Question for those who camp - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question for those who camp

Re: Question for those who camp

Quote Originally Posted by inreb View Post
    Aren't they all free standing? Maybe I don't understand the terminology. Anyway, I picked up the MEC Wanderer2 this spring for a bit over$200. So far so good. Comes in two versions. One is all screen for the hot weather, that's the one I got. Lucky move.
    Nope. The bivy tents need to be staked. A freestanding you can put it up with the minimum of two long poles that clip or slide through provided slots, kinda, and the poles need to cross each other to be self-supportive.

The solo bivy tents will be two separate hoops,one in front one in back that do not cross each other so must be staked. Not always possible to do I would think on very hard or rocky surface.

With the number 2 in the description, sounds like a 2 person tent.
    2002 Hayabusa
    2012 Hayabusa
    2015 Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
    This is my first year of camping by myself and I am kinda using trial and error with my gear. I bought an Ozark Trail 2 person tent at Wal-mart, goes up easy but a bit bigger than I want to carry.

<snip>

I wanted a free standing tent, I want to be able to move it around if I want. Hard to find here in Canada though for less than 300.00, unfortunately.
    i have one of these. it's a bit large but it packs down nice http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en It has 4 pegs for the 4 corners of the tent how ever you can weight it down if you can't peg it. It says 3 person but they better be comfy with each other.

I found mec to be a little extreme on their prices
    x

Banned

My buddy bought the Hubba. Smaller, but perfect for him (and he's a big guy) and a paddling pack.

I had never heard the term bivvy used with a tent. I thought bivvy's were these:
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1280141116819

Which are pretty amazing pieces of gear as well.

I have never been limited by where i can sleep with the HH. There are always trees to use....

Thus far.....

There are several large parks in the US where they say no attaching anything to trees, but they seem to not mind hammocks.

You can take my HH with you some time if you wanna try it. Open offer.

What places have you tried camping thus far?

Aren't they all free standing? Maybe I don't understand the terminology. Anyway, I picked up the MEC Wanderer2 this spring for a bit over$200. So far so good. Comes in two versions. One is all screen for the hot weather, that's the one I got. Lucky move.
    +1 for the Wanderer. Not very light but packs small enough for a bike. Extremely spacious for a 2 person tent. Lots of storage space and very dry. I've been through more than one thunderstorm and everything has stayed dry.

Nope. The bivy tents need to be staked. A freestanding you can put it up with the minimum of two long poles that clip or slide through provided slots, kinda, and the poles need to cross each other to be self-supportive.

The solo bivy tents will be two separate hoops,one in front one in back that do not cross each other so must be staked. Not always possible to do I would think on very hard or rocky surface.

With the number 2 in the description, sounds like a 2 person tent.
    Oh, ok. Sounds like the bivy tents are small, 1 person minimalist. All tents I've seen uses the shock corded poles and are free standing.

Yes, the MEC Wanderer 2 is 2 person and not something you would want to backpack into the back country. To heavy. The extra space is nice for 1 person + gear and it has 2 doors and 2 vestibules. The quality seems OK. I used to buy tents for the price of a good pair of jeans and there would always be technical/design issues. Wasn't prepared to step up to the $400-$500 range so I thought I'd give the $200+ W2 a go.

The acid test for me is being able to scramble out in the dead of night for a pee without getting the zipper jammed. So far so good.
    soaked and upset

Quote Originally Posted by dankyyz View Post
    My buddy bought the Hubba. Smaller, but perfect for him (and he's a big guy) and a paddling pack.

I had never heard the term bivvy used with a tent. I thought bivvy's were these:
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1280141116819

Which are pretty amazing pieces of gear as well.

I have never been limited by where i can sleep with the HH. There are always trees to use....

Thus far.....

There are several large parks in the US where they say no attaching anything to trees, but they seem to not mind hammocks.

You can take my HH with you some time if you wanna try it. Open offer.

What places have you tried camping thus far?
    those little solo tents are called bivy's as well as an actual bivy.( If thats not to confusing)Gee, I didn't know that some US parks say that you can't hang stuff. I always stay at KOA camps.

Thery are always clean, toilets and showers, the parks themselves are clean, quiet,and safe. Always dry firewood. A bit more expensive than state parks,but they are the Wal-mart of camping., I always know what I am getting.

And after doing 1000 to 1200 k in a day, I just want some peace and quiet. I stayed at a non KOA once and it was an effing nightmare, sorry make that 3 times, drinking, partying,shouting,cars driving around,I didn't even sleep that night,I just packed my stuff back up and left.

