Southwood 13, 518 good condition except..

Thread: Southwood 13, 518 good condition except..

Southwood 13, 518 good condition except..

Did a run this past weekend, August 7th,and the roads are in great condition.

Southwood 13 is prime for a faster pace ride through, there was barely any sand in the corners, except for a few corners on the sides, but if you hold your tire track you'd be fine.

518 is in good condition, no sand, no traffic, good scenery. Only problem is construction through Orrville and East for approx 1km, loose gravel, torn up. Anything east of the construction is in great condition, other than the first km after the construction for obvious reasons.

All the other roads up there as well are great, perfect time to go for a run.

so..why are you still reading this? GO NOW!! GO!!!

Re: Southwood 13, 518 good condition except..

Just got back from doing a lap of Southwood, I would say its 3x better then the first time I did it back in May. You could get a nice flow going through there. The frost heaves going North SUCK!!! but coming back south was golden. Still some sand but the majority is good to go.

Just came back from a tour of the Muskoka's and thought I'd let you all know that Peninsula Rd (#7/632) from Port Carling area to Rosseau is good enough to ride. No more loose gravel anymore and it's hardpack on the 632 section. Just needs a topdressing of some blacktop and it will be awesome once again.

And yes, Southwood 13 going south was much better and lot's of fun. It's in great shape.

518 was still gravel for that small stretch east of Orville. Ravenscliffe had no sand at all and was in good condition.

Clear Lake Rd that leads over to Swords Rd was pure gravel and mud. It will be nice when it's done.
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

Quote Originally Posted by shanekingsley View Post
    Just came back from a tour of the Muskoka's and thought I'd let you all know that Peninsula Rd (#7/632) from Port Carling area to Rosseau is good enough to ride. No more loose gravel anymore and it's hardpack on the 632 section. Just needs a topdressing of some blacktop and it will be awesome once again.

And yes, Southwood 13 going south was much better and lot's of fun. It's in great shape.

518 was still gravel for that small stretch east of Orville. Ravenscliffe had no sand at all and was in good condition.

Clear Lake Rd that leads over to Swords Rd was pure gravel and mud. It will be nice when it's done.
    This is good to know. I will update my maps.

Southwood is in the best shape I've seen. Get out there now before it rains.

632 is in good shape, but there are no markings on the new section of the road. Be very careful there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    Southwood is in the best shape I've seen. Get out there now before it rains.

632 is in good shape, but there are no markings on the new section of the road. Be very careful there.

632 is not actually paved yet... how can it be good?

It is just compacted rock & a bit of tar spray. I was really hoping it would be paved by now. Its going to be great.

2001 CBR600F4i
    1992 CBR250RR

Quote Originally Posted by Syphen View Post
    632 is not actually paved yet... how can it be good?
    It's better than the loose gravel that it was. You can actually ride on it now. It's all relative.

I presume you are saying that the 632 has what we refer to as "chip seal" paving, not loose gravel? How is the construction between Orville and Swords Road on the 518 now? I am heading up there this coming long weekend.
    wib

CBR1100XX & R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by wib View Post
    I presume you are saying that the 632 has what we refer to as "chip seal" paving, not loose gravel? How is the construction between Orville and Swords Road on the 518 now? I am heading up there this coming long weekend.

Yes, that is the stuff. It is rideable but does not offer a great feel for riding twisties. Its almost like a mini cobblestone and gives a lot of bumpy feedback. I don't think its a good road to push on at all right now with its surface in that condition. I REALLY hope they plan on paving over that with good blacktop stuff - like High Falls Rd off Hwy 11.

2001 CBR600F4i
    1992 CBR250RR

High Falls Rd is absolutely fantastic , shame it's so short. It's like a little taste of Tennessee.
    The real problem with 632 is that this has been the 2nd cycle of tar and chip that they've done on it since last fall . Just when , exactly , do they plan on applying a proper surface to it ? Currently, it is passable at a brisk touring pace , but there is still enough random loose debris on it to be sketchy, and it's almost impossible to distinguish against the tar and chip base...
    Dan

A lot of the paving to the east just ends up like that, no extra paving, just chip seal. Even the 507 has a section like that. Hopfully the fact that Muskoka has a lot of rich cottages will push them to pave over the chip seal.
    wib

CBR1100XX & R1200GS

Just came back from Southwood.
    Was great.
    Quiet and the roads are in good condition,except,at the T junction,heading west.
    Sand everywhere,however,If you approach at normal speed you will see it it in plenty of time.

Not sure how it is now consisdering all the rain.
    Anybody able to update?
    Might spend a few days in the area this week.

(Copied from my other reply...)

I just got home from an afternoon run from Pickering (various routes to Washago) to Southwood Rd. #13. The ramp to Southwood from N/B #11 was closed for construction so I did the next turn around and hit it from the S/B ramp....I like the first section of Southwood, hence the turn around. Otherwise, you can catch it from Sparrow Lake D Rd. and go north to Torrance (intersection at #169), turn around and enjoy it again. Keep an eye out for frost heaves and the occasional gravel patches (and damp roads!). It was a great way to blow off an afternoon and was empty of ANY traffic.

PS. Avoid Brechin on #12 N...the construction is causing about a 15 minute delay. If coming from the south up #12, grab #47 north of Talbot (the bridge is out) and come into Brechin that way...you miss the construction by coming into the centre of (town?)
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

'05 GSXR 600, IXIL S/S dual undertail exhaust, Gorilla alarm, Vortex sliders, Vortex levers, CA integrated tail lights/flush mounts, Hotbodies hugger, HEL S/S lines, Blue DB windscreen

Quote Originally Posted by smokeeater341 View Post
    (Copied from my other reply...)

I just got home from an afternoon run from Pickering (various routes to Washago) to Southwood Rd. #13. The ramp to Southwood from N/B #11 was closed for construction so I did the next turn around and hit it from the S/B ramp....I like the first section of Southwood, hence the turn around. Otherwise, you can catch it from Sparrow Lake D Rd. and go north to Torrance (intersection at #169), turn around and enjoy it again. Keep an eye out for frost heaves and the occasional gravel patches (and damp roads!). It was a great way to blow off an afternoon and was empty of ANY traffic.

PS. Avoid Brechin on #12 N...the construction is causing about a 15 minute delay. If coming from the south up #12, grab #47 north of Talbot (the bridge is out) and come into Brechin that way...you miss the construction by coming into the centre of (town?)
    Thanks.
    Good info.

Banned

Southwood 13 going south is in excellent condition,one big patch of sand in the center of the road about half way through,very little gravel(nothing of concern)632 is still the same as was mentioned earlier in this thread(that hard pack sh*t)but otherwise still decent enough

Yup, I just got back from Southwood rd. Its in great conditions, sandy shoulders, which is to be expected, and a few frost heaves here and there. Its much better then I've seen it in a long time, just ride at a sane speed, and everyone will be fine.

Watch out for aholes on bicycles though, they like to ride 3 abreast and take up the entire lane
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta