Picking up a DS tonight! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Picking up a DS tonight!

Re: Picking up a DS tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by bassguitar View Post
    I stand corrected.

I guess I read the "Other Countries" section where it says 91. For Can/USA is says 87. The measurement difference seems kinda dumb. Why isn't it standardized across the world?
    Our 87 is the equivalent to 91 RON. We use the (R+M)/2 method which is the average of 2 different testing methods. (RON and MON.)

If I only rode street I'd probably only use 87 in my DRZ. I've only ever encountered the conditions needed to cause pre-detonantion when I am off the pavement.

There is no benefit to running a higher octane level than what your engine needs. But if you must run 91 in your bike stick to Shell. IIRC they are the only company that doesn't use ethanol in their "premium" fuel. Some companies use ethanol (up to 10%) to boost octane content in their fuels. (ex: Ultra 94.) Since ethanol has less energy than gasoline you would actually be spending more money for less performance.
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

I did an oil change tonight, brake pad change and fixed the speedo. Now I am truely satisfied with my purchase

I ran the GPS next to my speedo and it seems that the speedo is 5km/h higher then the gps. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by _eug_ View Post
    Went to a random parking lot in a park to mess around, I was trying to go over a big curb but I wasnt going fast enought and lost balance. Now both of the rear turn signals are broken . Other then that, the bike seems bullet proof.

I need to invest in some flush mount lights for the rear, and possibly the front so that they will match.
    pffft no biggie good thing it easnt a SS you would have more than busted turn signals, but then again i guess you wouldnt be jumping curbs either. Congrats on the new ride....mind me asking what u paid? i wouldnt mind a DS myself

I went to the Ganaraska Forest yesterday. It my first ever dirt riding experience. I have to admit that it is one of the most fun and intense things that I have ever done. I really struggled in there. I was riding for about 2.5 hours then I started to wipe out so I decided to call it a day.

I didnt have proper dirt bike boots (something I need to buy asap) so my shins and calves are all scraped up.

I had a really difficult time on the forest roads where there is deep sand. I felt like my bike was gonna low side any second. I need to learn how to ride it properly. Also some of the steep hills where you had to climb were super tricky.

Overall, It was great experiance.
    Last edited by _eug_; 08-15-2010 at 08:05 PM.

I went to the Ganaraska Forest yesterday. It my first ever dirt riding experience. I have to admit that it is one of the most fun and intense things that I have ever done. I really struggled in there. I was riding for about 2.5 hours then I started to wipe out so I decided to call it a day.

I didnt have proper dirt bike boots (something I need to buy asap) so my shins and calves are all scraped up.

I had a really difficult time on the forest roads where there is deep sand. I felt like my bike was gonna low side any second. I need to learn how to ride it properly. Also some of the steep hills where you had to climb were super tricky.

Overall, It was great experiance.
    I hope you bought a day pass to ride there. Also the Trailwings are a lousy tire choice for the Ganny.
    Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Andreas and frekeyguy,
    Both of you ride supersport bikes on the street, and neither of you do it very well.
    Their intended purpose was for racing, why don't you guys buy scooters, the handling ability of a vespa is still beyond anything either of you are going to need.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
    I hope you bought a day pass to ride there. Also the Trailwings are a lousy tire choice for the Ganny.

Ye I did, it was $25 + another 5 for the map. Money well spent.

Ye I did, it was $25 + another 5 for the map. Money well spent.
    Did rates go up recently? It used to be $20 for a day pass and $100 for a yearly pass, but a buddy of mine told me he recently paid $125 for a yearly pass, and _eug_ states above he paid $25 for a day pass...

As for riding in sand - lean back, and get on the throttle!

Edit - nevermind... answered my own question re: rate increase:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=125220
    Last edited by Xhumeka; 08-16-2010 at 03:19 PM.
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	20029

Me riding some trails around Upper Big Chute road

Quote Originally Posted by Xhumeka View Post
    Congrats!!! Now let's see a picture!
    Nice!!! How'd you find the trails to ride - gps?
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

Congrats on the DRZ 400S. I had one a couple of years ago, same year - it was a great bike. If you're struggling with the seat height of the bike, there are aftermarket seats which can help.......Renazco Racing does great custom seat rebuilds as well. If your speedo module needs to be replaced, I have a spare - PM me if you need it. Replace the deathwings - you'll be glad you did. Braided SS brake lines are a nice upgrade as well. You might want to check the sprockets, chain, brake pads, wheel bearings and replace brake fluid at some point as well. Check your cam chain tensioner. www.thumpertalk.com is a great source for DRZ related information. www.odsc.on.ca is a local forum for dual sport enthusiasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhumeka View Post
    Nice!!! How'd you find the trails to ride - gps?

I know that area somewhat well because I usually go there to fish / canoe. There are quite a few snowmobile trails around there. They all require you to be a member of some organization. I cant remember the name of the life of me. I am not a member of any clubs or organizations since I got this toy two weeks ago, I went in anyway. For next year I will pay all the reg fees and crap.

It was really really muddy in there today. I got very dirty, and couldnt get too deep into the trail because it would require me to go though long puddles, and who knows how deep they were. Still, the sections where I got to ride the Canadian shield were awesome.

My whole little adventure trip today took a total of 8 hours, maybe 7.5 hours of actual riding time. As much as I hate the drz gel seat, it was not as bad as I expected it to be for such a long ride. After my *** went numb, it didnt bother me too much any more.

I got a new smart phone, and the GPS on it is not functioning properly, it was a very unpleasant surprise.
    Last edited by _eug_; 08-21-2010 at 10:47 PM.