600 to start?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 600 to start?

600 to start?

Hye guys I just read the sticky on first bikes and how to choose. I had pretty much decided for myself that I'd ride a 250 or 500 kawasaki. A wierd thing has happened though. I just recently saw a new rider, a friend hop on a bike and do completely fine. I have experience with a dirt bike btw. A 125cc if that means anything. But I also talked to two or three riders on seperate occassions who advised me that a 250 would be useless. That it has no passing power. To be honest, I really like the write up about vanity arguments. You're lying to yourself if you think a 600cc motorcycle is a perfect commuter. So I'm comfortable finding myself a 250. But why are riders encouraging me to go bigger?

Re: 600 to start?

I would go bigger, especially with the dirt bike experience. There are people who say dirt means nothing on the street but I disagree. Look at the countless threads on here about people having the back end slide a half mm and somehow ending up on the ground.

I would pick up an older 600 or even a fzr400/bandit 400.

Banned

DO whatever you want...
    90% of the people who ride/drive shouldnt even be allowed to ride a tricycle never mind operate a motor vehicle, why would you take advice from them..

If you wondering about the Ninja 250R's performance capabilities. I can honestly tell you it has more than enough power to pass. The bike can acelerate to 100 km/h in about 6 to 6.5 secs with a an experienced rider. It tops out at around 175 km/h. I've had the bike on the highway and I'm perfectly comfortable knowing I have ample power to pass if the situation requires it.

Obviuosly you cant compare it to a 600 SS class bike. But I find I can easily accelerate faster than 80% of the vehicles on the road if required.

I'm always wondering how these people are that keep saying a 250 is too slow? Have they ever riden one?

Look up the numerous reviews. There are alot of experinced ridders , racers, etc. that say there is ample power for the street and highway.

Good Luck...in your choice.

I'm comfortable finding myself a 250. But why are riders encouraging me to go bigger?
    It could be anything really, from selfish reasons like they just want you to keep up and not slow them down, or you need a 600 to be cool and fit in with them... to them actually looking out for you, like they really don't want you wasting your time or losing cash.

If you go for the smaller size bike, just buy it used, and at a price you could turn around and sell it 6 months to a year later without losing any real money.

whatever u do make sure ur happy with what u buy, not many people could afford to buy a new bike every season so buy something ur going to enjoy... a bike is only as fast as u let it go.

I started out on a zzr600 with no previous experience. I made sure I always respected the power and spent a lot of time practicing throttle control.

The biggest reason I didn't go smaller was because I live so close to the 401 and didn't have any friends that could give me an idea of how a 250 would handle the highway. I feel safer when i can accelerate out of an incident I see starting.

I agree with the others. If you have prior motorcycle experience then you'd likely be more prepared for a bigger bike, but it also depends on you, your comfort, your size, your budget etc.

If you don't want to go with a 250 Ninja then going for a 600cc bike doesn't have to mean an SS. Have you checked out the Ninja 650, Yamaha FZ6R or Suzuki GSX-650F? Those are midsized sport tourer bikes which are seen as "beginner friendly" and may fit with what you're looking for.

Good luck!

My wife has a 250 Ninja and it is a great bike. That said, I'm a big guy and it lacks power to get me around. I have to down shift and rev it to 8,000k to get up a local hill . It will make do but you will tire of it easily and be looking next year for a biger one. My first bike was a 750 cruiser and went to 1000 after a year. Dont buy a supersport right out of the gate. SV650, or the others mentioned are good choices. Predictable power that wont get you into trouble.

Imagine 8,000 rpm at 100km/h on the 401! Thats a Ninja 250.... Compare that to 5,500rpm and loads of passing power for a 600 at that speed.

Do what makes you comfortable.

I was gonna get a GS500 as a compromise, until I took my course and realised that I am really comfortable on bikes (in general), and doing really well at the course gave me the confidence to start on an SV650.

I think 600 F4i's, or SV650's are the most aggressive "starter" bikes there are.

