Sheridan College M1 Exit Course - REVIEW

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheridan College M1 Exit Course - REVIEW

Sheridan College M1 Exit Course - REVIEW

Hi,

I might as well help people out thinking of going to Sheridan Oakville. This class is designed to get your M2 over the course of a weekend.

I just did the in class portion and will be doing the riding this weekend.

Basically, I am very disappointed so far with the class:

-The class room was crammed. Most people sitting right beside each other crammed in. There was about 40 people in the whole lecture hall. He kept telling people not to sit in the front, but this caused us all to get crammed in. Oh by the way all the instructors speak fluent Canadian English.

-The class went from 6pm to 10:15pm with only a 10 MIN BREAK!! Many had friends and SO's waiting for them outside showing up at 9:30pm or so having to wait. Like who keeps people till the VERY END?? We obviously expected to get let out at least 15 min early.

-The class time began and I kid you not, the first hour of the 4 hour class consisted of FILLING OUT PAPER WORK! He put on the slides and pretty much made us do work which I feel should have been done by them off of class time. It was a complete waste. We were all sitting their doing their job it seemed like. A complete waste of class time.

-We then took a 10 min break at 7:15PM and from then on, we were stuck in our seats for 3 HOURS straight! He showed more useless videos. They had 2 instructors going over the paper work at the front of the class and then writing names on the board for people who did not correct their paper work correctly.

-At around 8pm he seemed to get into actual content. It was poor. They showed scare stats that were out dated from Saskatchewan and the US. He pretty much covered the dreaded left turn intersection and that was all. He really didn't get into offensive maneuvers that I wanted to hear. He didn't get into head on collisions on country roads. IF YOU NEED REAL DEFENSIVE SAFETY METHODS, YOU WILL NOT FIND IT HERE (In my opinion of course). I was actually surprised how poor this portion of the course was. I had to even ask about a specific head on collision scenario after class and how to treat it. He couldn't answer my properly. Your best bet, if you have questions, is to ask HERE on the forum experienced riders who 'know the ropes' of how to handle an intersection/head on collisions. I was seriously amazed at the lack of good info at the course.

-Several videos later, (that were NOT helpful at all.. literally commercials for why it's good to ride a bike) he then at 9:45pm STARTS to get into what we will need for Saturdays riding lesson. People were getting very restless at this point. We were supposed to leave at this point as we did NOT get our second break. And here he is just BEGINNING to get into the slides for what we need. Anyhow, he shows a bunch of scare pictures and talks about helmets and gear. Talking about things that are not important. Being long winded, etc. He said if your helmet drops from your bike seat onto the ground, you have to buy a new one.... you be the judge of that.

-He then tells us that we are NOT ALLOWED TO WEAR BEANIE HELMETS! GREAT! Several people including myself sigh and get P*SSED OFF. I'm EXTRA ticked off because I CALLED the school SPECIFICALLY to make sure it was OK and the lady was very confrontational, rude, and told me to see the website. Every single person I spoke to told me the helmet had to be DOT approved for any of the courses. So my DOT approved helmet that I bought specifically for this course with cool slide down visor CANNOT be used! GREAT! Despite us going only 35km/h. We are allowed to wear garden gloves and jeans, but NOT a DOT approved helmet because it doesn't cover my EARS???? I think they forget who is paying for this course.

-The actual day is pretty much from 7:45am to 6pm. The problem with this, is that if they want us to ride alert, why are they making half the class attend on 4-5 hours of sleep (half the class looked to be unemployed and they usually sleep around 2am). It's no wonder people fall off the bikes at these classes. Then get this. There is a 90 MIN LUNCH! So.. we have to be there for 7:45AM yet there is a 90 MIN LUNCH? Their priorities are little messed up sorry.

-Many of us will get there at 7:30AM so we can choose the bike we want. The problem with the bike selection is that there are little cruisers and dirt bikes. I don't know which one to pick. I'm 220Lbs.

-Another big thing, when he made us fill out all the paper work, one of the questions was if you have ever ridden a motorcycle before. MANY answered yes on their sheets. The instructor then says he's going to put them in a SPECIAL group. Great. That is really the 'you pass' group. However us inexperienced riders are obviously going to get treated different and scrutinized more as we're in the kindergarten group.

I'll continue the review of the actual day when riding. I'm really hoping I can actually learn to ride somewhat during this course. So far, I would NOT recommend Sheridan's riding course. Remember, you guys are the customer paying for your course. Spend your money wisely. Do you want to pay to push someone else around on a bike? (yes they really are going to make us push around other people on bikes tiring us out on 4-5 hours sleep running back and forth in 38C weather this weekend. Then the instructor wonders why everyone is so fatigued and falls off their bikes).

