Random riding at night! Meet near Midland & McNicoll, Scarborough

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Random riding at night! Meet near Midland & McNicoll, Scarborough

Random riding at night! Meet near Midland & McNicoll, Scarborough

Great rides, good weather, new bike, next summer!

Feel free to use this thread for posting up your random riding plans, PM cell numbers, etc. for the remainder of the season. Stay tuned for 2011 random rides!

Background

First of all, I don't want to steal from NewfieBoy's night riders, so please check out his thread too! I may in fact substitute in that ride instead of this one regularly.

I am looking for preferably a small group of riders who like to ride to random places at night. What does a random ride look like? Well it could be completely ad hoc with an intermediate stop at a Tim's to decide, or it could be randomly planned (suggestions are welcome, please post). Here's some rides I've done:

• Port Perry
    • Hockley (via Leslie/Hwy 9, back through downtown Toronto)
    • Canal Rd., then down Yonge to Sheppard
    • Port Hope Backroads
    • Guelph (via Hwy 7, back via 6/401)
    • My Musselman Lake, Old Finch, Twyn Rivers circuit (could be a default run)
    • Around City of Toronto (though not as thrilling as middle of nowhere!)

It would be pretty cool if riders from other areas want to chill since I often see them at the destination.

Details

Where: Starbucks Midland & McNicoll (3740 Midland Ave, west side of Midland, north of McNicoll, south of Passmore, first stoplight where Rona is)
    When: check radar, sky, ride status at top; if good then we meet/depart by 9pm (could vary, e.g. earlier on non-work days like Sat/Sun/holidays); duration 2-5 hrs (shorter on weeknights, longer on weekends--i.e. Fri/Sat/day before holidays)
    Pace: easy/slow, no rush/not a race (see "The Pace Principles"); we will reasonably follow the speed limit or traffic flow, stop signs and lights, the Highway Traffic Act*
    Prerequisites: The thread "HOW TO RIDE IN A GROUP", M2 or M (will not be enforced by me, but bear in mind this is a night ride), full tank (longer rides have been averaging 200+ km round trip; let me know and we'll try to stop before you run out!), empty bladder

* I want this to be a safe ride, since it's already dangerous enough with no lights on some of these roads; this means twisties may be taken slowly if unfamiliar/blind curve--pay attention and keep a safe distance! Noobs are welcome, but be warned this might not be the safest time to be practicing riding. It will be more important for each rider to ensure we're not losing the rider behind due to limited visibility of signals at night. Be aware of the increased risks and ride your own ride, at your own risk!

Note: as this could potentially be as frequent as a nightly ride, it only makes sense to confirm that it will in fact be happening each night. I will post this confirmation by 3pm. I think it would be best if you also post your interest and not just show up to the ride; if no post then I might assume no interest and then go solo. Also, try to let me know beforehand if you plan to ditch mid-ride so we know everyone's safe.
    Last edited by rfid; 09-07-2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: </ride>

Re: Random riding at night! Meet near Midland & McNicoll, Scarborough

Too bad my night rides takes place after mid-night as I work till 00:00 (midnight).
    Ride:
    2010 Suzuki SV650SA White (Current)
    2009 Ninja 250r Black (2009 - 2010)
    License:
    GM (2010-07-07)

Nice. This meeting spot is literally right behind my house, I can be there in less than a min.
    Where we riding for this first meet? Preferably not the Twyn Rivers please cause its played out now. LOL!

Also, is this mostly riding or just going from coffee shop to coffee shop to "pose"? If its riding only, then it sounds like my kindda meet.
    Last edited by Sagittarius30; 06-21-2010 at 10:54 AM.

I am in for these rides to, need to get out at night, to busy right after work.
    Last edited by Shelly; 06-21-2010 at 01:55 PM. Reason: rmk

Nice, you posted your riding resume.

I'm close to there and can ride whenever.

I'm in for that. If you guys can wait 10 minutes or so.
    I get off work 830pm tonight so not sure if I can make the meet spot in 30m.

Route wise, I'm more familiar with the west side.
    For short rides there's Side Road 15 anf for longer - Ridge Rd., King Rd., 20 Mile Rd. area.

Pesonally, I'd rather get out of the city then do any downtown rides.
    Last edited by DemonPig; 06-21-2010 at 03:47 PM.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

I intend for this to be mostly riding and minimal posing, if any. Coffee shop/stops will only be for a short break to fill up or empty out, to take in scenery, or to find out where to head next.

I'm in, ill probably get there around 915 though, a number where I can reach you at?

I might pass by and see where you guys are headed

hey RFID,

I get off at 9pm tonight. I should be there around 9:30 or so...

-Max
    Last edited by max_p; 06-21-2010 at 08:47 PM.

It was finally good to put faces to names. Sorry had to break off so early. Currently sitting in the First Markham Place parking lot stealing wifi on my iPod touch to post while waiting for the GF. :P

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Hey Rfid,

Sorry to leave you guys so early, at the shell station my clutch was acting up, made me stall the bike a couple times. So when we got back on the road a bit I turned my clutch play adjuster and my cable snapped! I was like WTF!?!?! So when I coasted by you guys and made that right on 48 it's because I literally could not stop or the bike would stall. I made it all the way home in third gear without stopping, phew. Needless to say I blew quite a few stop signs and lights, thank god it was at night and north of the city.

Anyhow it was nice meeting everyone tonight and hope you enjoyed the rest of the ride.

Andre

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Fokker View Post
    I made it all the way home in third gear without stopping, phew.
    Now that's skill.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Blackdragon; 06-22-2010 at 02:43 AM.

Is this going to be a weekly thing?

This ride can be up to nightly, but probably less often than that due to weather, other commitments, etc.

Col_Fokker, that's alright man, just glad to hear you made it home.

Nice seeing everyone with the huge turnout; thanks for coming! Hope everyone enjoyed the ride and made it home safe. In particular, I hope you were able to take in the view of the Toronto skyline incl. CN Tower and the city lights in general while riding down Ninth Line and Hwy 48 (looking SW, while staying focused and safe, of course!)

Let me know if you have any comments about the route (incl. distance/duration), pace, length between stops, meet spot/time (reasonably waiting for anyone who posts in the thread?), or anything else.

Is the ride still on today
    Last edited by elton_t; 06-22-2010 at 12:12 PM.

No ride today due to rain.

no rain tonight though at 9

Sorry guys, I realize the weather ended up being not so bad the past few days, but have been busy with other tasks.

I'm thinking of holding a longer ride on Friday. Please check back Friday by 3pm for status.

I'll probably join in this ride although I'm not too familliar with other twisties outside of the city..=\

I live at passmore/midland..haha