Good way to leave the city heading East?

Thread: Good way to leave the city heading East?

Good way to leave the city heading East?

I'm looking for a good route to leave the city (Downtown) heading East towards the Perth area. I was considering Hwy 7, or Hwy 2. Any suggestions? The 401 scares me! People have suggested Hwy 4. Is that a good way to go?
    Last edited by handwritten; 07-07-2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Clarification

Re: Good way to leave the city heading East?

I usually tough the 401 all the way until Kingston just for an excuse to take the Old Perth Rd (Division St exit)... Takes you through Wesport to Perth.

As an alternate I take exit 37 at Belleville and head through Tweed to hwy 7. Then I travel hwy 7 all the way to Perth (watching my speed as there are cops every 50ft on that hwy)

Sorry I'm not much of a help for avoiding the 401, but usually I just try to get home (Perth) in as short a time as possible.... Then once I'm home I find the good roads to ride (511 & 509 etc)

Thanks for the suggestions!

I did the trip this weekend, and took 7 all the way to Winchester Road (Concession 7, which turns into Conc. 8 * to the 115, then up to 7 again; my final destination being Merrickville, 30mins E. of Perth.

On the way back, I did 7 > 115 > Hwy. 4, but 4 got too suburban, so I took the 401 the rest of the way.

The trip was 6 hours of riding each way, which seemed like a lot. My thighs were killing me after 4 hours, which prompted me to investigate mods to make my SV more highway-friendly. Symbiotix, I think next time I'll follow your lead and suck it up on the 401 in the interest of leaving time for better roads in the East. Amen to 511/509!

*Although this was a navigation error, that road is terrific. Up and down.

Old perth road is awesome! you could take the 401 to belleville then Jump on Hwy 2 to kingston.

But Hwy 2 isnt too exciting, you do get to go through some of kingston thats OK...

Old perth RD is great tho!!!