16 Looking for Bike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16 Looking for Bike

16 Looking for Bike

I am going to start off by saying I am 16 years old I have been driving a car for 3 months I am 6'5" 180 pounds. I am not looking for a zip zip street bike to do wheelies i just wanna cruise with my friends some have street bikes but when i get on it i just cant see me driving it for longer than 20 minutes.

I went to local places sat on bikes and narrowed it down to the price range for payments and the comfort of the bike and so far i want a Honda Shadow 750 or something like that its a good size not to heavy i have driven my bros honda shadow 500 and that is way to small.

Basically i just wanna know what you guys think mainly safety wise and financially im not gonna go fast like i said im a cruiser and people that show off piss me off because eventually those people will probably be in the hospital. But financailly wise should i pay payments on a brand new bike or look for a used one and save up or pay payments on a cheaper used one.

Re: 16 Looking for Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
    I am going to start off by saying I am 16 years old I have been driving a car for 3 months I am 6'5" 180 pounds. I am not looking for a zip zip street bike to do wheelies i just wanna cruise with my friends some have street bikes but when i get on it i just cant see me driving it for longer than 20 minutes.

I went to local places sat on bikes and narrowed it down to the price range for payments and the comfort of the bike and so far i want a Honda Shadow 750 or something like that its a good size not to heavy i have driven my bros honda shadow 500 and that is way to small.

Basically i just wanna know what you guys think mainly safety wise and financially im not gonna go fast like i said im a cruiser and people that show off piss me off because eventually those people will probably be in the hospital. But financailly wise should i pay payments on a brand new bike or look for a used one and save up or pay payments on a cheaper used one.
    Financially are you capable of paying for the insurance?

250 ninja

Best to get m1 asap take course upgrade to m2 hold it until next year and get jevco experience class which will be like 40% drop.

For a 750cc first year 16years of age I really think finding $3000 for basic coverage will be a lucky find.
    If you really want to ride this year probably 250 ninja or even 500 ninja/gs500 would be your best bet. Insurance is a bit cheaper on those.

But call around for some insurance to make sure.
    Too many guys come to this forum asking for cheap insurance after buying a SS bike.

Nice to see a young guy trying to plan ahead and figure out the overall cost.

Cheers

be prepared to spend (or have your parents spend) like $300+ per month on insurance alone.

I am in Florida no Insurance for bikes and every street bike i sit on i can not stand the feel of it the handle bars feel way to uncomfortable and on small ones my knees are extremely high and when i drove my friends suzuki gsxr 750 after driving for just 5 minutes my back hurt like hell but whenever i get on a Cruiser it just feels natural and my back feels good and everything. I dont see any reason in buying a street bike thats gonna hurt like a ***** just so people will think im cool or a bad ***.

All i wanna do is cruise. I have my mom to co-sign, i have a job where i could pay the monthly payments every week, and in Florida you need no Insurance if you think the bike i want is to big and powerful then throw some other bikes at me that are cruisers. Ninja, GSXR any of those kind of "street bike" styles i do not want and will not get. Im open to a starter cruiser if you know of good ones.

Take a look at the suzuki S40 650 single cruiser...

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

Call around on insurance BEFORE buying or even looking for that matter. Odds are at 16 insurance is gonna stop you real quick.

Try Ninja 250 or even try a supermoto such as DRZ-400SM
    2004 SV650S For Sale

That S40 650 cruiser seems like the one and i could save up for a bit and wait for a nice looking one that is used and not have to worry about all those payments. I really like the look of it to plus 40 hp should be good for me to get used to bike for 2 or 3 years and ill save up and in the long run buy a nicer one later on.

I am still open for ideas but i am glad i got atleast one good one and really fast to. Thanks

I'd actually like an S40 or Savage as it used to be called for just plodding around town on. Nice and simple too no need to spend a fortune for someone else to maintain it. Plus they have been around for over 20 years.

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

ya i was looking at the Suzuki L650S Savage nice and cheap and ya where i live it can get boring fast especially since "The World's Whitest Beach" where i live is now brown with oil.

How about Yamaha VStars? They're cruisers and look pretty nice.

Kid's in Florida and says there is NO INSURANCE requirements for bikes in post #6...

I did a quick search on google in relation to the insurance, and this is what I found:http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/l...ult.asp?state=

FLState Insurance Requirements:FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY LAW-IT DOES APPLY TO MOTORCYCLES! Florida's No-Fault, or "PIP Law" does not apply to motorcycles. HOWEVER, the Financial Responsibility FR Law applies to ALL motor vehicles in Florida, including motorcycles. Thus the voluntary purchase of motor vehicle liability insurance by an owner, operator or owner/ operator is highly recommended. Failure to carry property damage and bodily injury liability insurance in case of a crash, DUI conviction or other occurrences outlined in Florida's FR Law, Ch. 324, may result in some or all of the following: Loss of license/tag and registration, and/or restitution or civil court judgment, and future proof (three years) of high risk, SR22 mandatory liability insurance coverage just to keep your driver license - even if you do not own any motor vehicles. Source: Florida Motorcycle Handbook 2006

The way I read this is you will neeed to get insurance, at the very least property damage and bodily injury as a min.

I would call around 1st just to actually verify this myself and cover your a** and not rely on hear-say, as this could get you into a lot of trouble if anything did happen

sv 650 !

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

Even if he does get insurance in Florida it is pretty cheap. Just like it is anywhere they don't have mandatory insurance.

At 6'5" there's no way a 250 Ninja would be comfortable.

The 750 Shadow is a good choice given your height, You might need a foot control relocation kit if most of your height is in your legs.

Even though it's a 750, It's only around 40HP.

The new Shadow Phantom is a pretty sweet looking bike.

The 650 V-Star is also another option, As is the M50 Suzuki.

You all are most likely older than me so i have one question involving the ladies. I am tall obviously and good lookin kid that i know i aint got no problem with the ladies but from your experience do girls like street bikes or cruisers more. Try to think of when you first got your bike and the kind of girls you got with it around my age or 20's. I am a guy and want some fine ladies on the back and if i get a bike it gonna be a cruiser so i wanna know if they still gonna like it or they mostly like the street bikes.

You all are most likely older than me so i have one question involving the ladies. I am tall obviously and good lookin kid that i know i aint got no problem with the ladies but from your experience do girls like street bikes or cruisers more. Try to think of when you first got your bike and the kind of girls you got with it around my age or 20's. I am a guy and want some fine ladies on the back and if i get a bike it gonna be a cruiser so i wanna know if they still gonna like it or they mostly like the street bikes.
    Girls like sport bikes but some females just love bikes in general so whichever is more comfortable (Cruisers...).

Suzuki M50. IMO best mid range cruiser you can buy for the money. 800cc, tons of torque, inverted forks, shaft drive, great looking, cheap on insurance and fast. It also makes for a very capable 2up bike.
    With a good rider this bike will hold its own thru the twisties with anything else on the road.

lol!! got my first bike when i was 23. so i cant realte. hyo 250r. no love from the ladies. i've had many guys ask me what kindof bike is this though when im usually standing in traffic at a red light or something. dont know if that counts.

but as far as bike choices goes. get the bike u r comfortable on. if u dont like the look of cruisers, get a sport touring.
    Last edited by silent_vik; 07-23-2010 at 11:54 AM.
    still a noob.

Need prescription eyeglasses? contact me.