coming to a complete stop = stall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coming to a complete stop = stall

coming to a complete stop = stall

beginner here again with another question.

When I come to a complete stop at a stop sign I stalled couple times. I Am just wondering what I did wrong ?

also a big question I need to know is , lets say I am on 4th gear and I need to QUICKLY slow down , light turns red or someone pulls the brakes infront of me , will I have the time to pull in throttle shift to 3......2....1...N? what if I shifted straight from 4th to 1st? I will probably mess up the bike and fly off ?

Do they teach all this in the riding course?

Last question whats the best gear to just cruise on ?? .. lets say 60km-70km .
    Last edited by Darknightz; 08-06-2010 at 02:37 PM.
    lone wolf

Re: coming to a complete stop = stall

They teach it other than probably not getting to 4th gear, and seldom 3rd. Avoidance as well, if stopping is not possible or feasible.

At the very least it's two days of using the clutch so much that you'll probably not stall again (except for the odd brain fart).

most likely the clutch too quickly. let it out slowly, when the bike starts to move add a small amount of throttle and let the rest of it out. smoothly.

shifting down - it's not a true downshift at that point, just banging down through the gears. sequential gearbox. a downshift is when you let the cluthc back out in the lower gear and use the engine to slow you down also.

yes they teach this in all courses, some parking lots won't be big enough to justify 4 th gear

depends on your bike's gearing. what bike? I'd suspest 3rd is a good gear to cruise in for most bikes. Maybe 2nd if your gearing is tall enough

Quote Originally Posted by Darknightz View Post

When I come to a complete stop at a stop sign I stalled couple times. I Am just wondering what I did wrong ?

also a big question I need to know is , lets say I am on 4th gear and I need to QUICKLY slow down , light turns red or someone pulls the brakes infront of me , will I have the time to pull in throttle shift to 3......2....1...N? what if I shifted straight from 4th to 1st? I will probably mess up the bike and fly off ?

If your stalling before you stop - Make sure your pulling the clutch in when stopped.... or about to stop... don't leave the clutch engaged and hit it brakes, else it'll just stall when your stopping.

If your stalling after you stop and ready to go - make sure your letting out the clutch and not dumping it and make sure your in first gear...

If you want to quickly slow down (emergency break) just pull in your clutch and hit both your brakes, forget about gearing down, gear down after you have come to a complete stop...

The best gear to cruise on depends on your bike. For a Ninja 250... 6th gear. For a SS, you can cruise @ 1st gear or 2nd, as a matter of fact any gear. It really depends on if your want to save gas or not.

P.S you can't go from 4th to 1st in an instant. You must go down one by one.
    Last edited by Sushii; 08-06-2010 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sushii View Post
    If you want to quickly slow down (emergency break) just pull in your clutch and hit both your brakes, forget about gearing down, gear down after you have come to a complete stop...
    DONT listen to this.

Pull in on everything, and push down on everything - including your shifter as many times as it takes to get to first gear. Might as well do this while stopping, takes no more time and when you realize the truck behind you can't stop that quick you are ready to take off in 1st gear. Not panic, forget you are in 4th gear and stall trying to get out of the way.

Smush

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    DONT listen to this.

Pull in on everything, and push down on everything - including your shifter as many times as it takes to get to first gear. Might as well do this while stopping, takes no more time and when you realize the truck behind you can't stop that quick you are ready to take off in 1st gear. Not panic, forget you are in 4th gear and stall trying to get out of the way.

Smush
    I was taught, when in an emergency situation you want to have one less thing to worry about (shifting down). Emergency stop shouldn't be used when a light turns red or when someone infront of your brakes anyways (Why put yourself in that situation? Slow down when its orange don't charge it... Don't follow to closely and you'll never need to quickly brake when someone infront of your brakes.). Its only used in emergency situations where you will need to come to a complete stop.
    Last edited by Sushii; 08-06-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Anyone who is teaching that should be shot.

You either have gotten it wrong or someone is teaching the wrong thing.

Seems like you are learning how to ride all on your own.. I am also guessing you are not familiar with bikes and have not taken a course.. would you like a few pointers today, I wouldn't mind dropping by and try to help you out a bit, while you wait for the course.
    Here is where I put my signature!!

