Pilot 2CT or Diablo Corsa 3 - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pilot 2CT or Diablo Corsa 3

Re: Pilot 2CT or Diablo Corsa 3

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    ya - having only 10% on either side = waste/marketing ploy / lip service / whatever.

BT-016's are only double compund (ON THE FRONT) BTW.

FWIW British thread.

The OE version of the Battlax BT016 only has a two compound rear tyre and a single compund front tyre...as opposed to the triple compund rear..(5 layer) and double compound front found on the aftermarket version...

The cheaper OE version has not been given as good reviews as a result...

The way to find out which version you have is to look the tyre side wall...

The OE version will have an additional letter on the markings....normally a "G" but varies depending on type..

THe proper 3 compund tyre will not have the additional letter..

Back OE Tyre.....will say....Battlax Bt-016R Radial (letter)

Front OE Tyre .................Battlax BT-016 Radial F (letter)

ya - having only 10% on either side = waste/marketing ploy / lip service / whatever.

BT-016's are only double compund (ON THE FRONT) BTW.
    ..and triple on the rear, I believe.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

Based on what I've read, the band of soft compound widens as the tire wears - to what extent, Im not sure.

http://www.motorcycle.com/products/m...2ct-12882.html

According to Michelin, as the 2CT wears, "the proportion of softer rubber on the shoulder tread band widens" thereby maintaining longevity.
    Last edited by mma01; 06-24-2010 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mma01 View Post
    Based on what I've read, the band of soft compound widens as the tire wears - to what extent, Im not sure.

http://www.motorcycle.com/products/m...2ct-12882.html

According to Michelin, as the 2CT wears, "the proportion of softer rubber on the shoulder tread band widens" thereby maintaining longevity.

In the case of the front tire, the softer compound doesn't wear, cause it never touches the ground.

In the case of the front tire, the softer compound doesn't wear, cause it never touches the ground.
    I think the point is that if you are getting close to 10% mark, you wear away the harder compound and start to expose the soft compound.

But yes, point taken that most will not make use of the soft compound....

I ride my bike at the track with the same tires I ride on the street... I have torn up little rubber balls where the Michelin man used to be. It gets used plenty.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOnion View Post
    I ride my bike at the track with the same tires I ride on the street... I have torn up little rubber balls where the Michelin man used to be. It gets used plenty.
    We're talking about front's here!

that's right.. I don't think I could get to the edge of the back without using the edge of the front... I guess the balling isn't as bad but it's clear that I've gotten on that part of the tire and heated it up
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

that's right.. I don't think I could get to the edge of the back without using the edge of the front.
    And what we are trying to say is that that 10% is lost/wasted on most riders....

You may very well be getting your moneys worth, but you must be able to see how most others aren't?

I don't think I could get to the edge of the back without using the edge of the front... I guess the balling isn't as bad but it's clear that I've gotten on that part of the tire and heated it up

usually, you can easily get to the edge of the rear without getting to the edge of the front!

usually, you can easily get to the edge of the rear without getting to the edge of the front!
    Yup c my pics. My rears were at the edge long before my fronts got close. Even now there's just light scuffing on the extreme edges of the fronts. The major wear/rippling is just a little before the edge. At the track I could see the front being used right to the edge, but on the street you'd definitely be pushing your luck IMO.

I definitely don't have the balls to get anywhere close to the edge on the street, I fully agree... these tires are meant specifically for the track day enthusiast, and there is no way you could think there is reason to buy them if you are not riding track. If I had another set of wheels I would get DOT's for the track and Pilot Road 2's or something like that probably.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

Banned

Bought Corsa IIIs from Riders Choice for 299, just a heads up for people still having their tires shipped to them thinking they're getting a good deal

In body: Hamilton... In spirit, Switzerland!

Well, I dunno. I agree and disagree.

I had Pilot Power 2CTS on my R6 for 2 seasons and I had the michelin men worn out doing only street riding.. They are the only tire I've had that the front chicken strip almost matches the rear chicken strip, due to the profile of the front tire being so triangular, compared to Dunlops or Pirelli/Bridgestones and their flatter profiles.

I remember my front chicken strip being about 1 cm... and now bought a set of regular Pilot Powers for my Fireblade because I figuerd I'd never touch the front 1cm ...

Now, as it stands, I have about 1-2 mm rear chicken strip and about 3mm or so on the front tire.. (running 32psi front and 35 psi rear)

My buddy has a Gixxer 1000 (K7) and had loved his first two front nad rear BT016 (OEM compound and then the triple on the bought one) and LOVED them...

He bought now two sets of Pirelli Diablo Corsa IIIs for $400 because a guy with a 1000 crashed and had them in his garage for a season.. he HATES them with all his heart, especially the front tire.

He has no confidence in them after his front slid and bucked his foot off the footpeg.. and I know he's no slouch of a rider. So.. I feel kinda bad for telling him to try them out (I had a set of regular Diablos and never had problems, wearing out the pitchfork logos on the edge)

Going back to your comment.. I think anyone can hit the edge of a rear tire safely on the street without going totally bonzai, provided it's on an onramp or so.. but in regular twisties.. I don't even attempt this as there are way more danger factors involved
    "Izz dangerous..... Izz dangerous not only you... but... all deh fackeen idiot who ride deh car" - Rossi, FASTER

Banned

edit, nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    Those are both old and busted. The new hotness are the Michelin Power Pure or the Pirelli Diablo ... Rosso, I think?
    I don't think they are busted at all man.. I am running PPowers made in 08/09 and they are just as good as the 2CT I had on my bike....

Depending on the road surface, ANY tire will spin/slide if the asphalt has been worn smooth from cars accellerating up a hill or wahtever.
    "Izz dangerous..... Izz dangerous not only you... but... all deh fackeen idiot who ride deh car" - Rossi, FASTER

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    I don't think they are busted at all man.. I am running PPowers made in 08/09 and they are just as good as the 2CT I had on my bike....

Depending on the road surface, ANY tire will spin/slide if the asphalt has been worn smooth from cars accellerating up a hill or wahtever.
    Speaking of which, this is season two on my Pilot Road 2's and I don't remember them being this slippery last year ... well, the rear anyway, I haven't washed out the front or anything.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    Speaking of which, this is season two on my Pilot Road 2's and I don't remember them being this slippery last year ... well, the rear anyway, I haven't washed out the front or anything.
    Pilot Road 2s are awesome tires from what I've read over on the 1000rr.net forum.. lotsa guys run them with a PPower front or 2CT front...

Prefer the Pilot's myself.