Honda CB750 Restoration (Not sure of the year, I think '79 or '80)

Thread: Honda CB750 Restoration (Not sure of the year, I think '79 or '80)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Honda CB750 Restoration (Not sure of the year, I think '79 or '80)

Aaaaaaaand gtam is having technical difficulties... I'll post the rest tomorrow...

Edit: Pics work... My super awesome comentary doesn't work.... Goodnight....

Edit in the AM... Put some words on the pics... Some still aint working... Oh well...
    Last edited by RideThis; 08-24-2010 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Pics work...
    ~~~Carpe Diem~~~
    *Support Our Troops*
    ---> 1992 FZR600 - SOLD <---
    ---> 2004 CBR 600RR <---
    ---> 1981 CB 750C - PROJECT <---

Looking awesome!!!!
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

I'm glad to see you are doing a complete job of it. Looking good! and your bench isn't as bad as mine with 2 fzr400 engines apart at the moment
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    Looking awesome!!!!
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    I'm glad to see you are doing a complete job of it. Looking good! and your bench isn't as bad as mine with 2 fzr400 engines apart at the moment
    LOL, my bench is pretty easy to sort out... 2 separate projects on the go for you?

So, I failed at removing that spark plug from the head. But good news, just got a call from my machine shop, THEY got it out... Not sure if they removed it or if they drilled / tapped / heli coiled it. Either way, time to go back up tonight to start rebuilding things...
    ~~~Carpe Diem~~~
    *Support Our Troops*
    ---> 2004 CBR 600RR <---

looks good man! can't wait to see you finish it.
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]
    I want these parts gone! make me an offer.

please email me directly, I don't check the forums anymore. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RideThis View Post
    LOL, my bench is pretty easy to sort out... 2 separate projects on the go for you?
    One project a FZR400. When I sold my race bike a few years ago the guy didn't want any of the spares. Thought about selling them off, but after looking at the pile and a few beverages I thought "there must be a whole bikes worth there, lets see". So now I have a bike thats 80% complete. Just getting ready to put the engine in (had one engine I was rebuilding and a spare) and then finish up the electrical and carbs. Just need some non-race body work, or take the time to refinish what I have and I think it should be good to go.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    One project a FZR400. When I sold my race bike a few years ago the guy didn't want any of the spares. Thought about selling them off, but after looking at the pile and a few beverages I thought "there must be a whole bikes worth there, lets see". So now I have a bike thats 80% complete. Just getting ready to put the engine in (had one engine I was rebuilding and a spare) and then finish up the electrical and carbs. Just need some non-race body work, or take the time to refinish what I have and I think it should be good to go.
    Hey! Where's YOUR project tutorial!?!?!
    ~~~Carpe Diem~~~
    *Support Our Troops*
    ---> 2004 CBR 600RR <---

So, started off with the good news of the plug coming out and having the whole night to rebuild the engine and get her back into the bike... But there are some minor setbacks... You'll see when you scroll down.

Here's #4, heli-coil in place...

The cylinder head after a decent cleaning...

The engine block after a decent cleaning...

Got the cams back in, set the timing of crankshaft, intake camshaft, and exhaust camshaft... Installed the camshaft holders... Lightly at first... Turned the engine by hand to ensure proper timing... Then again... Then again... Then again... And a few more times... While torquing down the cam holder bolts **** hit the fan for the night... Notice in the pic, two bolts are missing from the cam holders that are installed...

Closeup of the missing bolts...

And here they are... Before the questions, let me say, I followed the torque specs from the Clymers manual... 9 - 12 ft/lbs... I used 12 ft/lbs... Decided after (it was too late) that I should have used 9 ft/lbs... But I'll get the bolts from work tomorrow so no big deal... Damn lucky they didn't snap IN the block, they just make a "crack" sound, so I backed them out and saw the stretch marks... I busted them by hand after that... Lesson learned... Don't use max torque when doing this...

Since not much else could be done, cleaned up shop and my friend tried to see how well he could polish the cam cover by hand... Going to properly machine polish it in the end...

Overall, disappointed tonight... But life goes on and the bike will be done eventually... At least I got the cams in and the timing set tonight, that's good news...
    Last edited by RideThis; 08-27-2010 at 01:31 AM.
    ~~~Carpe Diem~~~
    *Support Our Troops*
    ---> 2004 CBR 600RR <---