Buying my first cruiser....need some advice - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying my first cruiser....need some advice

Re: Buying my first cruiser....need some advice

Don't use a jack, use a stand.

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    Which stand do you recommend? I haven't found one that will fit my bike as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
    My point about dropping the bike was that when you are learning, its better to take care of your skin than worrying about saving the bike. As a new rider, if he never drops his bike he will be in a very small group.

Never meant to suggest that he had to buy a 25 year old bike, just something he could afford to lose. Let him kick the #$#^ out of it without worrying. I tend to prepare for the worst and then enjoy when it works out better.

rick123, you and I have gone different routes and we both seem happy with our choices. Its all cool.
    You're right. That's the main point. Stay cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougra View Post
    Which stand do you recommend? I haven't found one that will fit my bike as of yet.
    None in particular just yet, I'm in the same dilemma as you. I just sold my jack because, while it worked well for my last bike, it won't work with the current, for the same reasons.

Gotta start visiting some friends with stands and try there's out, or take the measurements from the bolts on each end of the rear tire axle and shop around online or in person with that info.

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    You can use a jack too. Just put 2 2x4 or 4x4 along the frame so it's gone stick out below the exhaust and then lift it up with the jack (motorcycle jack - I think on special at CT this week for$60 or 65)

Quote Originally Posted by rick123 View Post
    You can use a jack too. Just put 2 2x4 or 4x4 along the frame so it's gone stick out below the exhaust and then lift it up with the jack (motorcycle jack - I think on special at CT this week for$60 or 65)
    Most of the time, you're right. Sometimes the ground clearance of the pipes is actually less than the height of the lifting arms of the jack. In that case you need a separate platform for each tire and a gap in between (I tried using the sidewalk and a speedbump), just to get the jack under... and you still need the wood blocks...

At that stage you realize that you could've lubed/cleaned/adjusted/replaced/whatever with the bike on the floor and saved yourself the time/sweat/effort... or at least, that's what I came to realize is the case for my bike.