M1 exit test + Kawi ZZR 250 + impossible? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M1 exit test + Kawi ZZR 250 + impossible?

Re: M1 exit test + Kawi ZZR 250 + impossible?

Impossible?? Take more time and practise. I did the serpitine on an 1000gsxr certainly you should be able to do it on a zzr 250

Hey dude,

This is what my safety instructor use to say:

1) Hold a million dollars in between your legs and don't let go... NO matter what you legs remain close against the gas tank... hot or cold that is your life and will give you balance..

2) Look into your future, don't bother looking at the cone in front of your wheel, look ahead. the moment you put your head down your balance will be garbage and you will go over the "cone/can (or whatever you use for reference)"

3) Drag the back break, it sucks doing it I know but heck you wont stall. simply go on first gear, with your back break gently drag and the throttle hold a steady rev, not too much to over rev your bike, but just enough to avoid stalling.

4) Practice, practice, practice! do 8, full circles, tight U

5) Learn your hand signals and the correct lane position of your bike when doing left and right turns.

Good luck!
    Here is where I put my signature!!

2012 Candy Green Kawasaki 250cc
    2000 Black Honda Rebel 250cc - Sold

Exclamation Re: M1 exit test + Kawi ZZR 250 + impossible?

Quote Originally Posted by stormin84 View Post
    why wouldn't you have taken the safety course....
    +1

I took the gearing up course, although it was a little pricey, they basically give you the test, if you listen and do what they say, you develop some really good habits, and you won't become pizza some day.

I suggest strongly that you look into doing the course if you think you need to look down at the cones to see them though... who knows what else you're doing wrong... (no offense, just don't want you to wipe out.)
    1999 500R Firecracker Red
    Mods: 650R Mirrors, HVMP bar ends, Zero Gravity Smoked WindScreen

Quote Originally Posted by JackBoss View Post
    Ok, my m1 exit test is in 5 days and i've been practicing for like 3 days in a parking lot doing the figure 8 thingy and its like impossible with my zzr 250... so if anyone have a 125cc+ scooter that I can borrow for an hour, let me know, I can give you 20$ for an hour.
    Wait a minute, aren't you the kid who said you can learn everything about motorcycling from the internet?

It's not impossible to pass the M1 exit. My old ZZR 250 was very easy to handle. Not that I've taken the M1 exit with the MTO, but I did however take my M2 exit with them. Honestly, if you are having problems with figure 8's using the cones, you might want to think about taking the course....
    Last edited by Mystique; 07-29-2010 at 07:07 PM.
    Mystique
    It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives.

I did the MTO M1 Exit test on tuesday and passed with a Ninja 500R (again bigger than your bike)

definitely not impossible.

The biggest thing is just relaxing and knowing you can do it. Soon as you get tense/frustrated it all goes out the window.

This is why you take a Motorcycle Safety Course.

P.S If people can pass on SS bikes and cruisers, you can do it on a zzr 250.
    Last edited by Sushii; 07-29-2010 at 10:11 PM.

Alright thanks everyone, my m1 road test is today so ill let you guys if I pass or no.

You're not alone buddy - everybody was nervous about u-turns and figure-8s at some point. I was riding for a year and was still not great at slow speed stuff, until recently when I started to specifically practice these things.

The single biggest improvement in my slow speed handling came from leaning the bike using the handlebars, while leaning my body in the opposite direction. This is something that is easy to consciously do, and it makes the bike feel stable in the turn, which then gives you the confidence to pick up the speed and look where you want to go etc.

The steps:

* start the turn by slipping the clutch and feathering the rear brake. Don't go super-slow. It is actually easier to go a bit faster and just lean the bike more. This will make the maneuver much smoother.

* keep you head upright and look at where you're going - at first your head will be turned 90 degrees, looking directly over your shoulder. I actually do look at the pavement, i.e. I trace with my eyes the line I want my front wheel to take. That gives me slightly better precision, but based on the other comments here I guess it doesn't work for everybody.

* lean the bike with authority using the handlebars while at the same time lean your body the other way. Basically you are leaning the bike, but keeping your body upright.

* Lastly, if you feel like you're falling into the corner just release the clutch a bit to give more power. If you don't, at least be prepared to bail out and let the bike fall so that it doesn't fall on your leg.

Hope that helps! After a week of doing this I can now do the u-turns and even look in the opposite direction, to see if there are any hot babes around admiring my awesome skillz

Good luck on the test!

ok I passed woohoo! , it was really easy too.

Congrats!

Congrats on passing!
    What I do not understand - how can you afford the bike, insurance, all the LV stuff on your website but can't afford a safety course (which will give you priceless skills and knoweldge)? Not to mention - small break on insurance.

lol I wish I have $400 for the safety course, I am just a student and never had a job aha. The reason I want a scooter is because I have 2 years experience with ebikes (scooter style) even on a heavy snow day so I know how to handle them.

You can't afford not to take the course. I took it and my insurance dropped 320.00 as soon as I had the piece of paper stating I passed. That almost pays for the course itself. Now multiply that by every year and you are ahead within your second season of riding. Not to mention all the valuable information you learn.

ok I passed woohoo! , it was really easy too.
    LOL, whats up man. It was the guy that did err thing right*

Alejandro's on the road now man, fear for your life.
    Vivere est vincere

congrats!! now you can ride at night!
    David L.
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848
    1995 Honda CBR900RR (SOLD)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R600 (SOLD)
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Kokla View Post
    LOL, whats up man. It was the guy that did err thing right*

Alejandro's on the road now man, fear for your life.
    No way, that was you with the honda sabre and your dad during the m1 exit??

No way, that was you with the honda sabre and your dad during the m1 exit??
    LOL, that rights.

Either that, or I just stalk you.
    Vivere est vincere

Quote Originally Posted by Kokla View Post
    LOL, that rights.

Either that, or I just stalk you.
    lol Nice, small world aha
    Last edited by JackBoss; 08-01-2010 at 03:17 AM.