English- the soon to be MINORITY - Page 3

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: English- the soon to be MINORITY

Re: English- the soon to be MINORITY

Quote Originally Posted by GSPLover View Post
    Who said ANYTHING about being afraid? If I went to Germany, France, Italy, Iran, China, Japan, etc etc etc etc do you think they would change their way of life and reprint gov't docs, road signs etc etc etc for ME because I thought they should as I have moved to that country?
    HELL NO!!!
    You move to another country you become a citizen of that country. You learn the language, you learn to drive on the LEFT side of the road if you have to. Someone shouldn't expect a country to change for them simply because they decide to move there.
    Correct.
    I lived in few other countires with tottally different cultures.
    I.e.Saudi Arabia.
    You better obey their laws or you will go to prison.
    Drink water,smoke a cigarrette,eat in public during Ramadan and off you go.
    No trial,no court date,you broke their law/religion.Bye,bye.
    Prison is not a holiday camp.if you go for an extended time you will die.
    Depending off course on the crime.
    Your Govenment cannot do anything to help you.
    I see no problem with that.
    I will obey their laws and learn the culture,not because i have too but because i want to learn how their customs are different to the Western World.
    It is an education to see how people live.

aren't caucasians already a minority in the United States? If not... it was going to happen in a few years.

Like Russel Peters said - everyone's going to be beige.
    The funk. The jive. The boogie. The rock and roll.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GSPLover View Post
    Who said ANYTHING about being afraid? If I went to Germany, France, Italy, Iran, China, Japan, etc etc etc etc do you think they would change their way of life and reprint gov't docs, road signs etc etc etc for ME because I thought they should as I have moved to that country?
    HELL NO!!!
    You move to another country you become a citizen of that country. You learn the language, you learn to drive on the LEFT side of the road if you have to. Someone shouldn't expect a country to change for them simply because they decide to move there.
    Big if. And answers a very important question for me regarding your life experience.

If ANY proactive nation had as many people coming into their country from other places, they would make sure that recording of information and data collecting was done in as efficient a way as possible. That is, after all, a good thing. So you make documents that allow people to enter their own data, in the language that ensures the least questions asked of an employee, and that garner the most accuracy possible.

Without immigration we will have to continue to sell off our natural resources as we find them. As we don't have a work force capable of processing them into more valuable products and never have. That is why we take in 200k or so people a year.

I know. It's tough to think of everything. Just quit pretending you did is all I'm suggesting.

No one will ever make me say something other than Merry Christmas or call a Christmas Tree a Christmas Tree.

As for most of the people who chose to misread and twist what the OP is saying, he is not complaining about immigration, but complaining about people that refuse to adapt to our countries beliefs, laws and values.

This is Canada, not Italy, not India, not China, Canada.
    "They are spending $1.2bn on a gabfest on how to get government spending under control.
    The irony seems lost on them."
    - About the G20

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish. – Anonymous

Banned

I too lived in Saudi for a while.

Would only go back at gun point.

If you are suggesting that Saudi is an example of a successful type of governance you lost me.

Place gave me the creeps. Women are treated like dirt. No room for opinion or objectivity. Was pretty sad. Interesting, and different than here, but not a home run for mankind to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by cycling View Post
    Correct.
    I lived in few other countires with tottally different cultures.
    I.e.Saudi Arabia.
    You better obey their laws or you will go to prison.
    Drink water,smoke a cigarrette,eat in public during Ramadan and off you go.
    No trial,no court date,you broke their law/religion.Bye,bye.
    Prison is not a holiday camp.if you go for an extended time you will die.
    Depending off course on the crime.
    Your Govenment cannot do anything to help you.
    I see no problem with that.
    I will obey their laws and learn the culture,not because i have too but because i want to learn how their customs are different to the Western World.
    It is an education to see how people live.

Quote Originally Posted by CdnVStar View Post
    Driving on the left side of the road seems like a good idea to me. Why don't we have a pilot project here to see if it will work. For one month, all trucks will have to drive on the left side of the road...lets see how that goes.
    They tried that in Ireland one Christmas(That`s where we say Happy Christmas),didn`t work.
    Spilt too much Guinness.

