Beginner Bike General Information

Thread: Beginner Bike General Information

Exclamation Beginner Bike General Information

Afternoon all,

I am asking this question for not just the benefit of myself but for all other potential riders who want to get into the Dirt / Dual Sport / Supermoto area.

For myself, I am wanting to possibly get into the sport for just recreation. I know an acquaintance that has a course and everything, but will most likely be riding around up North at the cottage on the trails.

Some background info on myself that would be of good note for choosing a bike might be: Got my M2 over a year ago, 6'4" and 230lbs. What cc should I get for myself that would be good for learning on, but still have a good amount of kick and upper range that I would want to keep it for a while.

I would probably buy a used dirt bike but will have other questions below for people (as maybe this will become a sticky for the sub-forum).

Please note: I do know some of these questions like the green plate, etc just putting for others to learn from in one thread.

For looking into dirt bikes what should someone know:
    - Should I buy new vs used?
    - What is the real difference between buying a 2 stroke vs 4 stroke?
    - Where to learn in the GTA?
    - Trails, track information for the area
    - Green plates, what privileges do you get with them?
    - Size of bike for my size?
    - Basic safety equipment suggested to buy?
    - General maintenance: Could it be done by someone with little knowledge?

If you can please answer these questions as thoroughly as you can that would be appreciated.
    Cheers 'n Beers,
    Haz

Pilot, Photographer, Volleyball player and now Rider...
    Current Ride: '09 Suzuki SV650SA ABS
    Free Sempire!!!!

Re: Beginner Bike General Information

Used, new dirt bikes are pretty damn pricey for MX models anyways. shop CL and wait for the deal...september is a good time to buy or even in the winter.

2 stroke is high reving with a power band that will toss you off the back, 4 strokes have a more linear power band...some prefer 4's for trail riding because of the low end power but for me i love my 2 strokes and a gearing change for what you will be riding for the day will make the difference. some people think 2 strokes are loud but the sound doesnt travel nearly as far as a four stroke.

they both will require maintenance, 4 can be more reliable just have to check valves and all that stuff where as 2 stroke your basically getting the right fuel mix, changing oil ever 2-3 rides, and rebuilding the top end every 6 months or so depending on how much you ride...a ring cracks and its a matter of seconds before your top end is garbage.

there are a bunch of hidden gems around the halton area...there are also some tracks around if that interests you at all.

http://www.ontariotrails.on.ca/trail.../motorcycling/
    http://www.trailsource.com/scripts/t...ario&TYPE=DIRT

i am pretty sure these plates are so you can ride the organization trails like the Ganaraska Forest, they dont cost a lot and you will need insurance about 200 for the year.

I would suggest either a 2 stroke 250, or a 250/450 4 stroke MX bike...with the MX bike you will get a bike that has tons of clearance and will fit you well, as well it has the suspension to do everything...a trail bike will make you angry when it bucks you off because of a little rock.... lol. typical mx dirtbike from 98-04 goes for around 1700 - 3000.

helmet
    chest protector
    gloves
    knees/shin guards

boots (a work boot that covers the ankle will suffice until you start jumping or getting into more gnarly terrain then a pair of MX boots is strongly recommended.

a couple of good online stores for gear and aftermarket parts.
    http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/index.php
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

oil change every couple rides
    clean your ride when you get dirty...clean the air filter to keep it from gumming up.
    lube the chain after you clean your bike, they take a beating.

rebuilding top end on a 2 stroke is easy work and will take a couple hours at most.

checking valve clearances for 4 strokes is a must and they will need to be adjusted.

Depends. 4 stroke mx motors require high levels of service and if neglected will need a lot of money spent on them. Trail bikes like XR, DRZ and TTR bikes are 4 stroke and low maitenance also fairly bulletproof so a good bet used. 2 strokes are rarely sold new (Only offered by KTM and Husqvarna I believe) so your pretty much stuck with used but it wouldn't matter anyways, rebuilds are cheap and easy.

Not a apples to apples comparision. 2 stroke will generally have a narrow power band (more cc's= larger range though) and different 4 strokes will have different characteristics. They can be rev happy or grunt type motors, depends on the bike. Big difference is in race bikes the lack of maitenance won't be so bad with a 2 stroke.

Trail tours

Check with Ontario Federation of Trail Riders. Ganaraska forest would be the big one.

Access to trail systems. Also the bike would require insurance for the green plate to be valid. Nice part of that is if you did get caught on a trail or area that wasn't open to off-road riding you wouldn't get a $5000 no insurance ticket.

Wide range of bikes and sizes of people and skill level. Pretty much anyone would be able to use a DRZ400, XR400, KDX200/220 and 250cc mx based bikes. 250 2 strokes and 450 4 strokes might be over whelming to newer riders. Heaver bikes like XR650's and DR650's will most likely be to heavy for a new rider to enjoy themselves.

Helmet, Body armour (661, EVS, Alpinstar etc.), Boots, Gloves and a leatt brace wouldn't be a bad idea. Riding in the dirt you WILL go down and anything you skip on leaves a lot of area to be seriously injured. Have a 250 pound dirt bike jam a peg into your calf/ankle and you will wish you had Off-Road boots on. Same can be said for any other part of the gear listed. Wear it all.

If your going to ride dirt bikes or any variation of them you need to learn how to turn a wrench. 2 strokes you should be able to rebuild the top end and 4 strokes at minimum check the valves. To be able to do a full rebuild on a 4 stroke would be overkill but you should be able to do most other things.

Great write up. This are very useful info for people who wants to get into dirt biking/off road. Do you need a motorcycle license to ride dirt ?

