Ride to to Indy for the MotoGP weekend!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ride to to Indy for the MotoGP weekend!!!

Banned

Thumbs up Ride to to Indy for the MotoGP weekend!!!

Hey y'all, I'm putting this forward as a casual ride out.

Basically I intend to leave for Indy weekend 9am Thursday 26th (probably end up being 10am) from the Hurontario and Eglinton Timmy's.

There isn't going to be a fast group, a slow group, or route maps, or scenic winding routes (unless it doesn't add much time to the already lengthy 9 hour ride). No stunting, no crazy speeding....we want to actually make it to the GP, not lose our bikes or licences half way there.

The objective here is to head down to Indy, and if it grows into a GTA reppin' ride showing up at Indy then all the better.

I'm definately heading out (by bike) regardless of turn out, and if anyone else was thinking about it and the company will help entice them, then glad to be of service.

I already got my ticket from here:

http://www.gpticketshop.com/en/motog...p/tickets.html

and I will be sitting in the "H" stands to see the last few corners and the front straight. It is also right across from a jumbo screen. My ticket is also for the whole weekend and I plan to catch FP1, FP2, QP, WU and all the races.

The return to Toronto may be split over Sunday and Monday, or a straight trip back on Monday.

These details can be ironed out as the time approaches.

So far the list is:

Alaywa (confirmed: event tickets purchased)
    Hassangh
    Last edited by alaywa; 07-30-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Re: Ride to to Indy for the MotoGP weekend!!!

lol yaaa!!! its nearly official, will get my friend to buy the tkts and hes in as well!!
    cant wait!!!

Banned

Talking Re: Ride to to Indy for the MotoGP weekend!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hassangh View Post
    lol yaaa!!! its nearly official, will get my friend to buy the tkts and hes in as well!!
    cant wait!!!

Pm me with this hotel details when you get them plz.

Alaywa (confirmed: event tickets purchased)
    Hassangh (confirmed)
    slo.mo (confirmed)

Banned

Talking Re: Ride to to Indy for the MotoGP weekend!!!

Update: Got my GP tickets in the mail!!!!

Planning on riding back through Detroit on the Sunday, half trip. Other half Monday.

Its dead official now!

I am heading there as well on Thursday, leaving from Waterloo, would not mind to do some side roads on the way, did that in the past 2 years and they were way better then interstate all the way

I'll be tenting there, got already tickets, going back on Sunday or Monday

Would rather leave earlier than 10AM but I am open to suggestions, can suggest some side roads if you are interested

thanks
    2008 Yamaha R1
    2008 Yamaha R6
    2007 Yamaha R6
    1994 Kawasaki ZX6
    1986 MZ ETZ-250

Quote Originally Posted by bojan View Post
    I am heading there as well on Thursday, leaving from Waterloo, would not mind to do some side roads on the way, did that in the past 2 years and they were way better then interstate all the way

I'll be tenting there, got already tickets, going back on Sunday or Monday

Would rather leave earlier than 10AM but I am open to suggestions, can suggest some side roads if you are interested

thanks

interesting, about these side roads, how much of a detour is it from the normal highway route?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hassangh View Post
    interesting, about these side roads, how much of a detour is it from the normal highway route?

I don't know, let's find out from this guy. I don't mind splitting off for a few windy roads. The change of pace will help with the numb hands and boredom too!

it might add an 1-2 hours but it is manageable for a day, we could still do some expressways to speed thing up and pick some best side roads on the way, they are not the best but not as boring, I could send some samples
    2008 Yamaha R1
    2008 Yamaha R6
    2007 Yamaha R6
    1994 Kawasaki ZX6
    1986 MZ ETZ-250

Banned

Question Re: Ride to to Indy for the MotoGP weekend!!!

I'm up for som twisties. So we all go early Thursday morn? Ideally I would like to be in Indy by 9 in the evening the latest.

