Thread: 600 to start?

Re: 600 to start?

Quote Originally Posted by ZX600 View Post

Tha's because you ride a "Girlie purple Banana"
    shakes head ....

But you are correct lol
    The artist formely known as Frenchfry

Do the dual sport route, and you'll leave the 600's behind in the gravel, have more fun on city streets, and shake your head at them when they tell you about the speeding tickets, fender eliminators, pazzo levers etc, while your fairing is held on with zip ties because of that tree you hit when you throttle wheelied in the single track. :P

Insurance is a huge factor for me. I ride what I can afford, and $60 dollar tires that will run me down to Deal's Gap and back, and still let me play around on Tatham Gap's gravel goat path are just too cool for words.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

I think 600 is perfect to start! I never rode a bike once in my life. I know how to drive manual and i finished my Motorcyle course and am now cruisin around on a 2002 CBR600 F4I. I was told the F4I is actually good to start with, because it's doesnt have as an aggresive stants as other. I am saying this from a beginners point of view, that you probably won't want anything less. I love the F4I
    SevenStars

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStars View Post
    I think 600 is perfect to start! I never rode a bike once in my life. I know how to drive manual and i finished my Motorcyle course and am now cruisin around on a 2002 CBR600 F4I. I was told the F4I is actually good to start with, because it's doesnt have as an aggresive stants as other. I am saying this from a beginners point of view, that you probably won't want anything less. I love the F4I
    i agree to if you did really good at the course and have the confidence . when i got my 00 zx6r to start my friend who rode a F4i taught me in a large parking lot for about 1/2 hr and then we hit the streets . both bikes i believe are ideal for starters . only issue i ever noticed new was getting familiar with the turn in following high speed braking . it's alot of weight to dip into a corner in such a short amount of time , it really has to be fluid or else you will panic and curb it .

It comes down to what your comfortable on. I looked at the GS500, Kawi 250, Gladius, and even the Honda Rebel. Went with the FZ6R, it just felt like the right bike. Lots of fun, corners great and has no problem getting up to speed.

Some people say start on a 600 some on the 250 maybe it is best to start in between. Kawasaki will be releasing a new 400cc bike. Looks really nice, its kind of a bit pricy though I'm looking for a used 600cc myself.

http://www.kawasaki.ca/model/ninja-400r:1256

just to put my 2 cents in,
    a 250 deffinatly has enough power to pass safely

hey SEVENSTARS, do u have the seven stars fairings on ur 02 f4i.

I've ridden the ninja 250, it's comfortable and very light. Handles pretty well.
    At speeds under 120 I think it's fine for passing, but it struggles a bit at higher speeds. My friend did push it to 175

I have a SV650s, which I think is a better first bike choice if you want more passing power, this bike has loads of torque, but I love the VTwin

250 Ninja or 500 Cruiser are good starters.

I had a 750 shadow, and it was ok too. I got myself into trouble a few times that the cruiser forgave that my ZX6 would not have.

Also, even on the ZX6, I rode it stock for a month before upgrading the exhaust and the air filter. Very different bike with those 2 upgrades, and I am glad I got to drive it stock first to get used to the extra power and wrist control needed.

lol guys thanks for the advice...I actually went the dual sport route...which is strange but I like it...a very small xt225 lol... I figured I should be able to offset insurance by giving up some other things I'd like in a bike. again, staying realistic, I want to ride this season still... So the little guy will do fine I guess, plus it looks awesome, over the winter I'll paint the fairings black and name it too!

i started on a 636, no issues at all. You just have to be smart. I guarantee that if you get a 250 that you will want to upgrade within weeks. The 600 will keep you satisfied for a while and it is very manageable as a first bike.

just be smart and ride safe and all will be well!!!!!

goodluck with whatever you choose though!!!
    2004 Kawi zx6r

Awesome!

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Good choice! I don't get why people say a 250cc bike wouldn't be just as fun as a 1000cc. Highway wouldn’t' be the best for the a small cc bike but normal city riding=same thing. The only time you'll notice is trying to keep up on acceleration or on the track. The speed limit remains..

Quote Originally Posted by youreadthis View Post
    lol guys thanks for the advice...I actually went the dual sport route...which is strange but I like it...a very small xt225 lol... I figured I should be able to offset insurance by giving up some other things I'd like in a bike. again, staying realistic, I want to ride this season still... So the little guy will do fine I guess, plus it looks awesome, over the winter I'll paint the fairings black and name it too!
    If you like it, then that's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by VicRR View Post
    Good choice! I don't get why people say a 250cc bike wouldn't be just as fun as a 1000cc. Highway wouldn’t' be the best for the a small cc bike but normal city riding=same thing. The only time you'll notice is trying to keep up on acceleration or on the track. The speed limit remains..

wrong...... don't give advice on something you're only assuming about

its not always the speed that gets newb's in trouble.... a 250 handles COMPLETELY differently from a 1000cc bike... the liter bike is MADE for the track... for the most part they aren't good cruisers in citys

perhaps you've never ridden a 250 cc and 1000cc back to back... the difference is apparent right away

Quote Originally Posted by youreadthis View Post
    good choice!

Ha - another dual-sport convert! Excellent!

I'm on a DR650 and while I find it big and heavy - I figure it's gonna keep me safe and humble. Which - so far - it has. More than enough power around town but not so much fun at higher speeds. But then again - it only has 43 hp!

I read a great article recently where a guy with 300k kms of safe riding stated that "dirt skills" were the #1 reason he stayed up all that way. If you can slide around and toss a bike in the soft stuff - I think it'll hugely help on the road.

Great choice - enjoy!

RK

i road a 09 250 ninja for a year and recently got a 09 zx6 and im very glad i started with the 250. it served me well to learn on and i will miss it. spent lots of time throwing it around corners more aggressively and confidently thats how i knew it was time for me to upgrade. i full suggest starting on a 250 they are a ton of fun

2009 Kawasaki ninja 250r - sold
    2009 kawasaki ZX-6R - current

Great! Dual Sport should be fun!

I started with a Suzuki SV650S, rode it right off the showroom floor and right to home. Great experience!
    ------------------------
    '10 Hyosung GT250R Black Two Brothers
    '04 Suzuki SV650S Yellow

'10 Subaru WRX Charcoal
    '10 Lexus RX350 White
    '06 BMW X3 3.0i White
    '03 BMW 330i Dark Blue
    '98 Honda CRV EX Silver
    '97 VW Jetta GT Black
    '87 Toyota GTS AE86 Rusted Red