ZX7R/9R engine swap gurus?

Thread: ZX7R/9R engine swap gurus?

ZX7R/9R engine swap gurus?

Ive seen the info posted a few times, and was hoping someone can tell me what year 9R motor fits into a 96 ZX7R?

Reason being I have a customer that brought in a motorless ZX7R with a 9R motor in a box of parts, that he swears would bolt right in. I got the motor in the frame and 3 out of 4 motor mounts are off. 2 rear ones being way off, like 1-2" ! Call the guy and explain that its got to be the wrong motor for his particular swap, and he still swears its supposed to bolt right in...LOL

So does anyone know what year 9R motor fits in the 96 ZX7R? And is there any way to tell what year 9R motor I actually have, from the # on the motor or specific markings or unique parts?

Thanks for any info

Re: ZX7R/9R engine swap gurus?

I think only a 94-97 which is a zx900b motor, i think you will need mount relocators as noted in the below link.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/webzxr/...s/skydork.html

Take the valve cover off. If it has a little finger-follower rocker arm underneath each cam lobe, it is a B-model ZX9R engine, which is supposed to work with that swap as per the page linked above. If it's direct acting buckets, it's the wrong engine.

Also, the B-model has the alternator behind the cylinder block, and the C-model has it on the end of the crank.
    Last edited by Brian P; 06-25-2010 at 12:48 PM.

The ZX9-B motor should mount directly into the 93-95 7R.

The ZX9-B motor will mount into a 96+ 7R with the BRG Racing mount kit and oil cooler line relocator.

Only the 9B motor will work.

Thanks guys its a 9B motor and 96+ frame so he needs the BRG mounting kit, customer was given bad info and thought it would bolt right in....At this point he said just dig a hole and bury the whole pile...LOL

Anyone looking for a 96 ZX7R parts bike?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Thanks guys its a 9B motor and 96+ frame so he needs the BRG mounting kit, customer was given bad info and thought it would bolt right in....At this point he said just dig a hole and bury the whole pile...LOL

The kit is like $200 IIRC.

If he wants to bury it, bury it in my garage..

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post

How cheap?

Im interested. How much is he looking for? He can keep the engine.
    2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR250 - sold
    1994 Kawasaki Ninja ZX600
    1997 Kawasaki Ninja ZX7R
    1998 Kawasaki Ninja ZX7R
    1996 Kawasaki Ninja ZX7R

How are the plastics on it??

Wow! Look at all the vultures swooping in!

Oh btw, how much for the engine?
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

Does not bolt in but you can grind and drill it in for free!!

ZX9B (94-97) Motor fits in all ZX7'S 91+

A little how to for the next person.

Mount the motor with the rear lower mount and support with a jack so you can jack it up and swing it into position. Jack the motor up and see where the oil line from the head hits the left front motor mount. Use a grinder or dremel or file or something and grind away the bottom of the mount till you can swing the motor up and install the rear upper mount bolt. Screw in both rear adjusters don't tighten the nuts and bolts leave them loose.

Now look through the front adjusters you will now see what you need to drill out to install the front bolts. Use a 1/2 inch drill bit and use the adjuster as a guide. Drill only enough to allow the bolt to pass through.

Now you need to use a dremel to clearance the head so the nut will be able to screw onto the motor mount bolt.

Center the engine in the frame as per service manual and you are ready to go!

P.S

Bottom oil cooler line to rad.
    Top oil cooler line to nipple right above oil cooler.
    Plug any other ZX7 Related left over nipples
    install a ZX9B coolant over flow bottle!
    ZX7 Carbs bolt on
    ZX7 wiring harness is the same
    possible to swap out CDI from zx9 into zx7 harness
    ZX7 CDI 1000 RPM HIGHER RED LINE!!!

Cheers!
    "Bikes are an addiction for which there's no rehab