I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Re: Sheridan College M1 Exit Course - REVIEW

Wow, that's horrible! It's supposed to be fun, but sounds more like boot camp!

Totally opposite from my experience at Learning Curves. There was a girl taking this course with me who had been at the Niagara College one, and the stories she had about that one were pretty bad also.

100% I would recommend Learning Curves.

The class section went from 6:30 - 9, with a 15 min break. It was FUN, and we all were laughing and the instructors were awesome. There were only 14 or so people in the class, and there was almost 1 instructor for every 2 people. They made it a good time.

The riding section was from 8:30 - 4, but most showed up at 8:15. The bikes were all Honda CBR 125s, very easy to learn on. No one was discriminated because they had/hadn't rode before. They were very organized and very informed. Made us all feel comfortable. Plenty of time to practice the test course before the actual test...which is why I may have gotten 100% (sorry, had to throw that in, lol).

I'm sorry you can't back out, but for anyone else who reads this, please please go to Learning Curves! You'll have a great time.

I'n sorry that you didn't have a good time, because the course is suppose to be damn fun. But you are judging based on the most boring day out of the 3 (when you aren't on the bike), and it will for sure get better from here on in. I'm sorry to hear about the helmet not working out - and if you explain your situation to them, they might understand. I hope that works out and you don't have to get another helmet.

However,

1. I don't understand how you can be angry that they kept you in until the very end. Actually I could see how you might be a bit disappointed that you didn't get to leave early, but I can't see how that can be a criticism for them. I'm pretty sure that's what a scheduled time slot means - you are expected to begin and end at those times.

2. How are they going to teach you defensive driving techniques like dodging a oncoming car if you are sitting in a classroom? They will show you those emergency techniques like emerg. braking and swerving when you are actually on the motorcycle.

3. Being there for 7:45. Seriously? No one is making you sleep 4-5 hours. It's as easy as *not* sleeping at 2am.

4. I'm pretty sure the purpose of splitting into two groups is not to discriminate against inexperienced riders. I'm sure both groups will get more out of it if the teaching is catered to their level. Or else some other angry classmate is going to post a review tomorrow saying they hated the course because they spent an hour teaching people stuff they already knew.

But honestly, you've made several threads on this forum and they have all been pretty damn negative. I can't help but say lighten up bud - you'll enjoy life more.
    Last edited by wings; 06-18-2010 at 12:48 PM.

^^^

Looool!!! ouch!!

I actually was about to apply for the course at sheridan but now I think i'll go sign up with learning curves :\ only thing is, i wish learning curves had a location in Mississauga
    "Who said we need woman? A bike is all you really need" ---- ahahahah sooo true

2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

seems pretty much the same as the course I took in Centennial but I don't see what's so bad about it..

We were let go 10-15mins late too and we only got one break.. and yea it was mostly to do with paperworks however I didn't 'expect' any breaks anyway and all the time spent on teaching you how to fill in your paperworks go towards your own benefit (your M2 and apparently if you put down any wrong information the paperwork is pretty much useless).

And as for the two seperate groups.. would you want to be in same group with the experienced riders to be honest? instructors could be going through things really fast because they'd expect the group to pick things up quickly and therefore you'll suffer for not being able to have enough time to practice or whatsoever

Sucks to hear about the helmet part though... I agree with you on the part where they shouldn't say it's okay and then tell you it's not at the spot.. : (
    Last edited by bbjaijai; 06-18-2010 at 12:51 PM.

I totally agree with what Wings said. Just my thoughts...

1. First off, if they kept them in class until 9:15, the guy would probably complain that he wasn't getting his monies worth... you can't please everyone.

2. I did my course at Centennial... the defensive riding techniques were taught on the bikes - you can't do that from watching a video. We did watch a video beforehand, but all the teaching was practical.

3. 7:45 am is nothing. I'm not a morning person, but if this is something that you really want to do, then it shouldn't be an issue... and I believe the reason they give you 90 min for lunch is so you have some time to rest and eat properly, so you'll be ready for the afternoon session... just makes sense to me.

4. At Centennial they asked us to rate our riding experience, and then put us into groups in alphabetical order - that way the groups and experience were mixed. It took me a bit longer than others to get the hang of things, but the instructors helped me out - I didn't feel like I was being singled out or holding anyone back...

...And like Wings said, maybe you just need to lighten up... if you go into the actual riding with such a bad attitude, you'll only notice the negative things and probably not have as much fun as you could be having. All the things you complained about are superficial... maybe you just have to suck it up - it's only one weekend...

