500,000 Ontario Drivers Without Insurance On Our Roads? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 500,000 Ontario Drivers Without Insurance On Our Roads?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 500,000 Ontario Drivers Without Insurance On Our Roads?

When the police say 1 out of 8 didn't have insurance, that could also mean that they are paying for insurance but just didn't have the right up to date slip in the car with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fingolfin View Post
    Im pretty sure there is a fund or something set up for people involved in accidents with no insurance.. i can't remember the details...
    Facility insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by Fingolfin View Post
    Im pretty sure there is a fund or something set up for people involved in accidents with no insurance.. i can't remember the details...
    Your own insurance company will cover your damages if you are hit by an uninsured driver. You pay premiums for this mandatory coverage known as Uninsured Motorist Coverage.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Yup I was nabbed in 1997 with out insurance, went to court in Elmvale and duty counsil told me to get it put over as this judge is a real bi$tch, so i did but di not even go back to court the fine was $6200, finally got smart and paid it, but they never got me for the wrong plates and 3 year old sticker? oh well lesson learned. and my insurance is dam cheap for my truck and bike....and that was just a drop in the hat for my record back then!

Quote Originally Posted by Pegassus View Post
    I drove a car without insurance but in 1992 when the fine was only $500, I got caught at that time and then got caught again in 1999, this time the fine was $6,800........ $1,000 for lying to a police officer, $800 for committing fraud at the MTO office when I got my plates with a fake insurance slip, and $5,000 for not having insurance. From that time on I figured it would be cheaper just to get insurance for $3,500 a year and not having to hide from cops or not driving at all during the 2 week Christmas holiday period.

I don't know about the numbers but I've been in court when no inurance cases were being held. I've seen two cases and each time the defendant was found guilty and each time the fine was less then $1000. There are a lot of people whose cost of insurance is higher then the fine they get for being caught. Obviously short sighted thinking but understandable...

Are you kidding me? I heard on 640am radio a police chief saying that it's well-known that more than 500,000 vehicles and motorcycles are on the roads every day without insurance, he also claimed that 1 out of 8 vehicles stopped by cops for traffic violations or by random did not have insurance, I guess this is where they came up with their 500,000 estimate (12% ?)

Do you really believe this bullcrap? I don't, at max there's about 6,000 vehicles without insurance in the province, I mean who would risk a $10,000 dollar fine?
    Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty".

Quote Originally Posted by ddusseld View Post
    I don't know about the numbers but I've been in court when no inurance cases were being held. I've seen two cases and each time the defendant was found guilty and each time the fine was less then $1000. There are a lot of people whose cost of insurance is higher then the fine they get for being caught. Obviously short sighted thinking but understandable...

As part of my job, I attend court to testify against people who are being charged for no insurance (they claim to be insured with the company I work for). The minimal fine for the first offence is $5k. However, the judge has the discretion to lower the fine amount. The fine is usually set with ability to pay in consideration. $1k does seem very low. I would say 50% of the time, the fines are lowered to $3k. However, as per the police officers, most people don’t end up paying the fine anyways and drive unlicensed / uninsured again. The second offence carries a minimal fine of $10k with possible jail time.

The first conviction is just part of the battle. They know these people will become repeat offenders. Once they have a registered a conviction, they are checked thoroughly for proper insurance every time they get pulled over. It’s with the second and third convictions that it gets interesting. The judge can now hand out jail time. Sometimes they will actually get sent to get booked right after the conviction.

On a side note, it’s very funny how stupid some of these people who drive without insurance are. Sometimes after convictions and telling the judge that they don’t own a vehicle / drive anymore, they will leave the court room and get into the very vehicle that was not insured and drive off. When the officer sees this, they run a Driver’s license search and if the vehicle is still in their name, charge them with perjury. Then there are cases when one get’s pulled over for driving without insurance. The officer has they vehicle towed to their home. After the officer leaves (officer drives around the corner and waits for a while), the individual comes out of the home and drives away only to be pulled over and charged for the same offence a second time.

Driving without insurance is indeed a very large issue today. Go into any provincial court and you will see that about 30-40% of the people charged have the no insurance charge to go with their other offences.

In order to fight the battle against uninsured vehicles, the MTO in conjunction with the insurance companies in Ontario (via IBC) will be implementing a Uninsured Vehicles Project. I’m not sure of the date this will be in effect.

http://www.ibc.ca/en/Car_Insurance/ON/Uninsured_Vehicles.asp

This will make it harder to plate a vehicle with invalid insurance as they will be referencing all policy #’s given to them with the insurance company to ensure that the policy is valid and it is for the vehicle being plated before stickers are issued. This will likely create more work if you are trying to plate a newly acquired vehicle. I won’t get into the detail as they are not finalized.

You also have to consider that this probably includes people stopped who cannot produce their insurance slip but who are insured and have always been. It's not uncommon for people to misplace their slip or be so flustered they can't find it at the time. No excuse but I would put money on they count these people as uninsured which is as usual misleading from the press and police.

Normally these offenses are dropped once you produce the slip in court.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=65033

Many of the arguments here have yet to take into consideration the actual dollar value of claims in this province. Which is significantly higher than others...
    "Bro... it's an exotic..."

SOAR Novice #37

Quote Originally Posted by ddusseld View Post
    It's not the fine that you should be worried about if you are driving/riding without insurance. A measly $10K fine is nothing compared to the liability you are exposing yourself to.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Are you kidding me? I heard on 640am radio a police chief saying that it's well-known that more than 500,000 vehicles and motorcycles are on the roads every day without insurance, he also claimed that 1 out of 8 vehicles stopped by cops for traffic violations or by random did not have insurance, I guess this is where they came up with their 500,000 estimate (12% ?)

Do you really believe this bullcrap? I don't, at max there's about 6,000 vehicles without insurance in the province, I mean who would risk a $10,000 dollar fine?
    where do you come of this stuff? do you just make it up?

in 2005 there was something like 7 million cars in Ontario.... its probably way higher now....
    i can easily believe 500 000 people without insurance on the road...

Banned

They come up with these bogus statistic so that they can validate pulling over any cars on the road that didnt break any highway traffic law.

Either you are retarded or you just cannot accept reality. I personally know 4 people who are driving/riding without insurance. And thats just me alone. and I'm not a very "know everyone on the planet" kinda guy either. So.. considering the population of Ontario, I'm pretty sure people can start adding numbers on who they know, etc, and figure out how many of them are without insurance.