Maybe i wont be riding this year ;(

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maybe i wont be riding this year ;(

In the country about 20 mins from Cambridge

Angry Maybe i wont be riding this year ;(

So i was very excited because i just bought and picked up my first motorcycle yesterday, the bike is a Ninja 250.

I got home and tried to call some insurance companies but they all close at 5:00 so i got of work early today to come home and make some calls...

well i am 17 i have my M2, i took the course and i have a clean record... i also have my G2 and drive and insure under my name my truck....

So after calling a bunch of places the cheapest i could find was $3400 BASIC LIABILITY

WHAT THE HELL, just because im young does not mean im an ***... i dont do drugs, dont drink... nothin!!! i want my excitement to come from riding and it looks like at that rate i might not be able to ride this year

Re: Maybe i wont be riding this year ;(

Just a thought...Save your insurance money and take your bike to the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie_laj View Post
    WHAT THE HELL, just because im young does not mean im an ***

statistically speaking, being young and male, you are in a high risk group. Your rates will reflect that. The longer you have insurance with a clean record, the lower yoru rates will go.

Quote Originally Posted by evang View Post
    statistically speaking, being young and male, you are in a high risk group. Your rates will reflect that. The longer you have insurance with a clean record, the lower yoru rates will go.
    ya i understand that there is a lot of people my age that are complete morons that have no respect for the road.... unfortunatley i have to pay for them and that sucks! I figured insurance would be $2500 basic liability and i would be okay with that... but $3400 plus the $3800 i have to pay for my truck = $7200 and that is just insane.

ya i understand that there is a lot of people my age that are complete morons that have no respect for the road.... unfortunatley i have to pay for them and that sucks! I figured insurance would be $2500 basic liability and i would be okay with that... but $3400 plus the $3800 i have to pay for my truck = $7200 and that is just insane.
    If you knew your truck was going to be $3,800 then you shouldn't have been surprised by the bike quotes.
    I may be an olde farte, but my bike insurance is almost identical to my car insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by RichinOville View Post
    If you knew your truck was going to be $3,800 then you shouldn't have been surprised by the bike quotes.
    I may be an olde farte, but my bike insurance is almost identical to my car insurance.
    i have already had the truck insurance for 5 months... but a bike is still different you only ride it about 8 months of they year and its for pure pleasure.... my point regardless is i find it to be a very high rate (both truck and bike) and it is not fair that myself or any other responsible people my age have to pay for the people that go out partying and end up drinking and driving etc...
    One guy i talked to said if i wait a year from getting my M1 it would drop to about $2000, i can live with that but i am not crazy about having to wait until May 27th 2011 (year from getting M1) to ride the bike i already have

Quote Originally Posted by toraider View Post
    Just a thought...Save your insurance money and take your bike to the track.
    track riding/racing is NOT cheaper than insurance.

probably should have checked rates before you bought the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    track riding/racing is NOT cheaper than insurance.
    lol ya i know, i dont like that idea anyways... i wouldnt mind a track day now and then but for now i want to ride, not have to go out to the track and stuff all the time

Thread = story of my life... Im 21 and rates are still expensive as ****.... and for what?!?! My age...

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

It's pretty crazy.
    Just Liability Insurance for my 16 year old Daughter is $950 on a 50cc Scooter.

It's all the statistics, Guys under 21 crash a lot of bikes.

It's great when people go out and just buy a bike without first checking the insurance premiums first. What? You're suprised your paying $5k for a 600 at 16? If you want to play you have to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by silence View Post
    It's great when people go out and just buy a bike without first checking the insurance premiums first. What? You're suprised your paying $5k for a 600 at 16? If you want to play you have to pay.
    reading is not your strong point is it?
    I did check last year and found reasonable rates
    Im 17 with M2 and ninja 250 and the rate is $3400

No where did you mention you already checked insurance rates before you bought the bike...

Also yeah, jevco cuts a huge break after having an M1 for 1 year. But youre still going to be paying out the *** until you turn 25.

My insurance drops literally 75% between this year and next, when i turn 25. This year im paying 1400, next year ill be paying ~300...

Im 17 with M2 and ninja 250 and the rate is $3400
    Not to make you feel bad, but when you're old you can look forward to paying $350/year full coverage for a Ninja 250.

However, that will be offset by a lot of other things you will be paying for - a lot of it having nothing to do with money. Enjoy your youth and don't complain too much about it!

Suck it up buttercup lol.

I still remember the 5g's a year that i use to pay to insure my Mustang back in the 80's.

How did i pay for it, worked two jobs.

Was it worth it, oh yeah.

Do again, yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    I still remember the 5g's a year that i use to pay to insure my Mustang back in the 80's.
    Those were pretty high premiums for a 40-year old...

Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson View Post
    No where did you mention you already checked insurance rates before you bought the bike...

Also yeah, jevco cuts a huge break after having an M1 for 1 year. But youre still going to be paying out the *** until you turn 25.

My insurance drops literally 75% between this year and next, when i turn 25. This year im paying 1400, next year ill be paying ~300...
    ya i know i didnt mention that but w/e
    anyways i am certainly not trying to start any arguments or anything all im getting at is that i beleive that at the age of 17 i have accomplished a lot, high school graduate, full time job, owning my own truck and now buying my own motorcycle... i dont drink, dont do drugs, i am very very responsible/mature for my age and i just hate the fact that insurance for my age bracket is so high because of 'statistics' (all of the other people that do drive reckless and make irresponsible choices)
    I have been researching (and reading this forum) every day and planning to buy my first bike for the last year and a half and i finally got it but might not be able to ride this year because of insurance cost this year

i dont think it should be too hard to understand the frustration... btw i live out in the country where rates should generally be cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Lightcycle View Post
    Those were pretty high premiums for a 40-year old...
    Maybe had something to do with me being a little slow to figure out that you Canucks were driving on the wrong side of the road.

Could you get a better rate as an occasional rider - say less than 5,000km per year and not to and from work, since you have the truck as your primary means of transportation? 4 years ago, I insured my 2000 DRZ 400S, liability only, with $2,000 deductible for $365 per year with Kingsway as an occasional rider. Being 41 at the time with only one minor traffic violation and no claims in the last 15 years may have helped as well. Now my 2009 KTM 950 Super Enduro R is a bit more.......$1,100 per year with comprehensive and a $1,000 deductible.

All you young new riders really get screwed! $3,400? Thats crazy!