Just need some advice.

Thread: Just need some advice.

Just need some advice.

I just started riding a few months ago, and I'd like to start doing some more touring. I've already started looking at what I'd like for my next bike, and I've jumped from about 3 different ones. The V-Strom 650, VFR 800, and *an R6 for about a week there after I found the 507* I'm currently riding a 2009 FZ6R and its a great little bike, ton's of fun, but I'd like something with a little more power for riding 2-up and carrying gear.
    So I hear there's a 2000 VFR 800 with 5k and in mint condition coming into a local bike place, and the owner said he'd give me a call as soon as it comes in before its listed as for sale. If the bike is sound should I look at the possibility of upgrading? I've had a couple people say I should ride for a year or so, so I can decide what I'd like to do. But if its a great deal should I go for it?

Just looking for some friendly advice.

~Brewer

Re: Just need some advice.

a 2000 vfr isn't going to be much of a step from the FZ you currently ride.. and its a 10 year old bike now. The service costs on the VFR will also be steeper than the FZ. The VFR might be a small step towards a better touring bike if it comes with all the touring goodies such as luggage etc, otherwise you can get all the luggage you need for the FZR and it will make just as good a touring machine.

I recently rode a friends 2001 VFR and it was very nice, though a lot stiffer than my current ride, and more weight on the wrists. I think most vfr owners who use them for touring end up sinking a few $$ into tweaking the comfort.

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

I do have VFR (2002) and V Strom (1000) . For me VFR is to much on my wrists as a tourer. On V-strom I can go for hours. 1000 is more comparable to VFR 800 then 650. For 2002 and up you can get bags (eather OEM or aftermarket), but you gone have hard time with earlier models. No problem in this department with V-Strom. 650 is a great bike, but if you planning 2 up with luggage definitly V-Strom 1000. Take it for a ride and... good luck.
    Last edited by rick123; 07-03-2010 at 02:45 AM.

ooh, maybe a Triumph Sprint ST? Those look kinda nice ^,^

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/...t-ar71454.html

www.thirdwheeltrailers.com

add one to your current bike and voila! Instant touring bike, and it pops off and rolls into your motel room in 30 seconds.
    Last edited by omnivore; 07-05-2010 at 12:52 AM.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Jump all over me if you will but 3 months experience doesn't qualify moving up the power band 2-up just yet.
    "...with extreme prejudice."
    www.mapleafmoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brewer264 View Post
    So I hear there's a 2000 VFR 800 with 5k and in mint condition coming into a local bike place, and the owner said he'd give me a call as soon as it comes in before its listed as for sale.

~Brewer
    Only 5,000kms wow.

Great bike, at slower speeds it will feel a little heavier than your current bike but once at speed it won't be noticeable.

If this a deal that's too good to be true then i would jump all over it.

The VFR is and has always been a good solid bike. If the price is rite you can`t go wrong, throw some Givi luggage on it and you good to go.

I can't really comment on how much power you need or want but I know plenty of friends that do two-up touring on the V-Strom DL-650. Last year I had the opportunity to carry a friend from Ohio to Pickering (over 800 km) after he crashed his V-Strom DL1000. My bike had the topcase and side cases on and we superslabbed at 75mph (120 kph) to 85 mph (140 kph) all the way home. The two of us on the bike likely caused it to exceed the GVWR. The funny thing was that my friend, who had the DL1000, was impressed by the power of the DL650. I agree that a DL1000 would give you more power, especially if you shortened the overall gearing a bit, but for many the DL650 is plenty good.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

You would be silly to trade that 2009 on the VFR... if you have spare cash to spend.. sure.. and then sell the FZ because it is worth more than the VFR. Only 5000kms on the VFR I would also be concerned about seals, rubber, hoses, tires etc because that bike has sat for several years doing nothing.

As to 2-Up... its funny... The Fz6 you ride now has more power than the average liter bike 25 years ago... I found it was easy to scare the passenger with a twist of the wrist on my 83 gpz 550... The power of today's bikes just means you can get lazier and shift less +)

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

Quote Originally Posted by MapleafMike View Post
    Jump all over me if you will but 3 months experience doesn't qualify moving up the power band 2-up just yet.
    +1

I have a naked sv650 and I have done two long trips (one 6400kms, the other 4800kms). I also ride two up for day trips (6 or 7 hours in the saddle) sometimes as well.

My little sv650 is more than capable of doing the job. If I were in your shoes, I'd get some saddle bags for your fz6 and just start riding.