Forks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forks

Question Forks

Anyone rode the forks lately? Haven't been since last year and that's when they were still in the middle of all the re-paving. Heard there's been issues with residents throwing gravel into the curves to deter bikes.

Re: Forks

No problem, aside from the whole area being a magnet for cops. Be reasonable and you will be fine.

Go up there couple times a week or more - no issues I've seen. Just the west bound exit from the hairpin tends to stay wet with some seepage....just when you want to nail the throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by diggz View Post
    Anyone rode the forks lately? Haven't been since last year and that's when they were still in the middle of all the re-paving. Heard there's been issues with residents throwing gravel into the curves to deter bikes.
    Was there last Friday, after the big rain Thurs nite / Fri early am, and yes there is gravel right across both lanes (whole road) just east of the hairpin corner (at the bottom of the hill).

This was not put there by anyone...this is the result of the large amount of rain running in the shallow, uphill side, ditch which dragged out some of the shoulder gravel across the road.
    There was some other debris west of the hairpin,(grass and twigs), but no biggie.

Don't know the status of the gravel and debris today.
    Flying is easy...just hurl yourself at the ground and ...miss

Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
    Go up there couple times a week or more - no issues I've seen. Just the west bound exit from the hairpin tends to stay wet with some seepage....just when you want to nail the throttle.
    Yep....this is like that all the time but, I find the portion of the lane closest to the center to be dry so I plan for it and it helps me move thru there better.

awesome. Good to know, thanks for the info guys.

I was there yesterday and there were some signs saying that the road will be closed the end of July....perhaps someone that lives in the area can let us know the scoop

Gravel just after the hair pin going east.

Road Closure and Detour Route: Forks of the Credit Road
    Starting mid-July 2010, the Region of Peel will begin stabilization of road and embankment works on Forks of the Credit Road in Caledon. Work is expected to continue to November 2010. Traffic will be restricted to local access only.
    The proposed works will require full road closure at the following two locations:

• July August: from McLaren Road to east of Chisholm Street
    • September November: from west of Dominion Street to east of Mississauga Road

Driveway access for residents will be available at all times during the construction period.
    During construction, suggested detour routes are along Highway 10 from the east and Regional Road 19 (Winston Churchill Boulevard) from the west to Regional Road 24 (Charleston Sideroad), north route. The south route will direct traffic along Highway 10 from the east and Winston Churchill Boulevard from the west to Regional Road 12 (Olde Base Line Road).

I hope the construction equipment isn't too noisy or the locals will get p***ed off.
    "You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime." (Burt Munro)

Road is still open, and the gravel washout at the bottom of the hill has been swept up. Next to no traffic and no cops (today during the daytime ...)

Quote Originally Posted by diggz View Post
    Heard there's been issues with residents throwing gravel into the curves to deter bikes.

That's scary. Seriously. WTF.

Forks are now closed until November to all through traffic. Local know... Seriously, I'm glad I got out there for one last blast tonight. If I hadn't stopped at the Shed I'd have not known how long the Forks will be closed!
    Life is best lived at Wide Open Throttle. Twist the right wrist and watch it all go by.

Just did the Forks both ways...no closure noticed.
    Maybe it's closed durin the week only?

Went through there this afternoon on my way home. The sign says closed from Late July, here it is August 3rd and they have yet to start construction. However, there were surveyors working on the hill between the trestle and the hair-pin, so I would guess the construction will start soon. I will try again tomorrow afternoon.

Malks
    1997 ST1100

watch out for cops. forks is no fun anymore.
    David L.
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848
    1995 Honda CBR900RR (SOLD)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R600 (SOLD)
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R (SOLD)

Just went to the forks today and it was open, some roads were closed with gravel though.

I went on August 2 and there were cops at certain intersections letting only local traffic through (this is coming from a south direction). I just went around them on gravel roads parallel to the roads that were being monitored. The gravel roads were fun even though dusty.

^ That was because of a bicycle race - a one day event.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    ^ That was because of a bicycle race - a one day event.
    Ah! Did not see a lot of bikes!