I read post after post and then bought a cbr f4 (600cc). Maturity and caution play a big role. If rode responsible you will have no issues. I think there are a lot of people who are stuck riding smaller bikes because of insurance and want to keep others on smaller bikes. Seems silly to me. You can ride a 250 recklessly, just the same as a 600. Take it slow and easy. I am taking everything in steps. Parking lot first, then subdivision, then riding around town, then major roads to work and then on the highway. You build experience, confidence and your basic skills will progress. The old building block adage comes to mind.
    2000 CBR F4, stock as a rock for now.

my 3rd season on a 250. still not 'bored' or 'outgrown' the bike. but a lot of that will also depend on who u ride with. if they just rip it up and down the straight aways and on highway, u will want a bigger bike. a 500 would still be a good compromise though.
    still a noob.

Need prescription eyeglasses? contact me.

If you are ready to drop yr 600cc baby like me, get one!!! Learning things the hard way is not that bad.
    Tom
    Yamaha 07 R6 Charcoal

Quote Originally Posted by gav.man View Post
    I'm a big guy and it lacks power to get me around. I have to down shift and rev it to 8,000k to get up a local hill .
    Downshift from 8k and you're probably still a gear too high for that bike. It's not like your cruiser with lots of power down low. You gotta really wind it up. Don't worry It's meant for it!

You are not a new rider, get whatever bike you want. You should know about throttle and braking control. You should know that the SS will be touchy. Before you buy check insurance costs, as they may greatly influence or outright dictate what bike you can ride.

Smile Re: 600 to start?

My 2 cents => Was in the same situation around more than 2 years ago. Decided to go with CBR600 F4i cuz I thought 250 is too small, and not too cool, and bla bla bla! I went down the second week after I picked up the bike. Reason => Not enough experience about handling the bike!

600cc bikes compared to 250cc are heavier, way faster and really hard to corner if you have no experience on the street. The chances are if you're really lucky with some past riding experience, you might drop or crash at low speeds.

My advice, if you decide to go with a 600cc, get an older one first. It hurts to see scratches on your beauty!
    07 Yamaha R1 Charcoal
    07 Yamaha R6 Charcoal => Gone!
    02 CBR F4I => Gone!

Get a 250/500 if you really wanna learn how to ride. Get a 600 if its just going to be weekend joy ride down the 401.

Be hoenst with yourself and you already know the answer to your question.

Remember, priced right, you can change bikes, pretty much every wee if you want. There's allot of bikes out there and always will be.

Get a 250, get used to it, then an SV and so on.

With today's laws, Having the fastest gun isnt the best of ideas, unless you like the attention.
    The artist formely known as Frenchfry

Quote Originally Posted by pluto.saunders View Post
    Get a 250/500 if you really wanna learn how to ride. Get a 600 if its just going to be weekend joy ride down the 401.
    Really . I got to stop replying to these dumb threads

Quote Originally Posted by DaFrEnChGuY View Post

With today's laws, Having the fastest gun isnt the best of ideas, unless you like the attention.
    Tha's because you ride a "Girlie purple Banana"
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

I got a little 250 two weeks ago, I was hoping to start with 500 or 600 but then after mad brain processing I lower myself to 250, not only for the price of the bike but also the insurance, I was so sure that a 500/600cc would be fine.

Now I am happy about my 250, i really had no experience before my M2 course so this bike is giving me a chance to learn, move around town and go slow without dragging the back break. cornering at slow speeds is really hard, so the little bike gives me a chance to make mistakes and recover from them.

I am so glad I did not go for a +500cc , many riders I've come across and even cage drivers look at me and give me props for starting in such a small bike, builds confidence and skills, they tell me when you start small you turn to be a much better rider in later yrs.

like many others mention, go for what you feel, even if its a 50cc, pick what you like and run with it. Many 'non-riders' will ***** and complain and comment, but really you are the one on the bike, you are the one enjoying it.. while they watch you from the side walk.