555 and head up the 219. We'll have lunch somewhere north of Ridgway - maybe the intersection of 219 and 6 and after lunch, he'll head back to the GTA.

I'll head off to book in another motel and spend the rest of Saturday riding. No definite roads, because I'll be free to follow my nose. Sunday morning, I'd like to experience a local mass (Catholic) and have a greasy Diner breakfast!!

Hopefully, Anik will have a great ride in PA in a very limited time, he'll experience roads 44, 872, 120, 144, 155, 555, and 219.

We plan to meet at 11:00 at the Duty Free building in Fort Erie. Lunch somewhere in the States south of Buffalo along 400/16

Maybe we'll meet others for lunch, supper or parts of the ride!

Cheers,
    Pk! (aka mototrek)

I was wonder what happened to Anik. Posted the original and kinda disappeared. If you are willing would certainly enjoy your company for at least the ride down. Definitely not coming back until sunday so that could factor into how much of a common route we'll take come saturday.

Let me know and MacDoc's in as well, thanks.

B
    lol. I am still here. I have just been busy with work and other things. Hopefully my bike will be ready by wednesday afternoon or thursday morning. As Mototrek said, we met up and discussed about the routes. I wish I could go for a longer period of time but time is an issue for me. Next time for sure!

This sounds perfect. I like the follow your nose thing. Should i make a reservation for Coudersport or do you think we'll be fine. Ditto for Saturday night. Thanks.
    2000 VFR
    1989 VMax

This sounds perfect. I like the follow your nose thing. Should i make a reservation for Coudersport or do you think we'll be fine. Ditto for Saturday night. Thanks.
    We are at Paul's Motel Friday. You had better reserve.
    Saturday I have a booking in Smethport. There's only the one place there - Smethprot Motel

Links
    Paul's Motel
    http://www.paulsmotel-citgo.com/
    Smethport Motel
    http://smethportmotel.info/default.aspx

cheers,
    Peter
    Pk! (aka mototrek)

Booked in at Paul's for friday night. Mid Town was full for saturday. Ended up at Lance Corners (#6/#219) 814-778-5391 which looks to be about 15kms west of Smethport.
    2000 VFR
    1989 VMax

Booked in at Paul's for friday night. Mid Town was full for saturday. Ended up at Lance Corners (#6/#219) 814-778-5391 which looks to be about 15kms west of Smethport.
    Did you try the motel in Smethport?

NOTE:
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=125969
    Pk! (aka mototrek)

I have been to PA so many times.. since I have families and in-laws lives in Harrisburg and Hershey.

I have never been there with my MC though.. would love to do it one day..
    To Achive The Possible, We Must Attempt The Impossible.
    -----------
    02 Suzuki GSX-R600 - Sold