which 600cc bike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which 600cc bike

which 600cc bike

hey all first timer here......
    I'm registered to take my course soon, anyways I want your opinion for a newbie... First off I've read several posts on first bikes.... ninja 250 etc etc
    all my friends who ride, ride 600cc bikes bikes honda/yamaha etc they all (more than 5) started on 600cc bikes first bikes and tell me don't go anything less all of them recommending a 2000-2004 CBR 600.
    my history just so you get an idea
    snowboarder- big air 10 yr history, mountain biker (extreme rocky trails/ski hills) skydiver for 7 yrs (on my own parachute)
    as you can see I am an adrenaline junkie but know the difference between calculated risk and stupidity. first parachute purchase seems similar to first bike choice as smaller chutes can kill/injure newbies due to speeds and decreased reaction times as powerful street bikes. But realistically I'm not getting a 250 as I would never recommend a new skydiver by a massive 200 square foot parachute (although extremely safe) they would outgrow it way too fast and get bored way too easily
    anyways to my point........... best 600cc bike to start with is.............? do you agree with the CBR as my friends say or whats your opinion

X ---- > I'm Not here, But I'm there ---> X

Re: which 600cc bike

lol,

Your going to get mixed reviews WHICH one is the best 600cc bike. I personally like the CBR and ZX6...but that's just how I feel on it.

as for 600cc for the first bike...

Enjoy...

Moderator Moderator lil red bird's Avatar

How old are you? It makes a difference in my answer.
    SV 650
    cbr 600 f4i
    Mental health who needs it?There is a reason you never see motorcycles infront of a therapists office.

Quote Originally Posted by lil red bird View Post
    How old are you? It makes a difference in my answer.
    SV 650
    cbr 600 f4i
    OP:
    Why don't you get some insurance quotes. That might narrow your selection a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    My neurosurgeon said "If I had 9 lives, I've used up 8"... when I showed up to one of my post accident follow up appointments on my new bike, he looked at it out the window and said "Remember, what I told you about your 9 lives? ... that'll use up the last one!"

39 yrs old price and insurance cost no factor

If you have a bunch of friends that ride why are you asking peoples here opinion? why not stick with your friends who actually know you?

As for which one....you probably wont notice the difference, especially as a beginner between the 4 so go with which one is the most comfortable for you and which one you like the looks of best.

If you know you want a 600cc do it, you will not be happy with a bike you bought only because people say its a good begginer machine and not what you really wanted.

I started on a 650 because the internet told me SS bikes will get me killed, snowboarding, skydiving or anything like that has nothing to do with how well you will handle a super sport.

Get an older SS bike like the honda F4is, make sure it's something you wont feel to bad about dropping because chances are you will drop it in your driveway or on a stoplight. Just go look at a bunch of bikes and pick up the best deal.
    former: 2006 sv650s (sold)
    current: 2009 r6

"You need to stop suckin back the ballserade, to much salt can be toxic."

im asking others for as many opinions as possible as i understand calculated risks and slow progression with mid level stuff and want to be educated to eliminiate bias

The CBR would be a nice start -- are you saying -- First bike ever? do you have ANY riding experience? ----
    If you dont have any -- maybe get the CBR and have a bike shop limit the throttle to 60% --- maybe for the first month ---

only passenger experience and dirt bike rode 1 day, so it sounds like a cbr is the best model for a 600cc ? Id like to know if anyone recommends other than cbr and if ya could tell me why honda over say kawasawki or suzuki or yamaha 600 class

cbr 600rr

lightest n best all round in my opinion!

CBR rules

I would say 07-08 cbr 600rr more comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudjumpin View Post
    39 yrs old price and insurance cost no factor
    I think i would trust an 18 year old more than a 35++ yr old newbie on a 600.

Food for thought most guys being pulled out of ditches up north on the weekends are the 35-49 range.......

Start small you'll learn faster.

Go big or go home doesn't apply to sport bikes unless you are riding from one timmies to another.

It's all about you. All 4 bikes (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki) are great bikes. If you're all set at 600, then why not go and test drive them and see which one feels better? Personally, I like GSXR 600 and ZX6R. And don't forget Triumph 675 =)

I'm a professional racer.

what skydive location can I go to where I can pack my own chute and do low level, solo night jump my first time out?

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    I'm a professional racer.

what skydive location can I go to where I can pack my own chute and do low level, solo night jump my first time out?

Bah, chutes are over-rated.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    I'm a professional sammich eater/racer.

fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudjumpin View Post
    only passenger experience and dirt bike rode 1 day, so it sounds like a cbr is the best model for a 600cc ? Id like to know if anyone recommends other than cbr and if ya could tell me why honda over say kawasawki or suzuki or yamaha 600 class

there is no reason for one over the other.. it comes down to what you think you'll look cool riding (no offence.. but if all your friends keep telling you to start on nothing smaller than a 600, im pretty sure looking 'cool' on your ride is an important factor to you).

All the 600's perform within 95% of each other, and odds are you'll not exploit even 50% of its abilities. They are all more or less reliable, all have their own minor issues, but they few and far between.

you said CBR 00-04, not sure why, that over laps a couple of models, so again, i question what your friends are telling you

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    I think i would trust an 18 year old more than a 35++ yr old newbie on a 600.

Food for thought most guys being pulled out of ditches up north on the weekends are the 35-49 range.......

Start small you'll learn faster.

Go big or go home doesn't apply to sport bikes unless you are riding from one timmies to another.

lol...

Each manufacturer has there strengths and weaknesses. You're set on a 600 SS so, that narrows is down some.

Then I would consider ergos. Best thing to do is sit on a few and see which one fits best. How does the switch gear and gauges look and feel to you? Might seem minor but, those small things can make a difference.

Now, if you really want to make an impression with your friends, I'd look into something a little different. Triump's 675 Daytona is a sweet ride or maybe go Italian. The sounds are intoxicating.

Some very skilled and experience riders can tell you how they can manage very well with other larger displacement bikes on some hell rides. I'd have to agree with this. I learned on dirt bikes, 80, 125 and 250's. My first street bike was Ninja 600 after years of trail riding. The most significant risk you'll encounter is just feeling confident riding a 600 as it appears so easy to do. That is until you run into a situation that requires experience and skill. (like entering a sweeper with too much speed and wonder why the bike doesn't respond to your steering input or abruptly grab the front brake) The road is not a race track (no room to slide) and the bike isn't video game with instant life.

Sorry for the preaching man. But there is nothing wrong with starting out smaller than your friends. They should be supportive. Much in the same way as I don't expect to start snowboarding down the expert slopes of whistler just because I live next to the mountain and all my friends do. I'll develop my skills first on the beginner hill.

Cheers and good luck. Again, sorry for preaching. Do what you like. I understnd you're just looking for input on the differences on the bike your interested in.