Rider Training Institute v.s. Centennial College - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rider Training Institute v.s. Centennial College

Re: Rider Training Institute v.s. Centennial College

Quote Originally Posted by Jeebs24 View Post
    I've opted for RTI simply because of the free re-testing.
    Most of the private places do this, it's sort of an unwritten rule. It's only the colleges that actually charge.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the "free" retesting, is just the markers not writing down your scores. Technically, you can only retest one time after the first one. (I THINK) the MTO requires you retake the course if you don't pass after that.

I'm likely wrong though. You can retake the M1 exit test at the MTO as many times as you like, you just gotta pay. Not sure.

"Free retesting" is exactly what it is - free retesting.
    Last edited by Truth; 08-20-2010 at 11:30 AM.

One thing alot of of people don't know is that if you take it at a College. You can write off the course on your Income Tax as a Tuition Credit. I'm not sure RTI qualifies.

I took my M1 Exit at Centennial. It was great. Good instructors, ok bikes, good bike selection. Good facilities (College Campus, washrooms close by, parking lot where you do the course is paved level in good condition, etc).

So Centennial would my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    You're wrong. "Free retesting" is exactly what it is - free retesting.
    The MTO only allows a school to perform one retest - whether its free or not the ministry doesnt care.
    What the MTO cares about however is that recognized authorities are only allowed to retest a student once. After that, the student must return to the MTO for testing or repeat the entire course.
    Any school that does more than one retest is in direct violation of the MTO standards.
    So... I wasn't wrong? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by 250R-ICE View Post
    One thing alot of of people don't know is that if you take it at a College. You can write off the course on your Income Tax as a Tuition Credit. I'm not sure RTI qualifies.
    tried that (took mine at belleville loyalist college) and was told I couldn't claim it.
    x

I went with Centennial.
    My instructors were amazing. They ran the gamut from super nice to sarcastic. I liked it; they kept me on my toes. They were always on me for what I was doing / not doing. That kind of attention was weird - granted, I only had 12 in my class.

I didn't do RTI only because it is held at one of my work locations. It would have been awkward for me to do that. Convenient, yes, but I did not run into work people.

As someone who is involved in motorcycle rider training, I will voice my opinion.

Most College Programs (Humber, Centennial< Sheridan etc) are sanctioned by the Canada Safety Council, with instructors that are certified yearly and a curriculum that is followed by all Colleges.

The programs is recognized by all insurance companies in Canada as it is a National Curriculum similar to the MSF program conducted in USA.

The Canada Safety Council controls the certification of motorcycle instructors and has very strict qualifications before they will certify an instructor. THere are some CSC instructors on this board and I'm sure they can attest to the commitment to be an instructor.

Recap of some advantages of a College Program

- National Curriculum

- Annual Certification of Instructors

- Nationally recognized certificate of completion

- Facility audits to ensure that high standards are adhered to ( No Johnny on the spot washrooms etc.)

Tax deductible receipt (Confirmed with CCRA)

For more info on the CSC program , go to this link

http://www.ridertraining.org/index.shtml

I took mine at centennial because it was close.
    I cant speak for the other places but i had a blast at centennial, the instructors ranged from old geezers to young hotties and everything in between. They were watching me like a hawk and commented on every little thing i did wrong. I wasn't use to the attention.

There was this one girl who had no idea what she was doing and i thought for sure she would fail because she dropped the bike on more than 1 occasion, also ran me off my track a few times! and stalled the bike all the time. As we were doing our exercises i saw one instructor taking her off to the side and giving her extra tutoring, Needless to say she ended up passing without any problems. It was like a completely different rider when i watched her take her exam.

Centennial College Retest is $50
    RTI is free retest...

I went to CC and was not impressed.

RTI has more potential errors on their test for the M2 license than other schools.
    They include any shifting errors on their test - No one else does this. Their speed errors are also greater than other schools.