Lean angles - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lean angles

Re: Lean angles

Quote Originally Posted by toybm View Post
    Maybe he is from the same school as Mat Mladin? http://www.onthethrottle.com/races/m...champ-part-11/
    I don't think Mat Mladin recommends to have the butt on one side of the bike and the torso and head on the other...
    Last edited by KTM250SX; 08-02-2010 at 06:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by KTM250SX View Post
    I don't think Mat Mladin recomends to have the butt on one side of the bike and the torso and head on the other...
    Interesting. He didn't want to be critical of other's way of doing things which is fine, but I would have loved to hear the thinking behind his way of riding at least. :/
    There is no planet B.

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

What does Nicky Hayden Say ?

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    Interesting. He didn't want to be critical of other's way of doing things which is fine, but I would have loved to hear the thinking behind his way of riding at least. :/
    There is no one right way to ride a bike fast, it has a lot to do with how you're taught, your riding style and what feels comfortable to you. There are certain methods that are taught more frequently and are generally accepted as "better" bu there is more than one way to do it... buddy on that R1 is not what i would consider the "better" way.

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post
    Something about hay bales and rear brake? I wasn't listening...

HAHA ...

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=119433

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

It's true!
    this is the lowest I can get my elbows and it is still at least a good 5-6 inches away from touching...
    You need longer arms
    (Yesterday at Calabogie)

this kid is 5'6"

while im still struggling with not dragging my toes
    Last edited by TomC; 08-02-2010 at 11:06 PM.
    For sale, 2007 Aprilia SXV 450 Supermoto
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...prilia-sxv-450

Look how twisted up his left hand is to get the shot. Don't think he'd be doing that normally.

Brett McCormick.....6'1"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brett_mccormick_0615.jpg  

Hanging off like that makes me think of the guys on the cover of Sport Rider with the bikes hardly leant over and they're dragging knees.
    -Dave
    2003 SV650S track bike, 2001 CBR929RR street bike

You need longer arms
    (Yesterday at Calabogie)

Hey you've be taking pictures on sunday? If I had known I would not have bought the 40$ CD...

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    Look how twisted up his left hand is to get the shot. Don't think he'd be doing that normally.
    So I guess i am not the only one trying to get the elbow down "just" for the picture

I do agree that twisting the wrist sideways and bringing the forearm in line with the handlebar is not a very good way to guarantee good steering input... But it is a good way to make a nice photo!

So I guess i am not the only one trying to get the elbow down "just" for the picture

I do agree that twisting the wrist sideways and bringing the forearm in line with the handlebar is not a very good way to guarantee good steering input... But it is a good way to make a nice photo!
    Ever what any REALLY fast riders?

they constantly move there hands around on the grips like this.

none of them rotate their wrists straight to turn the throttle either, they will turn the throttle like a door knob instead.

[QUOTE=reciprocity;1362165]Ever what any REALLY fast riders?

none of them rotate their wrists straight to turn the throttle either, they will turn the throttle like a door knob instead. [QUOTE]

I will keep an eye for this next time I watch the races.
    I was actually looking at the DVD review of the 2008 MotoGP season yesterday and was surprised to notice how most racers (Pedrosa, Lorenzo, Rossi, ...) keep their elbows (both of them) very close to the side of the tank. My deduction was that they probably must need to transmit a lot of strength to their handlebars when they need to initiate a corner.
    Am I making this up or does it make some sense?

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Ever what any REALLY fast riders?

none of them rotate their wrists straight to turn the throttle either, they will turn the throttle like a door knob instead.
    This is so true, ive been on the track for 10+ years, and I just clued into this (cause someone followed me and told me last week!).

Now that im on a litre bike, it puts me in the best position to stand the bike up as much as i can after the apex to get on the gas harder (turning it like a door knob, or it almost feels like a golf grip)

You think this guy knows how to ride?

(stock bike, stock suspension, stock street tires, even has the centerstand still attached!)

Last edited by MotoStark; 08-03-2010 at 05:14 PM.
    GTA-M. Your best bang for the entertainment buck.
    What feels better than banking a motorcycle over into a corner?

Yikes. That's impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by doozerdave View Post
    Hanging off like that makes me think of the guys on the cover of Sport Rider with the bikes hardly leant over and they're dragging knees.
    Is the objective while you are riding the bike:
    (A) Drag knee or elbow (that photo shot), or
    (B) Go as fast as possible around the corner.

They are not necessarily the same thing. Exaggerated motions of your body on the bike can result in dragging knees or elbows in circumstances that it ordinarily wouldn't happen.

Often in racing conditions, one has to pick the knee up to NOT prematurely drag it on the ground (or hit a curb).

I don't have enough flexibility in my joints to make the fancy photo shots. Part of it is me being too olde, part of it is that I'm not built to be a gymnast and never have been. Even so, I do occasionally touch a knee down. It just happens, when riding hard enough.

In the photo of the BMW a couple posts up, the rider isn't making any particularly great effort to hang off the bike ... he's just leaned wayyyyy over. Note that rider's entire upper body is shifted off to the side. Knee isn't sticking all that far out. (There isn't room for it to stick way out; the ground is right there.)

That BMW looks like 60 degree lean from vertical. Crazy .... but impressive considering is not hanging out much.

Edit: I just noticed, stock OEM tires??? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Often in racing conditions, one has to pick the knee up to NOT prematurely drag it on the ground (or hit a curb).
    Long track turn 10.

I pick up my knee about the same time I let off the brakes, about one lap in five i'll still hit the turtle with my knee, then drop it back down onto the pavement after the turtle.

I don't like that corner, that turtle is gigantic.