Jevco 400% sport bike premium? - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jevco 400% sport bike premium?

Re: Jevco 400% sport bike premium?

If I am covered by the single insurer OHIP then why am I paying the insurance companies for basic medical coverage as well.

I get hurt I hit a hospital - I've paid my premium for that.

and why with a single driver and two vehicles am I paying for the coverage twice for my medical.

Give us a break - it's ****ed and insurers are predators in this province.....with the gov collusion.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
    If I am covered by the single insurer OHIP then why am I paying the insurance companies for basic medical coverage as well.

and why with a single driver and two vehicles am I paying for the coverage twice for my medical.

Give us a break - it's ****ed and insurers are predators in this province.....with the gov collusion.
    All of these questions have been addressed in other threads.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post

The insurance companies reimburse OHIP to cover the cost of collision-related medical treatment. A couple of years ago, that amount was $2 Billion.

As for having 2 vehicles and one driver, the reason you pay twice (often less with multi-vehicle discount) is because two vehicles can be operated simultaneously. The potential exposure to the insurance companies is there, and we have no shortage of scam artists right here on this board who would take full advantage of it.

I can easily see one person here "owning" a dozen bikes under 1 single insurance policy, and then "renting" the deep-discount insurance policy to 11 of his friends, and they would justify it the same way they justify all the other insurance scams. Nobody wants to pay for something they can't hold in their hands and play with, that they can't see immediate gratification for.
    Last edited by turbodish; 08-16-2010 at 07:57 PM.

Look long story short. We all paid real high insurance at the start. That's why I rode an old cm400. Only now 10 years later I can Concider an SS. Heck I got a 29 year old Honda 750f SS and its still over a g note to ride. Pay to play or just ride uninsured and pray for the best. But posting a rant about prices here will here will get you no where. I know you don't want to hear this but if you want to ride more than anything get an older lower displacement bike 500cc or under. It may not be the ride of your dreams but at least your riding. That's what is important right? Next it'll be " I just got my G1 and bought an F40, why wont any one insure me?" It sucks but there is a reality here. You have little to no experiance on a bike, why should anyone trust your skills on a SS right now?
    Last edited by Venom01; 08-16-2010 at 07:48 PM.

So if im gonna be like 19 years old planning to get a kawasaki ninja 250R

Im gonna get whacked with the 400% premium?!

Quote Originally Posted by Bweixz View Post

The ninja 250 is not considered a sportbike by insurers.

Your premium will be higher because of your age and inexperience, but you won't be hit with the SS surcharge on a Ninja 250. SS surcharges only apply to Sport bikes 600CC and up. The Ninja 250 is a perfect starter bike.

In case you didn't read this:
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=111466
    Last edited by VifferFun; 08-18-2010 at 07:57 AM.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

The entire problem of high insurance rates in Ontario is rooted in the immense claims and payouts people receive.
    The bloated cost of healthcare and corrupted physicians and therapists don't help either.
    No one really cares about how much your bike or car is worth.
    The cost of repairing your body (at least in Ontario) is immense by comparison.
    The amount of people scamming the system significantly add to the problem.

Most insurance companies are making an attempt to scare the highest risk groups away.
    While it's not fair to many it does reduce the cost of running a business.
    Last edited by DemonPig; 08-18-2010 at 09:48 AM.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    Your premium will be higher because of your age and inexperience, but you won't be hit with the SS surcharge on a Ninja 250. SS surcharges only apply to Sport bikes 600CC and up. The Ninja 250 is a perfect starter bike.

In case you didn't read this:
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=111466

ooooooo phew thanks guys my motorcycle dream is still alivee
    hmm my plan is to just get my m2 next month cuz im still 18 and sit on it till im able to afford insurance lmao

ooooooo phew thanks guys my motorcycle dream is still alivee
    hmm my plan is to just get my m2 next month cuz im still 18 and sit on it till im able to afford insurance lmao
    If you're serious then don't delay . . . Jevco will give you the "experienced" rate, which is about 40% cheaper, one year after you get your M1/M2 (regardless of whether or not you were insured during that time). If you get your M1 today, you will qualify for the cheaper rate on August 18, 2011.

If you're serious then don't delay . . . Jevco will give you the "experienced" rate, which is about 40% cheaper, one year after you get your M1/M2 (regardless of whether or not you were insured during that time). If you get your M1 today, you will qualify for the cheaper rate on August 18, 2011.
    Oh yeah im serious, haha i already got my m1 aug 13 and booked my m2 on the same day no procrastination >=D

Oh yeah im serious, haha i already got my m1 aug 13 and booked my m2 on the same day no procrastination >=D
    Good stuff. You'll qualify for Jevco's experienced rate on August 13, 2011. Unfortunately, most of the Spring/Summer will already be over by that point. It's too bad that you didn't get your M1 in April or May.

