Cabot Trail Route - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cabot Trail Route

Re: Cabot Trail Route

Quote Originally Posted by regder View Post
    I took the same general route when I went last year. I lost the gps log so I can't tell you exact route. I remember I got the majority of the route from a thread on here and it turned out pretty good. Mount Washington is a definite must see though.

As for the Cabot Trail itself, I found the west side to be much nicer than the east side. Mostly fresh pavement, great turns and scenery. The east side had a lot of construction but still very nice. I'd either do the west side first, or make sure you have plenty of time to spend on it. I'd personally take a pass on Meat Cove if time is tight, it's loose gravel most of the way up to it. I think it took about an hour and a half to two hours round trip, and there really isn't much to see there.

Enjoy the trip
    meat cove isn't much to see??? that was the hightlight of the trip! agreed on the west side being better and also on mount washington.

Quote Originally Posted by Melvin View Post
    Just a quick tip,If you go around the Cabot trail its better to go in a counterclockwise direction, that way you are always on the ocean side of the road.

Thats not nessecarily true! yes for the ocean veiw but if you drive the trail clockwise you always get to see the turns infront of you as you descend or drive up the mountains. While counterclock wise what you see is the rockface as you are coming down and up. my opinion I have down the trail oth ways and perfer Clockwise.And look out for Moose they are everywhere
    I second that. Actually I think they say tourist travel counter clockwise and locals (who know better) travel it clockwise.

I would also suggest going into Halifax for a night to enjoy the nightlife and taking the number 7 highway towards CB. Nicer roads and relatively deserted if you know what I mean.

Great info thanks everyone. Any suggestions for roads on the way? Most likely through New York (adirondacks), Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.

I don't know how far you plan to ride a day but have a look at this route in includes the following highlights

Lake Placid
    Burlington (via ferry)
    Bar Harbour
    Ferry to Digby (hmm.. scallops, steamed clams)
    Luneburg (Home of the Bluenose)
    Peggy's Cove (home of the NS tourist bus)
    Halifax
    Baddeck
    Cabot Trail (clockwise)
    PEI - Charlottetown
    Fredericton
    Montreal

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...67&ie=UTF8&z=8