VFR - 5th vs 6th generation

Thread: VFR - 5th vs 6th generation

VFR - 5th vs 6th generation

Just looking for some input. Looking at both 5th & 6th generation VFR's. I know some differences are the VTEC, catalytic converter, closed vs open loop fuel injection, underseat exhaust.

I like the headlamp setup on the 5th generation cosmetically but that's just personal preference. Just wondering about what owners have to say about both as am coming in completely green. Vibration, heat issues, driver & passenger comfort, etc.

I liked my FZ6 but was just a bit too small for comfortable long-haul cruising (again personal preference, 20k later so don't flame me). I couldn't commit to the big jump to the bigger bikes (ST1300, FJR) then out of the blue I ran across a VFR ...
    What's in a name? Well apparently nothing as i now ride a Suzuki er/um Honda ...
    2000 VFR
    1989 VMax

Re: VFR - 5th vs 6th generation

I'm kind of in the same position, put 50k km so far on my FZ6 and keep dreaming of an upgrade to a 6th gen VFR. I've ridden the 6th gen VFR at a demo ride, and absolutely adored it, really is an incredible bike. However, I haven't ridden a 5th gen.

Points to consider that I've found on the net, the 6th gen doesn't really get great mileage, about the same as most litre's, but it has a large tank, so you should be getting about the same to a tank as a FZ6. Valve adjustment need to be done either every 16k miles or 32k but is expensive and hard to do with the vtec system. Otherwise I think the 6th gen is a gorgeous bike in terms of looks and performance. You can also still find brand new 6th gens in the states (there's a 25th anniversary on e-bay right now) for cheaper than used models are selling here.

I haven't really looked into 5th gen's as I prefer to buy my bikes near new with low mileage to save possible headaches and they're at least eight years old at this point.

Other bikes that I dream of are 2nd gen FZ1 (small fuel range, otherwise would be a serious contender), or maybe a Bimmer k1200s or r1200s

I had a 5th gen for a few years. 5th gen has gear driven cams, 6th is chain driven. Gear driven cams means no issues with cam chain tensioners. Seating for me was good, but, unless you are built the same as me, and also have rods and screws in your back, it is not really relevent. You need to go sit on these bikes to see how they feel to you.
    I was getting just over 400km to a tank of fuel, and could do that in one shot without discomfort, but YMMV. You will be hard pressed to find a smoother runnning engine in all rpm ranges than the v4. One thing that was odd, the 800 has little power under about 2500 rpm. I also had 1000cc v4 hondas, they would pull smoothly from idle to redline.

I picked up a 06 VFR out of Virginia last December to replace my 03 Katana and love it.
    I've put 14k on mine so far including a week down at deals gap 2 weeks ago.

From what I've read the vtec valve adj is time consuming and expensive if you get it done at a dealer. A few members on both vfrd and vfrw are hitting close to 60k+ miles with no valve adj done. One even posted a step by step tutorial with tool list for those that want to go the DIY route.

Cruising down and back from Deals Gap we did 75-85mph and I was getting 200 miles to the tank, I was with a guy on a new connie 14 and he'd be flashing reserve wile I was on my last bar. In the twisties in vtec she was thirstier and ran hotter.

If your after a vfr of any generation and have even a small interest in touring try to find one with hard bags. It's cheaper to get one that already has them rather than finding a set after you get the bike. Also I'd say look south of the border for one, the economy is still bad and many are selling their toys. The vfr is an acquired taste IMHO and you can probably lowball any that are listed and get an even better deal.

This one looks good (not mine, btw):
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123729

5th gen all the way. Head over to vfrworld.com and search, there are many threads on the topic.

Again as mentioned above, gear driven cams and no Vtec makes a good combination.

The 5th gen is considered by most VFR riders to be the most desirable generation and most sporty of the bunch.

Get your self a Sargent seat, some risers and you will be able to ride for hours and hours. And a nice Staintune doesn't hurt!

I have almost 50k on mine and it's runs like a swiss watch.

And if you need any springs I have an extra set of race tech .95's for the front.
    My Ride 1999 Honda VFR 800

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    5th gen all the way. Head over to vfrworld.com and search, there are many threads on the topic.

Again as mentioned above, gear driven cams and no Vtec makes a good combination.

The 5th gen is considered by most VFR riders to be the most desirable generation and most sporty of the bunch.

Get your self a Sargent seat, some risers and you will be able to ride for hours and hours. And a nice Staintune doesn't hurt!

I have almost 50k on mine and it's runs like a swiss watch.

And if you need any springs I have an extra set of race tech .95's for the front.

5Th gen all the way .Superbike magazine did a comparison in their November 2008 issue .The 5th gen won . For the reasons some people already stated .I have copy if someone wants to drop by and get it .

08 VRSCDXA
    99 VFR800
    90 GSXR1100
    88 600 Katana
    84 VF500F
    84 Yamaha XS 400
    84 Suzuki GS400

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting '..holy **** ....what a ride!'

Well im a 5th gen owner with over 60 k on the bike it has been flawless, so i'm a little bias but have rideen both gen's and comfort wise i would go 6th gen, ease of maintnenace and gear driven cams go with 5th gen. BTW that bike you posted a link to is a friend of mine Robert, its immaculate and a good buy.Head over to vfrdiscussion.com there is a wealth of info and some smoking deals on bikes too. Snoop around the site. Lots of info. Good luck in your search. shoot me a pm if you need any questions answered ... my handle on vfrd is dude

This probably isn't relevant to the discussion but my neighbour has what looks like an immaculate VFR (gen.?) sitting uncovered in the driveway for over a year. Never see it moved. Pity.

Thanks all for the feedback. Picked up a 2000 VFR today. Chunked a connecting rod in the C50 so didn't really start off in a good place, but hopefully will end up in one !

Logged a hundred or so km's this afternoon and although it has 1" risers, i'll probably be on the hunt for something a little more ... we'll see.
    What's in a name? Well apparently nothing as i now ride a Suzuki er/um Honda ...
    2000 VFR
    1989 VMax

I was in the same boat, wanting to up-grade from my 98 Katana. I took a look at the Triumph Sprint, Honda VFR and the Suzuki SV1000S. Ended up with the SV just because an 03 with only 5000km came up for sale and couldn't pass it up. The Honda that I sat on had the same up right geometry as my Kat an would be quit a bit my comfortable then my SV. Have fun logging the miles on her. Guess I'm saying great choice.