2012 Candy Green Kawasaki 250cc
    2000 Black Honda Rebel 250cc - Sold

Anyone who is teaching that should be shot.

You either have gotten it wrong or someone is teaching the wrong thing.
    Motorcycle Safety Course... i edited my previous post. Emergency braking shouldn't be used to stop for a light or because a car infront of you uses the brakes.

I know, I can read - what school told you that?

In an emergency how do you know that once stopped you don't have to get going again? it's an emergency - be ready for the next thing.

Rider ready position was what it was termed to me 20 years ago.

Downshift, let out the clutch completly while railing on your brakes.

Don't shift all the way to one then let the clutch out, it'll just lock the back tire.

Keep you cool and slow down using normal procedure, except harder and faster, (thats what she said).
    Vivere est vincere

I know, I can read - what school told you that?

In an emergency how do you know that once stopped you don't have to get going again? it's an emergency - be ready for the next thing.

Rider ready position was what it was termed to me 20 years ago.
    Totally makes sense, and i agree with you completely but when people panic they usually don't shift down but instead just disengage engine and brake. Having another thing to worry about isn't always a good idea.

Not sure about the stalling at stops. What exactly are you doing when coming to a stop?

If you need to stop quickly, whether true emergency or not, there's nothing wrong with pulling in the clutch and gearing all the way down before stopping. Although I don't recommend leaving the bike in neutral once stopped - keep it in gear in case you need to quickly get out of the way.

Yes, they teach this in a riding course.

Best gear to cruise in? Depends on the bike. On my Ninja 650R 3rd gear is pretty comfortable for 60-70kmh. On my CB125 I'd be in 4th or 5th. Each bike has a 'sweet spot' in the rpm range that one should try and strive for, dependent on the speed they're traveling.

Motorcycle Safety Course... i edited my previous post. Emergency braking shouldn't be used to stop for a light or because a car infront of you uses the brakes.
    Geez, which course was this? I'll be sure to tell people to avoid it.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

Please PM me and tell me where and when you did your course - information like this is not helpful at all.

In panic situations muscle memory can take over. Practising the right things right off the bat will make you make the correct response.

Your foot is there anyway - you can bang down through the gears with the clutch pulled in, be ready for the take off. Practise this lots.

I'd really worry about the truck behind me, and let me guess - a shoulder/mirror check right away is just another thing too eh?

If it makes sense - start to do it and stop arguing for christ sake

Please PM me and tell me where and when you did your course - information like this is not helpful at all.

In panic situations muscle memory can take over. Practising the right things right off the bat will make you make the correct response.

Your foot is there anyway - you can bang down through the gears with the clutch pulled in, be ready for the take off. Practise this lots.

I'd really worry about the truck behind me, and let me guess - a shoulder/mirror check right away is just another thing too eh?

If it makes sense - start to do it and stop arguing for christ sake
    Slowing down on a daily basis is different from emergency stop. I was taught to always down shift while slowing normally but during emergency breaks its really optional.

P.S I never told him to not down shift after he has come to a complete stop every time just in emergency situations.

We practiced emergency stops like crazy at my course. Hard braking coupled with banging down the gears, and once coming to a stop doing a shoulder check on both sides. The whole point of practicing this over 'n over 'n over again was to develop the muscle memory to make this an automatic reaction. Another reason why parking lot practice of these basic manuevers is important, in order to keep these instincts alive and well.
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

Slowing down on a daily basis is different from emergency stop.
    True enough, but.....nevermind, shortstop beat me to it.

Slowing down on a daily basis is different from emergency stop. I was taught to always down shift while slowing normally but during emergency breaks its really optional.

P.S I never told him to not down shift after he has come to a complete stop every time just in emergency situations.
    Exactly. This isn't the ideal or safest way to do an emergency stop.
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

sigh - don't listen to sushi - that's my advice at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by short stop View Post
    Exactly. This isn't the ideal or safest way to do an emergency stop.
    Let me clarify because i confused myself reading it.

Always shift down when your coming to a stopping (normally) - I have never ever said to ignore down shifting on regular basis.
    Shifting down is really optional when your doing an emergency stop (One less thing to worry about and sometimes you stop faster than you can shift down (Smaller displacement bikes that cruise on 6th gear).
    Last edited by Sushii; 08-06-2010 at 03:28 PM.