Quote Originally Posted by drin05 View Post
    Do you need a motorcycle license to ride dirt ?
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by pilothaz View Post
    Some background info on myself that would be of good note for choosing a bike might be: Got my M2 over a year ago, 6'4" and 230lbs. What cc should I get for myself that would be good for learning on, but still have a good amount of kick and upper range that I would want to keep it for a while. [/I]
    It all depends on what you want to do with it.

For a woods bike I'd go lightweight. Something with lighting in case you get caught out later than expected. 250cc+ for 4 stroke and 125cc+ for 2 stroke. Try to stay away from MX based bikes as there are a lot of purpose-built bikes out there for woods riding that there is no need to deal with making a bike do what it isn't meant for.

For Dual Sport there is a wide range. You would have to know what percentage of dirt/street you want to ride as well as if you want something highway capable.

Personal choice. You could ask the same question for any purchase. I prefer new so that I can start with a clean slate and set the bike up how I want. But there are benefits to used also. You could find yourself a well maintained machine that has a bunch of mods/accessories that you were planning on getting anyway. That could save you a ton of $$$.

There are also downsides to buying used and you really have be careful of what you are buying.

Too much to really get into here. The line is starting to get blurred between the 2 as there are some pretty high strung 4 strokes out there that will have higher maintenance costs than a 2 stroke now. You can also get some pretty torquey 2 strokes now.

But I feel that a small displacement 4 stroke would be best for a beginner woods rider. (crf250x, tc250, ect...)

Trailtours operates out of Ganaraska. http://www.trailtour.com/
    CMTS out of Horseshoe valley. http://www.cmts.org

I've done Trailtours and can recommend them. CMTS has a good reputation as well but I've never been there.

-Trails, track information for the area
    http://www.ontariotrails.on.ca/
    http://www.oftr.ca/

If you are green plated with Insurance you can ride any crown land that we haven't been kicked out of yet. Not allowed on ANY paved roads, dirt roads, or road allowances that are covered by the HTA. You are also not allowed to ride on the shoulder alongside them. Dirtbikes do not get the same privelages as ATVs. (Stupid, I know)

Without a green plate and insurance, you can only ride on private property or tracks that carry their own insurance.

For woods riding - 250cc+ 4 stroke or 125cc+ 2 stroke. Enduro based platform.

Must haves:

Helmet, goggles, gloves, boots, knee protection.

Should have:

You can outfit yourself head to toe for around $700. (Helmet, goggles, gloves, boots, chest protector, knee and elbow protection.) It won't be top of the line gear but you can upgrade as you can afford it.

If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, no problem. Just pick up the factory service manual for your bike and take your time.
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

I've checked most of these links and found a lot of trail info, but almost no track info.

Am I not looking hard enough?

Quote Originally Posted by 1WheelDrive View Post
    I've checked most of these links and found a lot of trail info, but almost no track info.

Am I not looking hard enough?
    This should get you started:

http://www.gopherdunes.com
    http://www.motoparkracing.com
    http://www.ocmc-racing.ca
    http://www.burntriveroffroad.com
    http://www.fourwindsmxpark.com
    http://www.eaglesnestmx.com
    http://www.rjmotosport.com
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

It takes more skill to ride a 2 stroke thus a smoker will fatigue you more
    esp a mx smoker.

2 strokes rule

Any recommendations on helmets that won't break the bank but still do the job?
    "Bro... it's an exotic..."

SOAR Novice #37

I was wearing a G Max x46 (I think that is the model number) and took a bike in the back of the head when I low sided a slick turn.
    I got up and walked away once my vision sort of came back.
    It's a cheaper helmet but I will always trust them after that and they fit me the best. Fit is one of the most important things to look at when buying a helmet.
    This week I'm buying a new helmet to match my new bike and will possibly try a new brand, but I have no problems using the same one again.

Oh, and I have proof, my username on youtube is cfmedic329 and the helmet cam video is in there.

Gotta catch the bus, I'm outta this F@*#&%g place!

For looking into dirt bikes what should someone know:

Definitely buy used. You can get 2-4 good used bikes for the price of a new one. A lot of times the used bikes already have expensive upgrades on them that you get as a freebee and you wont feel so bad about dumping the bike.

2 Stroke- Peppy, light (feeling), easier to toss around and very explosive/short powerband. All-in-all more fun

4 Stroke- Much torquier, longer powerband, more forgiving, easier to tractor around on, less freqeunt rebuild needed.

In terms of maintenance, the 4 stroke may need a rebuild less often but you don't want to see the bill when it finally does. You can rebuild a 2 stroke (new piston, crank, bearings and seals) for under 400, and just a new piston + rings can be for $150.

GTA not much but extend that by another 50km and there are quite a few options. Other than that there's private property.

Riding on crown land (need insurance)

Since this is for beginners I would say 125 2T or 250 4T. I don't know how some people can recommend a 250 two stroke as a first bike for a beginner, and a 450 would scare a new rider and shake their confidence

Helmet, goggles, gloves, boots are essentials. A cheap upgrade would be to get knee/elbow pads as well. Royal distributing has some good deals.

2 strokes are a great bike to learn to work on. Very simple engine and really quick to tear down/ rebuild. Definitely the easiest platform to start to learn wrenching on.

4 strokes are a bit more complicated- valves, cams, etc. Requires some more knowledge and a greater comfort level to work on.
    Last edited by Spizzak; 08-20-2010 at 01:50 PM.
    *~.Dan.~*
    EX500 Streetfighter