Racism is ok if your target is white. - Page 2

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Racism is ok if your target is white.

Wink Re: Racism is ok if your target is white.

Quote Originally Posted by topendz View Post
    I think a lot of people are missing the point. The bottom line here non-whites are discriminated against all the time in corporate North America whether is be subtle or not and god help you if you aren't white and are female also. Putting more miniorities in the work force is necessary to try and even out the playing field and will help empower other minorities. I see nothing wrong with what they are doing. Let's face it if you are beautiful and blond you get better chances in life whether you have earned them or not, fact of life.

your bang on simon..

BUT what should have happened , and SIMPLY enough done, is the online form should have accepted the resume. then put it in the "recycle bin"

no body would have been the wiser, white chick is happy she was not rejected.

government looks like they accepted it, but hired someone else..

reality is if she handed in a resume in person this is what would have happened,

"thanks for your resume" we may call after reviewing all the canidates. (with no intention to call)

this hole thing just stinks of poor optics & bad web design and a summer student co-op web designer, and nothing more.
    Knowledge Without Mileage is Useless

*worry about your own spelling not mine.

Re: Racism is ok if your target is white.

Quote Originally Posted by SiNNeR View Post
    your bang on simon..

BUT what should have happened , and SIMPLY enough done, is the online form should have accepted the resume. then put it in the "recycle bin"

no body would have been the wiser, white chick is happy she was not rejected.

government looks like they accepted it, but hired someone else..

reality is if she handed in a resume in person this is what would have happened,

"thanks for your resume" we may call after reviewing all the canidates. (with no intention to call)

this hole thing just stinks of poor optics & bad web design and a summer student co-op web designer, and nothing more.

AGREED that would have been a more diplomatic approach

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    So it's not ok to discriminate against non-whites, but since that happens it is ok to discriminate against whites.

Gotcha.
    I'm descriminated against all the time and I'm a tall, thin, white and British. People assume I'm rich, smart and successful when in truth I'm dumb and broke

AGREED that would have been a more diplomatic approach

BTW your wife is smoken hot, i'M sure there no issue there!

lucky bastard
    Knowledge Without Mileage is Useless

*worry about your own spelling not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    So it's not ok to discriminate against non-whites, but since that happens it is ok to discriminate against whites.

Gotcha.
    No you didn't get it. What he was trying to say is that corporate world in Canada loves certain profile when going through hiring process. Most of the time it is not about your skills, but rather other things, like skin color and the famous Canadian experience. Like it matters whether I have had a job in Canada before, instead of whether I can do the job.

If the unequal playing field was not created in the first place, we wouldn't have the argument now. It was not the minorities who started this one ....

How else do you propose to fix it? Besides having educated people serving you a coffee in Timmies or doing cleaning jobs?

I think a lot of people are missing the point. The bottom line here non-whites are discriminated against all the time in corporate North America whether is be subtle or not and god help you if you aren't white and are female also. Putting more miniorities in the work force is necessary to try and even out the playing field and will help empower other minorities. I see nothing wrong with what they are doing. Let's face it if you are beautiful and blond you get better chances in life whether you have earned them or not, fact of life.
    Bang on.
    I find it amusing that when white people are on the other side of the issue it suddenly becomes offending. But when a minority complains of discrimination it's usually played off as they are a bunch of whiners.
    White women gets denied and it's all over the news. Well welcome to the other side get used to it most minorities experience this pretty regularly.

people assume that the playing field has been equalized. i don't think so. hundreds of years of preference for the dominant culture doesn't flip over in a few years. we may have legal equality but reality is different. same goes for women. we all know that women are legally equal to men, but the real world shows us time and again that it's not quite there yet, is it?

also, to those suggesting that whites are the minority in canada--what stats do you have to support that claim? i have yet to see any stats that come close to supporting that hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    Besides having educated people serving you a coffee in Timmies or doing cleaning jobs?
    Yes its skin colour that has educated people working at Tim's? Out of all the other factors that is what you come up with? I've had to work crappy part time jobs as I waited for a job oppertunity to come up after college. Jobs don't just fall out of the sky. Many companies hire minorities as the first choice. I look around my office and see a pretty good balance. My dept is a little male heavy of mixed races but our publicity department is all women of mixed races. I actually had a co-worker complain to a boss about pay in-equity by the company and she used me as an example of how white men made more. I have many years more experience and have been working with the company for 4 years at the time she was hired. Nothing ever came of it because we are unionized and there is a pretty rigid scale for wage increases etc. I just think it is funny that in this day and age it got the amount of attention it did by our bosses. Some people have a chip on their shoulder and its not because of skin colour they don't get hired it is because of attitude and that is for all races.

Quote Originally Posted by komodo View Post
    White women gets denied and it's all over the news. Well welcome to the other side get used to it most minorities experience this pretty regularly.
    I didn't realize there was online government job applications that rejected you if you were a minority?

That is the part of this I have the most issue with. If your going to have a preference keep it behind closed doors. It wasn't because the lady was white that this is news it was because of the blantant way a government job application was rejected by race. The government isn't suppose to descriminate based on race they are supposed to be above that equal to all citizens.

No you didn't get it. What he was trying to say is that corporate world in Canada loves certain profile when going through hiring process. Most of the time it is not about your skills, but rather other things, like skin color and the famous Canadian experience. Like it matters whether I have had a job in Canada before, instead of whether I can do the job.

