Green plate issue with Dirt bike.

Thread: Green plate issue with Dirt bike.

Green plate issue with Dirt bike.

Recently I purchased an 09 KX45F from a local gentlman.

Here is the breakdown:
    1 Bike was purchased and brought across the border from N.Y. All legit paperwork, taxes etc.
    2 Previous owner told the border it was competition use only as he raced it
    3 I recently purchased it from him with ALL paper work etc.
    4 I cannot get it green plated as the DMV says they need a Form 1
    5 The RIV say’s they don’t give out Form 1 to competition use bikes as they are not regulated.

I have it insured with State Farm however I am stuck as neither the DMV or RIV will help me. I know this may seem like a crazy scenario however I really wanted to join the SCORRA and have run out of options. I can always sell it and purchase something else but WOW do I ever love this bike.

Have you ever known anyone else to encounter this type of situation?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Green plate issue with Dirt bike.

Quote Originally Posted by 3boys+ View Post
    1 Bike was purchased and brought across the border from N.Y. All legit paperwork, taxes etc.
    I don't understand how you have all legit paperwork and paid taxes etc if the bike was never properly imported.

What "legit" paperwork are you talking about? Sounds to me like the owner (US resident) simply brought it across for personal use, and never actually imported it (just left it in Canada).

I'm also not sure about this whole "competition use only" thing, and the fact that RIV claims they are not regulated. Providing it has a VIN number, you should have no problems importing it.
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

You still need the letter stating that there are no outstanding recall issues, if it's to be plated. That's what created the sticky situation; it has already been exported, so the US is satisfied that the paperwork was sufficient for the purpose, but Canada/Ontario isn't.

It's a tough situation, if the RIV won't help. From their point of view you might as well have imported a Moto GP bike; never going to be road-worthy.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

The guy who brought it over is a Cdn resident. I have all the proper recall forms with a letter from Kawi etc and it was properly imported.
    He even had the Form 1 open but decided to call and cancel it as it wasnt going to be plated.

What he did was rather than have to pay $200 and get the bike verified by a Cdn Tire for the RIV he said it was for closed course competition use only.
    Looks like no green plate for me! I wanted to join the SCORRA.

Cancelling form 1 puts you out of luck unless you can find a sympathetic dealer that is willing to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Cancelling form 1 puts you out of luck unless you can find a sympathetic dealer that is willing to help out.
    That is EXATLY what is was thinking. Please help me understand how a sympathetic dealer can help... I am desprite and will explore that option if needed.

a dealer has the ability to make an end run around to problem.

They can make it look as though they have brought the bike in and get the required paperwork.

If you've got a hot wife or girlfriend, you're better off sending her in

The peeps over at www.odsc.on.ca might be able to help.