Taking off from a stopped position - help meeeeee - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking off from a stopped position - help meeeeee

Re: Taking off from a stopped position - help meeeeee

Quote Originally Posted by skitta View Post
    Hi!

I'm a new rider also. And, I'm having a terrible time with stopping and starting. It has become very discouraging, and I'm even questioning whether riding is for me. I realize that it's just a matter of practicing, and time. I'm fine in a parking lot (mostly). But, it's out on the road, with cars behind me. I think I just kinda panic at the very *thought* of stalling. My own worst enemy, I'm afraid.

I went for a ride yesterday, and I'm pretty sure I've really messed up my bike! I honestly can't even tell what the heck I was doing. All I know is my motorcycle feels and sounds different, to me. I have a 2007 Honda CBR125r. I was reading on another forum that the gears tend to "slip", or something to that effect. I'll have to read it again.

Anyway, to my fellow newbies, hang in there!
    I haven't heard anything about gears slipping but Brian P could probably answer any questions you have about the CBR125R.

I ride a CBR125R too. Don't worry about stalling. Remain calm, start the bike again, and proceed.

Most new riders have the tendency to hit the friction zone bike starts to move then they just let go of the lever and stall.

The throttle needs to roll on progressively as the clutch is released progressively.

Even if the engine revs a little too much as long as the clutch is released progressively and not dumped out the bike will move off without a wheelie.

Best way to practice is in an empty lot. 1st gear, take off and get feet on the pegs. Stop and do it again over and over until you can do it instinctively.

2008 Triumph Bonneville T100
    2009 Harley Ultra Classic
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

[QUOTE=dardania;1316258]practice and do not worry who is behinde you ..dont bother thinking oh gosh i made them wait fo rme who cares take all the time u need its better then hurry to go and then stall just ignore the fact theres a car ehine you waiting for u to get going ...it wont take to long when u look back and it will all be a joke[/QUOTE This is great advice, don't think about the guy behind you, they will be looking out for you. If you stall ,start it up again and try again. It's the only way to learn. We all start at the beginning. Before too long it'll be easy.

what i find worked for me, is rather then releasing the clutch and then giving it gas when it hit the friction point, i gave it a tiny bit of gas, and then released the clutch. With the exception of getting the hang of starting from a stop on an hill, i've not stalled since my first day on riding.

One big key is stop being worried about the people behind you and pay attention to how your bike is reacting. Stop worrying about what they "might" be thinking or them rolling you over.

Friction zone is the answer here and I will second that instructors advise. Stop looking at your hands and "feel" that zone, be one with the zone lol all that jedi stuff lol

Dont give up and learn this be heart. Everyone can do this, it's just a question of feeling where it is.
    The artist formely known as Frenchfry

Remember to relax and give yourself a chance.
    Last edited by mototours; 02-22-2011 at 12:04 AM.

One more thing,

when practising slow speed turns, AVOID USING THE FRONT BRAKE!

my two cents!

Gah I actually had to consciously think about what I do this morning. Basically you will be doing three things all at once. You will be releasing the breaks, letting out the clutch and rolling on the throttle. It all needs to be smooth.

If this is really giving you trouble go to a parking lot, don't touch the throttle and just let the clutch out slowly to where you feel it start to grab. Do this a bunch of times until you are comfortable with where this is and what it feels like. Don't look at your hands, just feel it. This is the friction zone people are talking about. After you figured out where it is and know what it feels like let the clutch out until you hit that and then start rolling on the throttle and letting out more clutch and you add more throttle and away you go. Be smooth and easy. Nothing jerky or abrupt.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

I say Practice as well.

If you drive a car that is stick (I have all my life) understanding and feeling that friction point is a little bit easier.

Hell, there are times i'm half out of it and stall my bike when taking off. It Happens. Don't worry about the cars behind you, they can't go anywhere till you move anyways. Even if it takes you 3 tries to get moving, don't let it bother you.

Chances are you will never see these people ever again in your life. So if you stall, oh well. Start the bike back up and give it another go.

Quote Originally Posted by evang View Post
    what i find worked for me, is rather then releasing the clutch and then giving it gas when it hit the friction point, i gave it a tiny bit of gas, and then released the clutch.
    exactly,
    i do the same thing ... open the throttle a little bit then start releasing the clutch...or do it simultaniously, you will take off with more power as well...careful not to give it too much gas and not to release the clutch suddenly or the bike will jump out of control...

take it easy.

and it will come to you over time

Heres what i suggest (since youve already proven you can ride in traffic without dying). Take your bike, saturday morning around 11 or 12, and start at yonge and steeles, and ride south until you hit lakeshore. Pull a u-turn. Ride back up. If its not 4pm yet, do it again I guarantee you, you will be a master of using the clutch after that. This is how i learned to drive stick when i was about 19. I was also really worried about stalling and i did stall out in the middle of intersections a couple of times. It was embarassing but i survived.

I recommend yonge because on saturdays, its jam packed. The traffic speed is slow and worst case scenario, someone hits you, its a minor fender bender and you dont get really hurt. And you get a lot more practice using the clutch than you would driving down a country highway or even out in the burbs cruising around on a saturday.