For those who have half-shell helmets that are attending the Sheridan course you need not worry about buying another helmet. They have helmets there that you can use for the duration of the weekend....

Holy crap I have never heard such a negative person in my life.

I am a senior instructor at another college and also teach at Sheridan.

Crush here is the scoop.

1. This program is designed by the Canada Safety Council. All the colleges teach the same curriculum. The Thursday night portion is required. I am sorry you did not take anything out of the nights class but there were some key points made that are important. The paperwork is required for your MTO upgrade and has to be filled in by the student and filled in correctly, it is just part of the program. And the reason they ask about riding experience is to put people in groups of simmilar experience so that each groups learning curve is the same and you don't have experinced riders mixed with students that never ride together. And by the way you pass if you pass the MTO designated test at the end and that is all up to you not what group you were in!

2. The helmet. Some colleges allow half shells some don't. Think about it this way, while you are under our instruction your welfare is in our hands and the colleges underwriter insuring us. The underwriter has stipulated no half shells, so that is the rule!

3. The motorcycle you ride at the course is irrelevant, whether it is a dirt bike, sport bike or cruiser. All motorcycles work the same way. This course is designed to teach you the basic skills of riding a motorcycle and safety tecniques to help keep you safe.

My advice to you is to chill oput, listen to what we teach you and use it.

I hope you go in with a better attitude than you seem to have now!

Oh and by the way the experience of most of the instructors is huge. Myself 27 years riding. Many of the others as much or even more! We are not spring chickens that don't know what we are talking about as you seem to imply!
    Last edited by taximan62; 06-18-2010 at 01:50 PM.

2008 Triumph Bonneville T100
    2009 Harley Ultra Classic
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

I took the course at the Brampton location and yes I will agree the thrus inclass is not all that fun but sat and Sunday more then made up for it. Also it's not that bad waking up for the class I couldn't sleep the night before just wanted to get started anyways all I can say is wait till sat/sun then write ur review. I doubt if u enjoy riding it won't be a bad one.

JMO

Brandon
    2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Black

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
    ^^^

Looool!!! ouch!!

I actually was about to apply for the course at sheridan but now I think i'll go sign up with learning curves :\ only thing is, i wish learning curves had a location in Mississauga

I live in Mississauga...almost in Milton. It was worth the drive

WOW.... talk about a negative person!!!!!!!

Another future SQUID who will end up dead on the side of the road because he refuses to learn from qualified instuctors who know a lot more than he will ever.

You will not last long on the road with that attitude.

Good luck on the weekend. Do yourself a favour and listen to your instructor. It will keep you alive.....
    Motorcycle Instructor Sheridan College
    2011 Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200
    2010 Husaberg FE390

Harley Motto: If you can't go Fast.... go LOUD....

Only a real motorcyclist truly understand why a dog hangs its head out a car window....

I took the same course at Sheridan (Oakville) last week, and it was great. I'd like to address some of your points, as someone who has been teaching professionally for 16 years:

Quote Originally Posted by Crush View Post
    Basically, I am very disappointed so far with the class:

-The class room was crammed. Most people sitting right beside each other crammed in. There was about 40 people in the whole lecture hall. He kept telling people not to sit in the front, but this caused us all to get crammed in. Oh by the way all the instructors speak fluent Canadian English.
    He probably told you not to sit in the front, because you can't see the screen comfortably in the front row. He was doing you a favour. Terrible room design is the fault of the school, not the course.

-The class went from 6pm to 10:15pm with only a 10 MIN BREAK!! Many had friends and SO's waiting for them outside showing up at 9:30pm or so having to wait. Like who keeps people till the VERY END?? We obviously expected to get let out at least 15 min early.
    When I tell students class starts at x and ends at y, that's the way it is. The end.

-The class time began and I kid you not, the first hour of the 4 hour class consisted of FILLING OUT PAPER WORK! He put on the slides and pretty much made us do work which I feel should have been done by them off of class time. It was a complete waste. We were all sitting their doing their job it seemed like. A complete waste of class time.
    This happened in our class as well. It's because many people don't listen, or they assume the wrong thing about what to write down. I see this all the time. Just because you have no problem with filling out a simple form, doesn't mean the teacher shouldn't calculate a time allowance for those who don't. Because it costs way more time to fix that kind of thing afterward.

-We then took a 10 min break at 7:15PM and from then on, we were stuck in our seats for 3 HOURS straight! He showed more useless videos. They had 2 instructors going over the paper work at the front of the class and then writing names on the board for people who did not correct their paper work correctly.
    The safety council demands that you watch this stuff. Close your eyes if you don't want to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
    ^^^

Looool!!! ouch!!

