Maybe i wont be riding this year ;( - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maybe i wont be riding this year ;(

Re: Maybe i wont be riding this year ;(

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    To the OP, which insurance company was giving you the lowest quote? NOTE: I want the name of the insurance provider, not the brokerage.

Did you check out my sticky yet?
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=111466

DAMN!... I got a lot of reading for tonight.. wow

Unfortunately, you and all young riders are screwed for high premiums. The best option is to wait 1 year after your M1 and go with Jevco. At least you'll get a partial break on premiums. If you cannot afford this year's premium, then sell and wait. Is riding worth $3,500 for insurance. You also need to buy riding gear, which will also add up.

I know you wanted to ride this year, but be patient and wait until next year. Sell your bike and save some cash for next year. And next time get a written quote for insurance BEFORE you buy any vehicle. Insurance can be more expensive than your vehicle.

Some general tips for lowering your insurance:
    -get older
    -get a used bike, like before 1995, and only insure for liability
    -change your deductible, from $500 to $1,000
    -don't live in Toronto, specifically Scarborough/Markham, but there are other areas that are high for insurance

As an aside, and I'm not saying that you will, but don't ride without insurance. if you do hit something or someone and have no insurance the other party will go after you for a huge sum of money for compensation and take money from you for the rest of your life. It's a huge gamble to ride without insurance. You need it by law.
    Last edited by TorontoBoy; 07-08-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    Less than 5 years ago I was paying about $500 for what he described is now $950. Rates definitely go up lol.
    For sure, but that seems like a pretty significant increase (keep in mind I was riding a 500 and the OP is looking at 250 rates). My rates have been fairly consistent on a 750 for the past 4 years. Who knows though, there are so many things to take into consideration with insurance.

I forgot that I read something about riders with less than a year of experience getting hit harder than before, so that makes a bit more sense.

Never heard that but it could definitely explain it.

2 years after I was paying about $500/year on the 50 my gf was quoted about $900 for the year on the same bike (and she was older than I was when I was paying $500). It may have changed somewhere in those 2 years.

trust me i understand your pain....ive been on that boat for a long time...insurance companies S**K...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodie_laj View Post
    So i was very excited because i just bought and picked up my first motorcycle yesterday, the bike is a Ninja 250.

I got home and tried to call some insurance companies but they all close at 5:00 so i got of work early today to come home and make some calls...

well i am 17 i have my M2, i took the course and i have a clean record... i also have my G2 and drive and insure under my name my truck....

So after calling a bunch of places the cheapest i could find was $3400 BASIC LIABILITY

WHAT THE HELL, just because im young does not mean im an ***... i dont do drugs, dont drink... nothin!!! i want my excitement to come from riding and it looks like at that rate i might not be able to ride this year

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
    Hate to break it to you but there are plenty of "inexperienced teens" on the road that drive way more curdiously then half the other retards out there...
    i agree

Pocket you are right, and being young we tend to learn things a lot quicker than say a 40 year old starting out...
    Remember a lof of times, people learn from their mistakes. You will probably be seriously hurted or even dead before you can learn from your mistake on the road, and that's the type of mistake you can't afford.

This is why insurance rate is higher for younger people, they don't care if you are mature or not, all they look for is your driving experience, you are 17 years old, 1-2 years of driving exp top? how do you convince your insurance company to give you a cheaper rate with that type of exp? I would wait it out untill you gain more driving exp.
    David L.
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848
    1995 Honda CBR900RR (SOLD)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R600 (SOLD)
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R (SOLD)

yea same with me, before i got my 250, insurance played me like a dozen times......but all in all, if you really cant afford the insurance for the bike you have now, either get something less exotic and build your insurance from there, or what the people here say, track the bike lol

I have been riding for 20 years. My dream bike is a 1994-96 ZX11 but the insurance is making it out of my reach. I feel for you....but at the same time I haven't bought a bike and then called the insurance company, I did the research and then stayed with my current ride. I hear you about the fact that you are a fine young man, paying your way and driving proper.....I wish that counted for something. but the simple fact is they would have to interview you and everyone who knows you to find that out and that type of background check would raise everyones rates!!!!

