Edumacate me (sumo) - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edumacate me (sumo)

Re: Edumacate me (sumo)

thanks for the help and discussion guys.

I'm coming down to this:

I like the DRZ but at is current price point (used ~4500) there is no compelling reason not to spend the extra for the KTM (used ~5000) since I'd be spending it anyways getting a bit more juice out of the DRZ.

I'm hoping it doesnt take too long to get used to riding, I havent owned anything except sport bikes in years.. Any half day sumo schools or something I could try out?

I can let you rent one of my bikes at the track
    RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM

Quote Originally Posted by georgy View Post
    I can let you rent one of my bikes at the track
    srsly? I've done track days, just never while sitting upright This is gonna be completely different for me all I've done on dirt/tard bike is test ride them haha.

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    I know and hence my comments, that if you use any sort of pipe, be it Yosh or MRD, with any sort of silencer, you are not getting most of your system, so the money is really not well spent. Are you saying you got to 45HP with quiet insert? I understand the header is a big difference, but you cannot cork it at the end ... at least that's what Dave and Eddie have said many times. In another words, no free lunch, you want extra power (+10HP) the system has to be noisy, unfortunately.

I didn't do a big bore and cams. It is pretty standard for guys to get up to 45 hp with the lower output pipes and big bore/cams. All I meant by the quiet insert comment was it didn't feel like I was loosing out on major power compared to leaving it out. The silencer seems to impact the MRD/SSW a lot more than the low output Yosh system, which makes sense considering the Yosh is meant for street bikes (specific to 400s and sm models) where the MRD/SSW is a race pipe. I agree with you that to get more than 45 you need the MRD/SSW and a lot more noise.

I see ...

That's a good point, but these mods are within 2K all in I am sure. The bike is still very reliable, but yes it will still only be DRZ. If you compare two new machines, you will still be way ahead with DRZ, financially. New KTM are just obnoxiously expensive. Used, might be a different ball game, but I am not sure.
    The DRZ is a great bike for what it is. I should know. I love my DRZ, but its no KTM.

If evo is even debating DRZ vs KTM, he should go KTM. Especially on a supermoto. (Dual purpose would be a different story.) The DRZ would be a riot at deals gap. But coming from a sportbike it will feel anemic and you have to hold it WOT all day to have any fun around here.

There is a 2010 690smc sitting at Orange Motorsports right now for $9800.
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

Quote Originally Posted by Z1K View Post
    The DRZ is a great bike for what it is. I should know. I love my DRZ, but its no KTM.

If evo is even debating DRZ vs KTM, he should go KTM. Especially on a supermoto. (Dual purpose would be a different story.) The DRZ would be a riot at deals gap. But coming from a sportbike it will feel anemic and you have to hold it WOT all day to have any fun around here.

too much! thinking more of an 05/06 625smc

Quote Originally Posted by [evo] View Post
    too much! thinking more of an 05/06 625smc
    Cheap bastard.

Still a much better choice than a DRZ though.
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

That's unbelievable number for a new KTM bike. When I was looking into them a couple of years ago, I was told 11.5 and I will be lucky if they could get me one .....

But coming from a sportbike it will feel anemic and you have to hold it WOT all day to have any fun around here.
    I don't know about that. You are talking about 400 series hwy runs? That's not what the DRZ was built for, You can definitely have fun with a stock bike around here, just not the same way I guess you would with a sportbike in straight line ....

Anyways, I guess it's subjective.

I don't know about that. You are talking about 400 series hwy runs? That's not what the DRZ was built for, You can definitely have fun with a stock bike around here, just not the same way I guess you would with a sportbike in straight line ....

just so you guys know, I coming from the sportbike world because I want a different kind of fun. I recently went to an R1 and its pointless, ripping at unbeleivable acceleration rates is fun but only for so long. I'm hoping to scale back the speeds but up the fun factor. As an ex-donwhill mountain bike racer I think that moving to a tard would be a good idea for me. I dont give a rats *** about how fast I can go in a straight line I'm looking for fun whether it be in the twisties, on a dirt road, or just being a jackass and riding down a couple of stairs. I was thinking more ponies on the DRZ for passing power and the fact that I still do some highway stints, not because I want to buy a sumo and do 300km/h.

just sayin

The I'd say you are on the right path as far sumo platform is concerned ...

Quote Originally Posted by [evo] View Post
    srsly? I've done track days, just never while sitting upright This is gonna be completely different for me all I've done on dirt/tard bike is test ride them haha.
    The problem is, when you ride at true race supermoto then get on a DRZ you'll be scratching your head.

George's bike would cost about $16K to build if you started with a new MX bike.

Comparing it to a DRZ is like comparing a ninja 250 to a ZX6, they're both sport bikes, but they're not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    The problem is, when you ride at true race supermoto then get on a DRZ you'll be scratching your head.

George's bike would cost about $16K to build if you started with a new MX bike.

Comparing it to a DRZ is like comparing a ninja 250 to a ZX6, they're both sport bikes, but they're not the same.
    I think its safe to say I'll cross the DRZ off my list and focus on the 625. And im not saying that will be close to Georges bike either!

The 625 has a lot of grunt, its a fun bike to ride for sure.

I'm not talking about 400series runs or straight roads. I've put my bike through it's paces and know it's shortcomings.

The twisties aren't tight enough around here. There are a few decent roads but they are few and far between. I don't find holding the bike at WOT up the 507 fun and the roads surrounding it aren't much better. There is some decent stuff up near Huntsville but it is one hell of a ride to go for a couple good roads.

One of these days I might make the trek up to the Bracebridge track. It would be pretty fun bike there.
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

I do not know what are you waiting for. Are you buying bike for your self ? Or they are buying it for you ? get the 625 or 690 were 690 will be to much civilized.
    I was panic that my will not last... i met man in montreal he had 120 000 km on hes 640 after a small chat, he told me that after 40 000 he had broken piston ring, but he suspect lean seting out from factory. fixed that. then after 80 000 head gasket. and he was laughing that if he will have a problems every 40 000 now is time to have some thing again.

one thing it needs a god oil best if that what is in manual. He was riding on Mobil1 .
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/Michcio/DSC09814.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Michcio View Post
    I do not know what are you waiting for. Are you buying bike for your self ? Or they are buying it for you ? get the 625 or 690 were 690 will be to much civilized.
    I was panic that my will not last... i met man in montreal he had 120 000 km on hes 640 after a small chat, he told me that after 40 000 he had broken piston ring, but he suspect lean seting out from factory. fixed that. then after 80 000 head gasket. and he was laughing that if he will have a problems every 40 000 now is time to have some thing again.

one thing it needs a god oil best if that what is in manual. He was riding on Mobil1 .
    I am buying the bike for myself. I have decided on the 625, the 690 is too much and the DRZ is too similar in price for me to consider it versus the 625.

Am I taking my time? YES! Not going to rush into buying another bike to regret it. I can't wait to get out to that bracebridge track.