I have to be up in 6 hours to PUSH around other people on bikes. He wants us there at 7:30.

Oh darn.. did I forget to mention he gave us a TAKE HOME TEST?????? He said that if we don't get it to them before 8am tomorrow, then he won't have time give it to you again if you fail.

People will ALSO be fighting over bikes tommorow so everyone is pressured to come in early.

And get this.. you won't believe this..There is a 90 MINUTE LUNCH!! Why on earth would you do this for??

Anyhow, do NOT take this course. There was not one laugh, it was not fun.. it was crammed, uncomfortable, like 40 people in the room. Many accents of all types in there too so some of the students it's hard to understand their question.

Go private. Stay away form academia.

I'll let you know how tomorrow turns out. Going to bed now. I hope I do OK with so little sleep in 38 degree weather with full helmet, jacket, boots, and gloves on while PUSHING around other people on their BIKES!

Crush: Wait till the end of the program and then post a "review"

And if you fail the test, that is not the course, that is an MTO test. Review the college course not based on whether you pass or fail.
    Last edited by taximan62; 06-19-2010 at 01:11 AM.

2008 Triumph Bonneville T100
    2009 Harley Ultra Classic
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Peterborough, or just where ever the road takes me

I have to be up in 6 hours to PUSH around other people on bikes. He wants us there at 7:30.

Oh darn.. did I forget to mention he gave us a TAKE HOME TEST?????? He said that if we don't get it to them before 8am tomorrow, then he won't have time give it to you again if you fail.

People will ALSO be fighting over bikes tommorow so everyone is pressured to come in early.

And get this.. you won't believe this..There is a 90 MINUTE LUNCH!! Why on earth would you do this for??

Anyhow, do NOT take this course. There was not one laugh, it was not fun.. it was crammed, uncomfortable, like 40 people in the room. Many accents of all types in there too so some of the students it's hard to understand their question.

Go private. Stay away form academia.

I'll let you know how tomorrow turns out. Going to bed now. I hope I do OK with so little sleep in 38 degree weather with full helmet, jacket, boots, and gloves on while PUSHING around other people on their BIKES!
    wow, you're complaining about having barely any time to sleep, then why the heck would stay up so late? Do you need your mommy to tell you what to do still or something?

The take home test is part of passing the course, if you hand it in later than 8am, just hope you passed it, if you're not sure, hand it in earlier so you can try again if you fail.

The 90 minute lunch break is so that all the different Sheridan colleges run the same schedule, and since there's less places close by to eat at the Burlington campus, they give you 90minutes.

The pushing the bike is to help you get used to balancing on the bike, so you have less of a chance of dropping it.

You might want to get your facts straight
    Last edited by Paul; 06-20-2010 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sports_girl View Post
    I live in Mississauga...almost in Milton. It was worth the drive

Thanks for that, now im going there 101%, just spoke with cutekill waiting for more info from her and yaa i would assume that the thursday class would be really boring but then again sat and sun would probably make up for it so crush, i would tell you also to wait untill sat/sun and see how that turns out...keep us posted though...i wanna know how your experiance was with them
    Last edited by Toxic; 06-19-2010 at 01:14 AM.
    "Who said we need woman? A bike is all you really need" ---- ahahahah sooo true

2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

talk about paperwork

there were some idiots who never waited for the instructors to explain and ended up having to ask for new forms again and again and again and again and again... seriously after the first time they made a booboo they need to learn to just wait up and listen to the instructions
    Last edited by bbjaijai; 06-19-2010 at 02:32 AM.

in 38 degree weather with full helmet, jacket, boots, and gloves on while PUSHING around other people on their BIKES!

Get used to this, it will be good practice for you.

If you ride long enough. Its only a matter of time before you will be pushing/lifting YOUR or a friends bike after you run out of gas, have a mechanical problem, drop the bike, or crash.

And if you opt to wear full gear like your taught in the course, get used to sweating profusely in your gear on any hot summer ride.

As much fun as riding is and can be, there are downsides and not so fun moments. Maybe after taking this course, you will decide that riding just isn't for you.

GTA-M. Your best bang for the entertainment buck.
    What feels better than banking a motorcycle over into a corner?

Wow, according to Crush's other posts, he/she is 33, which I don't believe for a second since you have the attitude of a 16 year old toward all of this.

These courses are the tried and tested method of not only ensuring you get your M2, but more importantly, that you don't end up dead in a week, assuming you actually listen to what they have to teach you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaneris View Post
    you have the attitude of a 16 year old toward all of this.
    Objection!
    "It's not who you are that's stopping you;
    It's who you think you're not."

Ride: 2009 Special Edition Ninja 250