need some dual sport info - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need some dual sport info

Re: need some dual sport info

Quote Originally Posted by 7plymaple View Post
    I think the guys name was Laurence Hacking. Im sure some guys on here who did the event can correct me if Im wrong. I heard he finished the real Dakar. I didnt get to meet him but our team drew the spot right before his in the starting order. So the Veradero was right behind our bikes. I do know his team finished and we didnt lol.
    That makes sense. Lawence Hacking tests bikes for Cycle Canada. I remember reading about them taking the Varadaro on a big Canadian off road event as a lark.

Quote Originally Posted by inreb View Post
    That makes sense. Lawence Hacking tests bikes for Cycle Canada. I remember reading about them taking the Varadaro on a big Canadian off road event as a lark.
    It insane the level of some guys riding! Im sure it wouldnt be a lark to me if I had to take that bike through that ride lol. But its nice to see what a bikes real capabilities are thanks to guys like that.
    1990 Kawasaki Tengai with a 96 KLR heart transplant.

It insane the level of some guys riding! Im sure it wouldnt be a lark to me if I had to take that bike through that ride lol. But its nice to see what a bikes real capabilities are thanks to guys like that.
    If I remember the Cycle Canada article correctly, it was a lark in the sense that it was acknowledged that the Varadaro was the wrong tool for the job but, hey, it's supposed to be an adventure bike so let's see what happens. The average joeblow wouldn't have got far.......

Quote Originally Posted by optionfa View Post
    This meens the bike needs to be able to handle fairly sketchy terrain, long hauls (large gas tank), and be reliable.
    Aside from the long hauls part (300km ish range), the 990 Adventure would fit the bill.

The Paris to Dacre.
    Oh please I've ridden it and there is more pavement on that ride then most other rides. The first check point is after almost 5 hours of all pavement or dirt roads... hardly a challenge. Tell him to ride Death Valley on the Algonquin ride or 16 Valleys on the RFS ride and I'll be impressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Andreas and frekeyguy,
    Both of you ride supersport bikes on the street, and neither of you do it very well.
    Their intended purpose was for racing, why don't you guys buy scooters, the handling ability of a vespa is still beyond anything either of you are going to need.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
    Oh please I've ridden it and there is more pavement on that ride then most other rides. The first check point is after almost 5 hours of all pavement or dirt roads... hardly a challenge. Tell him to ride Death Valley on the Algonquin ride or 16 Valleys on the RFS ride and I'll be impressed.
    I guess Im a wus then I thought it was pretty tough! Oh well. I guess your one of those enduro riders. My hat is indeed off to that type of dual sporting. That is hardcore stuff.

So is this still about the V strom and heavier bikes not being dual sports in your opinion? What bike would you suggest for the ride the OP has in mind?
    1990 Kawasaki Tengai with a 96 KLR heart transplant.

I have the BMW F800GS. I always get a laugh when people say the V-Strom is cheaper. BMW does have the reputation of being more expensive but a new F800GS is virtually the same price of an equally equipped new V-Strom.

The KLR will be almost half the cost. Is EFI really worth that much to your dad?

I don't think anyone can argue that the KLR is like a pack mule and will take you anywhere on a budget. I think it is the best entry level Dual Sport out there. If you want to tour in a bit more comfort and put some serous miles behind you on the slab, then I would go for the Beemer over the Strom just because it is great on the slab and better than the Strom offroad. The Rotax engine, although not as smooth as the Suzuki, is bullet proof.

I routinely ride it in the Ganny. Haven't seen any Stroms there yet.

Somewhere in West virginia

03 BMW R1100S Boxer Cup
    09 BMW F800GS

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
    Because a V-Strom is not a dual sport bike. It can't handle much beyond a gravel road. And I wouldn't go with KTM unless you are travelling with a fully stocked garage.

Agree to Disagree, if you know how to ride Vstroms they can handle it.

Seen it done at the Ontario Eastern Adventure rally.