Lean angles - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lean angles

Re: Lean angles

Quote Originally Posted by MotoStark View Post
    You think this guy knows how to ride?

(stock bike, stock suspension, stock street tires, even has the centerstand still attached!)
    That's an interesting pic on many levels. What else do you know about the picture, where'd you get it?
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    That's an interesting pic on many levels. What else do you know about the picture, where'd you get it?

I've had that pic on my computer for a couple of years now, and I'm still mesmerized every time I view it. All I know about this pic is that its a 2007 BMW F800S being ridden by an Italian journalist. Haven't been able to figure out who "Special" is. Maybe a bike mag?

I had to throw this pic in this thread, as most of the pics are of guys with their sport bikes, or professional racers. This bike is NOT quite a sport bike.

GTA-M. Your best bang for the entertainment buck.
    What feels better than banking a motorcycle over into a corner?

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    Long track turn 10.

I pick up my knee about the same time I let off the brakes, about one lap in five i'll still hit the turtle with my knee, then drop it back down onto the pavement after the turtle.

I don't like that corner, that turtle is gigantic.
    Maybe they should call it a tortoise :P
    Opinions are like motorcycles; we all have one, some are just better than others

This guy was leaning pretty good a Cayuga Aug 1st, dont know who he is though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4404.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss.Ferenc View Post
    This guy was leaning pretty good a Cayuga Aug 1st, dont know who he is though.
    Is it still a repost if it's in the same thread? That pic was posted earlier in this thread and many disagree with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
    He's not the only one with a personality disorder on this website. He just 'acquired' his. Others are born with theirs.

You think this guy knows how to ride?

(stock bike, stock suspension, stock street tires, even has the centerstand still attached!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Is the objective while you are riding the bike:
    (A) Drag knee or elbow (that photo shot), or
    (B) Go as fast as possible around the corner.
    (snip...)
    In the photo of the BMW a couple posts up, the rider isn't making any particularly great effort to hang off the bike ... he's just leaned wayyyyy over. Note that rider's entire upper body is shifted off to the side. Knee isn't sticking all that far out. (There isn't room for it to stick way out; the ground is right there.)
    Don't worry guys, I wasn't trying to say that moto-journalists don't know what they're doing, I just always laugh when see their exaggerated photo ops. Especially when you open the mag and see them doing "the real thing". They're probably just having fun, lucky buggers. haha...
    -Dave
    2003 SV650S track bike, 2001 CBR929RR street bike

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    Long track turn 10.

I pick up my knee about the same time I let off the brakes, about one lap in five i'll still hit the turtle with my knee, then drop it back down onto the pavement after the turtle.

I don't like that corner, that turtle is gigantic.
    The left before the hairpin? I do the same thing. Tap my knee down, lift over the turtle (sometimes brushing it) then put my knee back down after (I quite enjoy that corner actually). Sometimes drag my knee on the turtle on the previous right if I get in tight enough, and do the lift thing in Allen's too. Maybe if I see Jack in one of those corners with his camera I'll try to stick my elbow onto the turtle.
    Last edited by doozerdave; 08-03-2010 at 10:12 PM.
    -Dave
    2003 SV650S track bike, 2001 CBR929RR street bike

In body: Hamilton... In spirit, Switzerland!

Quote Originally Posted by toybm View Post
    Is it still a repost if it's in the same thread? That pic was posted earlier in this thread and many disagree with you.
    we never said it was the best body position, we just thought the bike was leaned over quite far, it being a wide R1
    "Izz dangerous..... Izz dangerous not only you... but... all deh fackeen idiot who ride deh car" - Rossi, FASTER

I've had that pic on my computer for a couple of years now, and I'm still mesmerized every time I view it. All I know about this pic is that its a 2007 BMW F800S being ridden by an Italian journalist. Haven't been able to figure out who "Special" is. Maybe a bike mag?

I had to throw this pic in this thread, as most of the pics are of guys with their sport bikes, or professional racers. This bike is NOT quite a sport bike
    Do you happen to know which track?
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    Do you happen to know which track?
    Ask these guys... www.specialmag.it It's their photo and their journalist.

GTA-M. Your best bang for the entertainment buck.
    What feels better than banking a motorcycle over into a corner?

It's probably a track with a really coarse, gritty surface almost like coarse sandpaper ... tons and tons of grip.

That BMW F800S might not officially be a sport bike, but it might as well be. I had a rental F800ST last year and found it to be a really good, flickable, narrow, light bike - perfect for riding in the Alps. Stock suspension was pretty soft, but that's a rear shock and a set of fork springs away from being solved. Didn't stop the bike from being very easy to chuck around. The S model may have different suspension settings.

Ask these guys... www.specialmag.it It's their photo and their journalist.
    Aha! Vallelunga, thanks.

This one is a great shot too, he's got sparks coming off his boot!
    http://www.motoblog.it/galleria/big/...-bmw-f-800-s/1
    There is no planet B.

Suspension setup is KEY. Having quality components, even sometimes stock suspension bits, properly set up will allow for good feedback and response from the bike. Then it's all a matter of being smooth.

Body position is important, but there are many styles. Some hang off like monkeys, some not. Some people are tall and lanky, and some shorter. From what I've seen, tall and lanky means dragging elbows, shorter persons its not common.

Me, from a trackday a few years back on my GSXR-1000. That bike had a near perfect setup. My riding position is fairly upright, and I am a shorter rider.

I've dragged the belly pan a few times. On a Fabi RACE weekend, I got black flagged, because it was thought that something was hanging off my bike in turn 1. Turns out it was the exhaust tinging across the track at the apex of the turn.