If the unequal playing field was not created in the first place, we wouldn't have the argument now. It was not the minorities who started this one ....

How else do you propose to fix it? Besides having educated people serving you a coffee in Timmies or doing cleaning jobs?
    As someone who has vetted an awful lot of resumes, in his career, I have to say that VERIFIABLE experience is how I would determine if you could do the job. If I can't verify what you've done before, it's worth nothing on your resume. Should I take a chance on you, or on someone else I can be sure can do the job?

On the other hand, I have taken a chance on people who had no verifiable experience, for junior positions, and made sure that they moved up quickly when they proved themselves. Back when I headed the service department for a mid-sized computer manufacturer, two of my best assistants came up this way.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

You have to start off at the bottom of the ladder even if you're a whitey. Take myself for example young white guy freshly moved to Canada i started off stocking shelves at Shoppers Drug Mart before i could find a decent job.......took three weeks before i moved up one rung of the ladder.

You should be able to get the leather chair job based on your work performance and knowledge, not based on the colout of your skin.

After all, we are all pink inside.

How else do you propose to fix it?
    Several years ago I got sent on 'sensitivity training'. It wasn't what I thought it would be at all. The instructor (a black dude), basically said that afirmative action didn't work. He said that simply having a policy that you must have X number of minority employees, generally opens a revolving door of hiring/firing based on race - but then the bosses can pat themselves on the back for having 10% black workers, or whatever - without anyone questioning why a white worker averages 10 yrs with the company, but a black worker only averages a few weeks. So instead of saying you don't get hired unless you are a minority, what you need to do is create a working culture that is welcoming and supportive of minorities. Much harder to do, and very hard to measure, but doing things that way removes the resentment that was mentioned by another poster, when someone has a job because of their race, and also allows you to have a workforce that is BOTH racially diverse AND qualified for their jobs.

Also, I'm getting sick of this "white people did it first" attitude. Yes, the guys in charge are white males. They are the decendants of rich, powerful people (whether by blood, or by legacy). I am also a white male, but my ancestors were peasants, and were treated nearly as badly by the rich powerful folks as were the brown/black/yellow people in thier colonies. However because I LOOK like the guys in power, I am supposed to share their guilt. Sorry, but I don't buy it, and I think it is equivalent to saying someone who is black MUST be a good dancer/a criminal/eats watermellon.

Quote Originally Posted by komodo View Post
    Bang on.
    I find it amusing that when white people are on the other side of the issue it suddenly becomes offending. But when a minority complains of discrimination it's usually played off as they are a bunch of whiners.
    White people on the other side of the issue?

The whites that might have discriminated in the past are not the same whites looking for jobs and being discriminated against now.

I don't think anyone here is saying that there needs to be a quota of X number of white people. We are saying that the hiring process should be a open and transparent one that does not take colour, sex, religion, etc, into consideration.

Everyday I hear this argument that immigrant's skills aren't properly utilized - and I agree entirely - I know some engineers from India who stack boxes or work as security guards for a living.

However, they aren't the only ones. I know a lot of people (white or otherwise) with Canadian University degrees who can't find satisfying work here. I, myself, am white and have a MSc from Waterloo but am driving truck for a living.

Do you really think that if the government only hired 'brown' people from now on in order to right the wrongs of the past that everything would be solved? If you keep that pendulum swinging we are going to keep seeing this crap over and over again.

Apparently some people have never stepped outside.

If you've worked/lived/gone to school anywhere multicultural, you'll realize that having racial slurs called against you for being white is not seen as anywhere close to racism. It seems that somewhere down the line, people thought it was fine to call a white person a cracker/red neck/hill billy/whatever other racial profile or slurs there are.

My source? Everyday life. If you think that calling a black guy a n***** and calling a white guy a cracker is of equal value, think again. Racism is only racism when it's not against a white person, otherwise it's "acceptable" and normal.

P.S. Yes, I'm white.
    "They are spending $1.2bn on a gabfest on how to get government spending under control.
    The irony seems lost on them."
    - About the G20

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish. – Anonymous

Since I'm not getting the opportunities that I expected out of a family business, I have been applying for work, mostly in public service. That's where I've learned that it's still acceptable to discriminate against a person based on their gender and the color of their skin. Note to all "equal opportunity employers:" I had NOTHING to do with the past racial discrimination. I moved to this country in 1994! Most of the ads for jobs that I've applied to in the past indicate a preference for women, aboriginals, visible minorities and disabled people. My apologies for being a healthy white male.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    My apologies for being a healthy white male.
    How dare you?!?! You insensitive bastard!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jolomatic View Post
    How dare you?!?! You insensitive bastard!!!!
    Maybe I should start a lawsuit against my parents. How do you deliver a subpoena to Eastern Europe?
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    Maybe I should start a lawsuit against my parents. How do you deliver a subpoena to Eastern Europe?
    Now that's funny!
    I say we start a class action suit against our parents for making us white, and therefore unemployable.
    Why, Mom, why couldn't you have found me a black daddy?

R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

• Mandate that all boards and citizen committees funded by the city have diverse representation
    Uhmmmm hi... We don't really need you for our board and you'd just be a waste of space, but we need to show that we're ethnically diverse. Would you mind taking a productive member's spot, sitting in at the occasional meeting and looking pretty?
    I'd be offended by that even if I did belong to a visible minority group.