is it legal to filter to traffic - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: is it legal to filter to traffic

Re: is it legal to filter to traffic

One thing that definitely stops me from trying to filter is this.

I would bet a week's salary that when you get to the red light and are waiting, some guy in his car will get angrier and angrier as you sit there and take a swipe at you when the light turns green. Out in Milton I'd bet a month's salary. A lot of angry parents out there.

Banned

Talking Re: is it legal to filter to traffic

Quote Originally Posted by pm127 View Post
    One thing that definitely stops me from trying to filter is this.

I would bet a week's salary that when you get to the red light and are waiting, some guy in his car will get angrier and angrier as you sit there and take a swipe at you when the light turns green. Out in Milton I'd bet a month's salary. A lot of angry parents out there.
    I would definitely agree with you on that one. Often a cop is likely to cite as a safety concern, the temperament of drivers around you as an excuse to use the safety clause against you...."son I'm issuing you this ticket for your own good...these cars are crazy (not that I'll try to stop them because there is just so darn many of them that I can't be bothered), so I'm penalizing you little biker".

As much as I dissagree with the cop's rationale in situations like these I do have to acknowledge the attitude of others I share the road with and in the burbs filtering is something I stay away from, despite longer jams, wider lanes, and more predictable traffic lights. Both the drivers and cops west of, well pretty much the 427 have little patience for filtering bikes, and not much more understanding. Every now and then I push my luck though.

Down in the city is a different matter all together. A lot of times at the font of lights friendly smiles or indifferent forward gazes are the norm. Even if I'm in a right lane all to my self, at the front I move well over to the left to let cars making a right turn by. A lot are shy and cant gauge the proportions of their car very well, peering over the wheel guessing at how long their hood really is, so I wave them past like a parking usher.

It's all about higher density and sharing downtown. Milton perhaps is more about pick-up trucks and the belief in one's entitlement to a huge plot (home and road).

One moves out to Milton for space....so the common culture dictates bikers stay well away from car mirrors!

But that 401 jam past the 403 all the way out to Milton is so so so so so tempting isn't it?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by saichaitanya88 View Post
    oops... The thread should read: Is it legal to filter through traffic?

hey everyone, one thing that I'm trying to figure out is whether if it's safe/legal to filter through traffic. (in between cars). I know it's illegal when you're doing this in moving traffic, but is it still legal when you're at an intersection and you want to get ahead?

I hope i'm asking this question correctly :\

Thanks!
    Its not legal here.....but it should be.....you get all these a-wipes driving in the left lane....and just holding up and causing traffic....

KEEP RIGHT - EXCEPT TO PASS

I got yelled at by some a-hole in a truck because I pulled up to the red light, there werent even that many car ahead of me. I had to listen to the guy until the light turned green. He was telling at me how I make other bikers look bad. Not everyone buys a bike for the image.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by _eug_ View Post
    I got yelled at by some a-hole in a truck because I pulled up to the red light, there werent even that many car ahead of me. I had to listen to the guy until the light turned green. He was telling at me how I make other bikers look bad. Not everyone buys a bike for the image.
    If you give them a happy wave with ur clutch hand as you drive away it tears them up inside worse than any offencive gesture or rebuttal you can manage.

But that response is all too common from cagers. Or you could ask them to read through the HTA themselves and find where it is illegal. Either way there isn't much you can do to calm them down. The more they see it, the more they will accept it though...just like down town.