00 Rebel 250cc

Thread: 00 Rebel 250cc

00 Rebel 250cc

Has anyone ever run the Rebel on the highway? could it keep up? is it too light?

I am wondering if I should come close to the highway or stay off.
    Thanks

Re: 00 Rebel 250cc

Quote Originally Posted by afelotreyu View Post
    Has anyone ever run the Rebel on the highway? could it keep up? is it too light?

I am wondering if I should come close to the highway or stay off.
    Thanks
    My Gf had a Suzuki Marauder,very similiar,250.
    She rode with us at a comfortable pace 110-115,not much more left after that.
    Fun bikes,great to learn on.

My GF has 85 rebel ... I am pretty sure you can take it on the highway I just wouldn't. It will coast at 100km/hr but has no power after that. Its pretty hard an the hand as well, feel like you been holding on to a paint shaker at that speed. The shaking ws bad enough that it rattled exhaust bolts loose after an 2 or 3 hr sustained highway speeds.

But to learn on its the prefect bike. I have done some stupid stuff on her bike that would kill me on my bike.
    Bishop
    ex - Red '96 GS500e
    now - Dark '09 696 Now with Red parts

Quote Originally Posted by bishop View Post
    My GF has 85 rebel ... I am pretty sure you can take it on the highway I just wouldn't. It will coast at 100km/hr but has no power after that. Its pretty hard an the hand as well, feel like you been holding on to a paint shaker at that speed. The shaking ws bad enough that it rattled exhaust bolts loose after an 2 or 3 hr sustained highway speeds.

But to learn on its the prefect bike. I have done some stupid stuff on her bike that would kill me on my bike.
    Bishop said it. I had an '85 Honda Rebel for less than a year. Put on 7k km and learned a lot of maintenance on her as she left me in much better shape than I found her. Total paintcan at 100+ km/hr. Vibrated like all hell and not a lot of juice left ever after cleaning plugs and replacing chain and sprocket.

You might be ok with quick DVP boots or downtown Gardiner... If your girlfriend wants to try it at that speed, go out with her on a weekday evening or night when traffic will be clear.

When I was 16 I had a rebel 250.
    Could maintain an indicated 130-140 on the 402, even with my g/f riding pillion.
    My hands and feet would vibrate to numb in minutes over 100 kmh though.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

I have a an 85' rebel 250 and have taken it on freeways many times, including the 407, 400, and highway 11 (I've ridden her from Richmond Hill out to Algonquin park and back a few times). I can get my bike up to burying the needle on the speedometer (which shows 140 km/hour) but I doubt I was actually going that fast. I estimate that the fastest I have been able to get her up to is about 120 and I have been able to sustain this speed for at least 30 minutes at a time.

Of course, since you are already all-out in 5th gear at this point, if you need sudden acceleration, you are totally ****ed.

There is a good amount of vibration and my legs do get numb after about an hour. Coming home one day from Algonquin I had to stop pretty-much every 45 minutes to shake-out my legs and get the feeling back.

So, in short, yes you can take the Rebel on the freeway. Check-out what this guy did: http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18512

To combat Rebel-vibe, I used to hang my feet off the front of the pegs, with the pegs basically resting against the back of my achilles heel. It hepled alot, but wasnt the safest idea.
    Welfare hiway pegs,LOL
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

I think this answers my Q,
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFWfh8t3cZc"]YouTube- Honda Rebel Interstate[/ame]

Odd enough his bike sounds really light, I dunno if this is the cam position, or maybe my bike is just screwed or Im not familiar with the noise. but sometimes at 60km I feel like it is really Rev.

I should drop by a mechanic and have it fully serviced

Do it yourself, it's an easy bike to work on. For performance check your chain tightness, sprockets for wear, pull the plugs and take a peak (easy to get to on this bike), run some carb cleaner or seafoam through it, check tire pressure.

After that, make any adjustments necessary and call it a day. It's a 233cc 18 hp bike, no point breaking the bank for performance. If you're clueless how to do this ask questions here or on the rebel250.com forum (I think it's still up) and we'll take a look.

Also keep in mind what's indicated isn't necessarily what the truth is. Most motorcycles are about 10% optimistic on the speedo (vs. gps or speed gun). Meaning this guy's 130 is most likely 117 km/hr. Nice on an empty sunny interstate, DVP or Gardiner, not so nice on a crowded 401.
    Last edited by adri; 07-10-2010 at 07:41 AM.