is 35 north of kawartha lakes any good?

Thread: is 35 north of kawartha lakes any good?

is 35 north of kawartha lakes any good?

Looking for some twisties and a long ride and that part of the map caught my eye. I have a friend up in orillia i'll be going to party with sometime soon and i was looking at 35 north up to mindon/carnarvon and then 35 to either 117 or 60, or even 118 across.

All of those routes would take me back to highway 11 which i could take south, or depending how i feel both 118 and 141 across to the 400 look pretty sweet as well.

Definitely looking for advice, like if a section of one of those roads is a dirt road that would be good to know. Let me know!
    Driving a cage is to have sanity forced upon you.

Re: is 35 north of kawartha lakes any good?

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFoe View Post
    Looking for some twisties and a long ride and that part of the map caught my eye. I have a friend up in orillia i'll be going to party with sometime soon and i was looking at 35 north up to mindon/carnarvon and then 35 to either 117 or 60, or even 118 across.

All of those routes would take me back to highway 11 which i could take south, or depending how i feel both 118 and 141 across to the 400 look pretty sweet as well.

Definitely looking for advice, like if a section of one of those roads is a dirt road that would be good to know. Let me know!
    Once you pass minden is when 35 gets good, right through to dorset.

hmmm k so i'd be looking at 2 hours of slab from oshawa to get up to minded. Minden to dorset and then i'm guessing i should stay on 35 towards lake of bays and huntsville it looks the most twisty (and the farthest of course lol).

Looking a little closer just past lake of bays theres south portage road, which you could take all the way down back to 117 looks like it has some potential for twisties, any thoughts on that or should i just stay on 60 towards huntsville?

Couple other spots i've noticed, when you hit minden hills there is cr-20 which looks really twisty, as well as when you hit carnarvon if you went west on 118 there is cushog lake rd which looks super twisty, are either of these worth checking out?

Here you go... nice route for "some twisties and a long ride".
    Highlights... 35, 60, Upper Big Chute Road, Cooper's Falls Road, Bala.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...e=UTF8&t=h&z=7

Have fun!

If you have the time, you can take the 507 and Rd 3 to 118, through Haliburton and then up 35.

Some very nice routes to the 507 starting in Port Perry.

when you hit carnarvon if you went west on 118 there is cushog lake rd which looks super twisty, are either of these worth checking out?
    Hmm... looks nice ( http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...08647&t=h&z=12 )

Feel free to explore and report back

i'm just going to stop trying to be the man, because you sir, clearly, are the man. Looks like a great ride, i'll probably do the east of highway 11 and the bala/big chute on seperate days but that works out perfect as orillia is where i'll be crashing.

That ride out to algonquin looks sweet but would make for a VERY long ride lol, i think that one would have to be a camping trip.

Quote Originally Posted by STARSHIP View Post
    If you have the time, you can take the 507 and Rd 3 to 118, through Haliburton and then up 35.

Some very nice routes to the 507 starting in Port Perry.
    that looks like fun too, i'll keep it in mind! i really need a go pro HD if i'm going to be doing all of this

There are some really nice roads up around Minden,
    If you are going north on 35, south of Minden take Deep Bay Road( scenic views of lakes with some twisties and nice sweepers).
    When you get to Minden, take Bobcaygeon road (lots of twisties) north to 118.
    At 118 turn right about 6-7 kms to Kushog Lake road( lots of tight twisties) go north until it ends at 35.
    At this point you can continue on 35 north to Dorset.
    here a map http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...,0.219383&z=12

i'll probably do the east of highway 11 and the bala/big chute on seperate days but that works out perfect as orillia is where i'll be crashing.
    If you will break it up, you can extend the Upper Big Chute route to include South Bay Road to Honey Harbour Road. Nice over there too.

That ride out to algonquin looks sweet but would make for a VERY long ride lol, i think that one would have to be a camping trip.
    As Kokla would say, "Mother of god that is far. And that's how I like it."

35 north of Minden is really nice. To be having fun though, you will be near 172 territory. There are a lot of sections with ridiculously low speed limits.

I took this route acouple weeks ago I was staying at Miners Bay lodge Right off of 35 on Gull lake (I go every year). I took a trip all the way upto huntsville and its a really good riding road. Its all freshly paved and very scenic just be careful the OPP were full force around minden... but I didnt notice any as I got further down 35.

Heres a Picture of a view off 117 I went down one night.

Thats a Left at the rights in Carnarvon about 5 mins from the lights. Real nice spot to relax and watch a sunset.
    Last edited by Favre; 08-09-2010 at 12:34 PM.

this thread just screams of win, thanks for all the suggestions and warnings.

I grew up here but spent the last few years in edmonton and learned to ride out there. Just moved back a few weeks ago and man is it good to be here

I like 35 a lot but frankly it's not really "twisties". More like nice sweepers, a little tighter north of Minden. Nice scenery though. 507, although not tight enough for some - there was a thread about speed on 507 recently IIRC - is a bit tighter than 35. Also, 118 is not bad in that area. I also like 21 - Minden to Haliburton. Nice road and scenery.
    Yeah, I know, lots of slabbing to get there, but it pays off once you hit highlands. BTW, I do this from Milton, so from my perspective doing it from Oshawa should be a piece of cake.
    Enjoy your ride whichever route you end up taking. Watch for gravel on the road if you take 507 - there was some construction going on couple of weeks ago.

i was also hearing from people today that 507 is heavily patrolled on the weekends, something i'm definitely going to keep in mind.

Next to zero traffic/cops up north during the week.
    Take a day off, you deserve it!

lol i'm unemployed at the moment and if that holds true next week, i might just have to if anyone else wants to come along pm me

118 east and west are great roads also the 141 takes you areound lake rosseau another great road!!

ya 35 south of dorset was to me very nice, i was surprised how nice it was. Worth it to include whatever your destination takes you FF Ride safe and yes watch the po po's on 507 especially w/e's