Sorry to hear that, OP. I don't mean to rub it in but if you had asked on here or any other part of the forum about getting your first bike, people wouldve told you to check insurance first. It's a general recommendation for every newb and I'm really shocked you wouldn't bother with it, especially at your age.

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    Suck it up buttercup lol.

I still remember the 5g's a year that i use to pay to insure my Mustang back in the 80's.

How did i pay for it, worked two jobs.

Was it worth it, oh yeah.

Do again, yep.
    Hah, i had the same rate when I was 18 and had my first fox body. But otoh I couldn't justify pissing away that much money after a few months and sold the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch06 View Post
    I have been riding for 20 years. My dream bike is a 1994-96 ZX11 but the insurance is making it out of my reach. I feel for you....but at the same time I haven't bought a bike and then called the insurance company, I did the research and then stayed with my current ride. I hear you about the fact that you are a fine young man, paying your way and driving proper.....I wish that counted for something. but the simple fact is they would have to interview you and everyone who knows you to find that out and that type of background check would raise everyones rates!!!!
    Precisely.

Mitch, have you tried quoting the ZX11 with both State Farm and TD? It shouldn't be too terrible (but I suppose that depends on your definition of terrible).
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

but $3400 plus the $3800 i have to pay for my truck = $7200 and that is just insane.

For that kinda dough, I would be taking limo's everywhere!
    Rubber Side Down!

Chris

2002 Harley Electra Glide Classic - Current

2001 Vulcan 1500 Classic - SOLD!!!!!!!
    2005 R6 - SOLD!!!!!!!
    2000 VTR 1000F - gone but not forgotten!
    1998 Katana (Kan O Tuna) 750 - Sold
    1983 Virgo 750 - First bike

I am with state farm they base their rates on how long u have your G and your age. So get your G.

Quote Originally Posted by draggone View Post
    I am with state farm they base their rates on how long u have your G and your age. So get your G.
    Actually, they calculate your experience (aka Driving Record) something like this:

Experience = 1Yr + G2/G Yrs (provided you are claims free in all of these years)

I don't think they care about whether you have your G2 or full G, but I could be wrong.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

With the increase in rates recently, the Ninja 250 costs about the same to insure as the 650.

It's NOT cheap on insurance anymore, you're better off getting something else as a first bike nowadays.
    '09 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - Green - Current
    '10 Kawasaki Ninja 250R -
    Black - 9000km - Sold
    '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R -
    Red - 5000km - R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    Precisely.

Mitch, have you tried quoting the ZX11 with both State Farm and TD? It shouldn't be too terrible (but I suppose that depends on your definition of terrible).

Viffer.....thanks for the info...I checked out TD today and you are right, much more reasonable. going to check out a 94 ZX11 tomorrow (anyone interested in an 06 Katana 600 lol!!). Not sure if he is your competition but also want to say thanks to Avi Singh....he called me back and gave me the same info (go with StateFarm or TD) and there was nothing in it for him, just passing on some great info. Thanks guys!!!

In the country about 20 mins from Cambridge

GREAT NEWS!!!
    One of the Brokers i had called gave me a call back and had a great quote for me! $2172 for basic liability, thats awesome!!

I WILL BE RIDING THIS YEAR

Congrats bro.....still ridiculous rate but if you can handle it I look forward to seeing you on the road!!

...One of the Brokers i had called gave me a call back and had a great quote for me! $2172 for basic liability, thats awesome!!

I WILL BE RIDING THIS YEAR
    Please get this quote IN WRITING. If you have financed the bike most finance companies will require comprehensive insurance.

In the country about 20 mins from Cambridge

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoBoy View Post
    Please get this quote IN WRITING. If you have financed the bike most finance companies will require comprehensive insurance.
    It is already in writing, signed and finalized.... the bike is not financed so i dont need the comprehensive