last year it took me 11.5 hours, side roads all the way even with some detours, if we take some highways, we should be within 10-10.5 hours, you need another hour from Toronto, in worst case 12 hours rides, so if you leave at 8AM we should be at 8PM or earlier, I bet there is going to be another stunt championship, it's worth to check it out, Thursday night there should be something to do too
    2008 Yamaha R1
    2008 Yamaha R6
    2007 Yamaha R6
    1994 Kawasaki ZX6
    1986 MZ ETZ-250

last year it took me 11.5 hours, side roads all the way even with some detours, if we take some highways, we should be within 10-10.5 hours, you need another hour from Toronto, in worst case 12 hours rides, so if you leave at 8AM we should be at 8PM or earlier, I bet there is going to be another stunt championship, it's worth to check it out, Thursday night there should be something to do too

worth checking out for sure, a few twisties might be good to make the trip less boring - also we have someone with us who just started riding this year, it might give him more confidence to know we wont be on the highway the whole time

i remember riding with u, earlier this year on lil red birds ride to calaboogie
    i was the 1 with the blue 500 ninja
    see u around, cheers

on motogp.com, it says 9 days and 20 hrs 28 minutes and 38 seconds left
    date is getting closer and closer

yep, I recognized your name, if we get a larger group that might be even more fun, I'll work on the route, will mix good and boring roads, how early you can get around Kitchener? earlier the better, more time to spend and Indy, we should start setup a meeting points
    2008 Yamaha R1
    2008 Yamaha R6
    2007 Yamaha R6
    1994 Kawasaki ZX6
    1986 MZ ETZ-250

yep, I recognized your name, if we get a larger group that might be even more fun, I'll work on the route, will mix good and boring roads, how early you can get around Kitchener? earlier the better, more time to spend and Indy, we should start setup a meeting points
    lol, cant make the call, alawya is the leader here, he would have to agree

Banned

Thumbs up Re: Ride to to Indy for the MotoGP weekend!!!

I'm open to suggestions. Any way to send a google route map or something? I must admit I'm not so familiar with the roads around these parts. And I welcome good company!

We have a few days to work it out. I'm thinking we depart from Mississauga at 8:30 to 9am. That should put us in Kitchener by 9:20 to 9:50 ish ball park.

I know I'm riding an SS so I will definitely need stops every hour and a half (max). At 45 mins hands start going numb on a straight highway. Twisties are far less numbing on me and I can go much longer. Problem is the time is longer and the distance is the same. So I would like to mix up some highway with twisties.

Anyways we can coordinate over this weekend and solidify the plans.

Hey do we all have Blue Jay hats? Should we also plan a meet down there and get all the TO guys together that headed down on different schedules?

I'm getting excited thinking about the possibilities!

Here are 2 suggestions for the route, might still think about another one

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...62&ie=UTF8&z=8

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...99,7.13562&z=8

good meeting spot in Kitchener is Tim Hortons at Homer Watson Blvd (exit 275)

I am open to meet any other Canadians, there is always many of them at the camping site.

Is anyone tenting by the circuit? 2 years ago it was awesome party and bonfire, I hope for the same this year, last year only handful of tents and trailers showed up.
    Last edited by bojan; 08-18-2010 at 04:07 PM.
    2008 Yamaha R1
    2008 Yamaha R6
    2007 Yamaha R6
    1994 Kawasaki ZX6
    1986 MZ ETZ-250

Here are 2 suggestions for the route, might still think about another one

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...62&ie=UTF8&z=8

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...99,7.13562&z=8

good meeting spot in Kitchener is Tim Hortons at Homer Watson Blvd (exit 275)

I am open to meet any other Canadians, there is always many of them at the camping site.

Is anyone tenting by the circuit? 2 years ago it was awesome party and bonfire, I hope for the same this year, last year only handful of tents and trailers showed up.
    the first map is quite ideal actually
    worth checking out, good mix of roads to keep it interesting

Banned

Exclamation Re: Ride to to Indy for the MotoGP weekend!!!

Hassan, Bojan,

I'm thinking of this route:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...9433f0a68d03b2

Straight forward to Detroit. Once in Toledo depending how we feel after that kind of riding we can decide whether to go for some twisties or head down the 75 then across West on the 70.

The twistis add about 2 hours to the route so I think we save the decision till then.

Hassan PM me with the hotel details we will be staying at (address, name, rates, etc.)

I'm still planning on an Thursday 26, 8:30am departure from Highway 10 and Eglinton Tim's and swinging by Bojan in Kitchener for 9:30.

So I believe that is a party of 4 once we pick up Bojan.

Banned

Thumbs up Weather

Thursday:

Toronto: 22C, Isolated Showers (less than 1mm)
    Detroit: 23C, Variable Clouds
    Indy: 25C, Sunny

Friday to Sunday:
    Toronto: 25C to 27C Sunny
    Detroit: N/A
    Indy: N/A

So far it looks like my rain gear isn't making the trip with me!