I had a guy come after me with a mallet but thats another part of the story.

The HH, would I feel all vulnerable with my back exposed? I mean, I know it's not literally exposed, but suspended, just waiting for bear claws or American Werewolf in London or something.....

But, sure, if you are offering, I would love to give it a try, I AM curious...

Ride safe

Shnizz
    2002 Hayabusa
    2012 Hayabusa
    2015 Hayabusa

Mallet or Mullet?....... Or both?
    "You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime." (Burt Munro)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary64 View Post

Mallet or Mullet?....... Or both?
    lol. Prolly both but i high tailed it outta there so fast on the bike i didnt notice.who" s got time to notice a mullet when there is a mallet involved?
    Lol. It was a pretty rough campground.
    2002 Hayabusa
    2012 Hayabusa
    2015 Hayabusa

Banned

those little solo tents are called bivy's as well as an actual bivy.( If thats not to confusing)Gee, I didn't know that some US parks say that you can't hang stuff. I always stay at KOA camps.

Thery are always clean, toilets and showers, the parks themselves are clean, quiet,and safe. Always dry firewood. A bit more expensive than state parks,but they are the Wal-mart of camping., I always know what I am getting.

And after doing 1000 to 1200 k in a day, I just want some peace and quiet. I stayed at a non KOA once and it was an effing nightmare, sorry make that 3 times, drinking, partying,shouting,cars driving around,I didn't even sleep that night,I just packed my stuff back up and left.

The HH, would I feel all vulnerable with my back exposed? I mean, I know it's not literally exposed, but suspended, just waiting for bear claws or American Werewolf in London or something.....

But, sure, if you are offering, I would love to give it a try, I AM curious...

Ride safe

Shnizz
    Totally open offer. Come down to the big smoke one evening, and i'll show you how to set it up, and fill ur boots up.

i have never felt exposed. I mean, your off the ground, so all the other stuff you worry about scratching against the tent and such are a non issue. I'm not sure what safety a nylon tent gives you against a bear. LOL.

You sneak a thermorest under you, and your snug as a bug. Your back is not on a root, or pinecone, or that rock that they never got out of there. You are mostly level (there is a bit of an art to keepign yourself on a proper angle inside) and totally comfortable.

If the night is nice, you can put the sides of the fly up, and look at the world around you. It's very peaceful. If there is a lake, even better. And if there is a lot of rain/wind you can put the fly down on the corners and it's like being in a tent. I have a lightweight tarp that i use for winter camping so you dont get frost collecting on the fly.

I have done -10 in the thing with pretty heavy wind and slept like a baby. Your back stays warm.

Quote Originally Posted by dankyyz View Post
    Totally open offer. Come down to the big smoke one evening, and i'll show you how to set it up, and fill ur boots up.

i have never felt exposed. I mean, your off the ground, so all the other stuff you worry about scratching against the tent and such are a non issue. I'm not sure what safety a nylon tent gives you against a bear. LOL.

You sneak a thermorest under you, and your snug as a bug. Your back is not on a root, or pinecone, or that rock that they never got out of there. You are mostly level (there is a bit of an art to keepign yourself on a proper angle inside) and totally comfortable.

If the night is nice, you can put the sides of the fly up, and look at the world around you. It's very peaceful. If there is a lake, even better. And if there is a lot of rain/wind you can put the fly down on the corners and it's like being in a tent. I have a lightweight tarp that i use for winter camping so you dont get frost collecting on the fly.

I have done -10 in the thing with pretty heavy wind and slept like a baby. Your back stays warm.
    I almost wept for joy reading that. Anybody else?
    soaked and upset

Do you buy Hennessy Hammocks from the website, or is there a store you can see them at?
    "I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird." FZ

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

KELOWNA 09 'The big wet one..'

Banned

I almost wept for joy reading that. Anybody else?
    Whoops my bad...

[edit] and it's stupid. And your all stupid. And i'm smart, and old, and entitled, and....and.....banned and......somethin....... and loud noises......

Better?

LOL. Assclown.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie t View Post
    Do you buy Hennessy Hammocks from the website, or is there a store you can see them at?
    if you click on some of those mec links in this thread, you'll see a tab for hammocks, and mec sells them, if you've got one of those nearby

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_l...=1280197154741

I saw them at MEC in Burlington.
    soaked and upset

Banned

MEC downtown had a few. There are various "models" but I have only seen/used the model i have.