Trip to NY/VT/NH

Thread: Trip to NY/VT/NH

Trip to NY/VT/NH

Just got back from 4 days on the road. Weather was great. I started from Aurora, and rode to Lake Placid via Thousand Islands bridge to Watertown Ny and #3(beautiful road) to Lake Placid where I spent the night. The next day I crossed Lake Champlain on the ferry to Vermont. Cruised through 125(east) to 100 which cut through the Green Mountains in a northerly direction. Reached Montpelier Vermont and then headed in an easterly direction towards New Hampshire. When east on 302 which connects to the most beautiful road this guy has ever seen (in the northeast). It is called 112, although the locals call it by some indian name which I can't remember. Anyways this road winds through the White Mountain National Forest for maybe 75 miles and has breath taking mountain views that make it hard to keep your eyes on the road. I then headed north on 16 for may be 50 miles where I reached my destination for the night, Gorham NH. This is where Mount Washington is located and course cliimbing the mountain was on my agenda. I reached the toll road at 4:30 and luckily they were open until 6:00pm. (I was surprised since Whiteface closes at 4:00 pm) I have ridden up Whiteface in Lake Placid many times and although it is quite scenic the drive is not the least bit scary since the road has a stone ledge which keeps vehicles from driving off the road. Mount Washington is another animal altogether. It is longer (8 miles), steeper, narrower, has no shoulder barriers, and the road turns to a dirt surface for the last couple of miles. I not ashamed to say that though it was quite exhilarating it was also quite scary. At 6200 feet, Mount Washington is the highest peak in the north east and it's really quite impressive. I stayed over night in Gorham and enjoyed the local town which was enjoying July 4 festivities. Got to say that I got a kick out of all the locals and traveling bikers (mostly from QC) riding bare-headed. Next day I head west on 2 to Burlingon Vt. where I crossed the lake again via ferry to Plattsburg Ny. I headed south towards 9N where I connected with 86 to Lake Placid. It was only 2:00pm so I shot up Whiteface Mountain and enjoyed the views, although it was some what anticlimactic after having visited New Hampshire. If I had to sum it up, I'd say the the Adirondacks are beautiful, Vermont is charming, and New Hampshire is in a league of it's own.
    Last edited by Carmen; 09-06-2010 at 01:13 PM.
    Aurora

Re: Trip to NY/VT/NH

Been there done that. What a great ride, gonna be going back in Aug can`t wait.
    Every time i go down there I think about moving. There I come to realize it snows there too lol.
    Mt Washington has those big boulders that are supposed to prevent you from going of the edge around the bends, however there designed for cars and the spaces between them are to far apart to stop a bike.

Beautiful. I've been down that way a few times on my way to and from Prince Edward Island.

I'm glad you had a good trip.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

I'm planning on doing a Cabot Trail trip the first week of September, I'll be taking these roads into consideration on the way!

#2 HWY that runs through vt, nh, and maine is one of the better roads i have ridden in the east, its a must hit if you anywhere near it...its long and twisty.

Since you will be out this way, you may also want to check out the Wharf Rat Rally in Digby, N.S. from Sept 1 - 6th.

http://www.wharfratrally.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mac_135 View Post
    I'm planning on doing a Cabot Trail trip the first week of September, I'll be taking these roads into consideration on the way!
    Middle River's Cabot Trail Motorcycle Retreat
    http://www.ctmcretreat.com

1993 YZF750
    1988 NT650 Hawk
    1988 DR750
    1953 BSA C-11

Quote Originally Posted by mac_135 View Post
    Speaking of the east coast, I didn't realize until I got home that I was only 93 miles (a two hour ride) from Portland Maine when I was in Gorham New Hampshire. I could have easily made it if I'd pushed a little harder. Oh well, next time I guess.
    Aurora

Hey Carmen great to see you're still enjoying your Bandit! Sounds like a nice trip, and I love the pictures. I'm not sure I have ever seen one of you bikes that dirty though!

Smile Re: Trip to NY/VT/NH

Great to hear from you Tim.

I hope you're finding time to ride.

Cheers,

Carmen
    Aurora

I've done some of that in my cage and loved the trip. Some unusual notes:

1. I had the best Sushi ever in landlocked Lake Placid
    2. Had an amazing meal in Burlington VT at a french bistro on the pedestrian plaza