Just to be very clear... since the Ninja 250 is NOT surcharged, the Ninja 500 also wouldn't be, right? Because it technically isn't a sportbike (as far as I know). I'm just asking because I'm looking into insurance for next season (by which time I'll have 1yr of M1/M2, and be 21) and wondering which bike to start on. I've also had a few people (including a broker - who is not familiar with bikes) simply see the name ninja 500, and look at a picture of one and say "oh thats a sportbike, no way you can afford insurance on that".

Back me up here: the ninja 500 is a perfectly acceptable bike (and relatively affordable) to start on, right?

Also, is the difference in price much different between a cruiser 500 and a ninja 500?

(Other info: Male, I will be 21, with a year of M1/M2, and 5 years of car experience, Rider Training done)

Have a look at a supermoto or a dual sport. It's a fun way of bridging that gap as opposed to the cruiser, and your sportbike friends just can't keep up when the road turns to gravel.
    Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Ako17 View Post
    Just to be very clear... since the Ninja 250 is NOT surcharged, the Ninja 500 also wouldn't be, right? Because it technically isn't a sportbike (as far as I know). I'm just asking because I'm looking into insurance for next season (by which time I'll have 1yr of M1/M2, and be 21) and wondering which bike to start on. I've also had a few people (including a broker - who is not familiar with bikes) simply see the name ninja 500, and look at a picture of one and say "oh thats a sportbike, no way you can afford insurance on that".

Back me up here: the ninja 500 is a perfectly acceptable bike (and relatively affordable) to start on, right?

Also, is the difference in price much different between a cruiser 500 and a ninja 500?

(Other info: Male, I will be 21, with a year of M1/M2, and 5 years of car experience, Rider Training done)

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Absolutely! I don't know of any insurer who surcharges the Ninja 500.

As a general rule, it doesn't matter what the bike looks like -- if it has under 600CC, then it's not a Sport Bike. Some examples of "sporty" looking bike that aren't surcharged:

Ninja 250
    Ninja 500
    Suzuki GSX500F
    Honda CBR125

I don't think there will be any difference in premium between a 500CC cruiser and a 500CC "sport" bike. The reason why cruisers are cheaper is because they aren't surcharged, but the bikes I listed about aren't surcharged either.

FYI:
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-the-best-rate

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    Have a look at a supermoto or a dual sport. It's a fun way of bridging that gap as opposed to the cruiser, and your sportbike friends just can't keep up when the road turns to gravel.
    Just a thought.
    Yeah, I was thinking of something like this maybe as a 2nd bike (or once my friends finally get their M1's and get dual sports as well). Until then, I'm thinkin' Ninja!

Absolutely! I don't know of any insurer who surcharges the Ninja 500.

As a general rule, it doesn't matter what the bike looks like -- if it has under 600CC, then it's not a Sport Bike. Some examples of "sporty" looking bike that aren't surcharged:

Ninja 250
    Ninja 500
    Suzuki GSX500F
    Honda CBR125

I don't think there will be any difference in premium between a 500CC cruiser and a 500CC "sport" bike. The reason why cruisers are cheaper is because they aren't surcharged, but the bikes I listed about aren't surcharged either.

FYI:
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-the-best-rate
    This is the way I understood it too, so thanks for the clarification.

As a side note, I'd just like to thank you for writing all of those stickies, its really helped me understand more of how Ontario insurance works, and which companies are likely to give me a good rate.

Thanks for the replies!

This is the way I understood it too, so thanks for the clarification.

As a side note, I'd just like to thank you for writing all of those stickies, its really helped me understand more of how Ontario insurance works, and which companies are likely to give me a good rate.

Thanks for the replies!
    No problem

The Ninja 500 is a perfect bike to start on, both for insurance and for developing your skill set.

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

I recently heard that Jevco counts the 650R as a supersport because of the "Ninja" name while charging way less for the ER6N which is literally exactly the same bike (all the parts are the same) except for the front fairings and headlight.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

Quote Originally Posted by unL33T View Post
    I recently heard that Jevco counts the 650R as a supersport because of the "Ninja" name while charging way less for the ER6N which is literally exactly the same bike (all the parts are the same) except for the front fairings and headlight.
    Call a broker and you'll get an immediate answer.