Quote Originally Posted by Squadz View Post
    No one will ever make me say something other than Merry Christmas or call a Christmas Tree a Christmas Tree.

As for most of the people who chose to misread and twist what the OP is saying, he is not complaining about immigration, but complaining about people that refuse to adapt to our countries beliefs, laws and values.

See...what you and the OP fail to realize is that this is not an issue just limited to immigrants. And for the record, I believe that whole "Christmas" debackle is a religious matter...not necessarily one related to immigration, as a lot of immigrants are Christian.

Stupid people are stupid and will continue to be stupid regardless of where they came from or how recently they immigrated here. People are bad drivers because they're ignorant morons...not because they came from India or Greece or whatever.

Some newly immigrated people refuse to assimilate because they're jackasses. How many canadian high school kids in Toronto or out West refuse to learn French for the same reason?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
    Man, that's like two bucks worth of 50 cent words. I guess that Readers Digest subscription really paid off.
    '92 gixxer 750 - Jupiter

What kind of "error" is this?
    Last edited by ariesmars; 06-16-2010 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squadz

Can someone tell me what beliefs and values (be specific) new immigrants should adopt? We already established they have to abide by all our laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NOMFuP, Not My ****ing Problem. - Malcom Tucker

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    Whatever. That rant sucks.

In your opinion. Would you like him to change his opinion to suit you?
    If you try to make it idiot-proof, someone will just make a better idiot....

Wowsa!!! A Canadian speaking his mind on a touchy subject, careful it might start spreading and catch on. nah., what am I thinking, this is Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by dankyyz View Post

If you are suggesting that Saudi is an example of a successful type of governance you lost me.

Place gave me the creeps. Women are treated like dirt. No room for opinion or objectivity. Was pretty sad. Interesting, and different than here, but not a home run for mankind to say the least.
    I think most of us only go for the money.
    Did 2 years there in Dhahran (Arabic الظهران aẓ-Ẓahrān)
    No i was not suggesting that Saudi is an example of successful governance.
    Really only comparing their laws compared to the Western way of life.
    Did you enjoy the Siddiqui?
    Pure poison.

Big if. And answers a very important question for me regarding your life experience.

You know nothing of my life experience(s). Ive also been to the middle east and other countries. I went there to learn about them and experience their culture etc. I wouldn't have the arrogance to expect them to change one thing to suit me.
    I have nothing against immigration but dont expect Canada to change for you to suit you just because you are moving here is what Im saying.
    Learn french or English before you come here though.
    What does this have to do with collecting data?
    Last edited by GSPLover; 06-16-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 50 over View Post
    Wowsa!!! A Canadian speaking his mind on a touchy subject, careful it might start spreading and catch on. nah., what am I thinking, this is Canada.

Tell me about it.

So they would change for me if I decided to move there? No way they would.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Squadz View Post

Dankyyz,
    Do you have a comprehension problem?
    I have bold for you what others have pointed out.
    I also did not read the other poster telling you to go back to Saudi Arabia. They simply wrote THEIR OBSERVATIONS of how that country operates and what some of the penalties are for breaking THEIR RULES.

Squadz,
    Thank you sir for READING and COMPREHENDING EXACTLY what I wrote. I will differ with you a tad bit because laws and values sometimes need to evolve to be more inclusive i.e. Civil Rights type of laws etc...Yes, follow the laws written but by all means challenge the ones that might be oppressive.

I am simply requesting ANYONE that is a CITIZEN or LANDED IMMIGRANT be able to communicate at the least in a grade 5 capacity of ENGLISH or FRENCH.
    What part of learning to speak at least one of the 2 OFFICIAL LANGUAGES (ENGLISH OR FRENCH) do people not comprehend here?
    Last edited by FUNN; 06-16-2010 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by squadz View Post

as for most of the people who chose to misread and twist what the op is saying, he is not complaining about immigration, but complaining about people that refuse to adapt to our countries beliefs, laws and values.

This is canada, not italy, not india, not china, canada.

exactly!!

Quote Originally Posted by FUNN View Post
    I am simply requesting ANYONE that is a CITIZEN or LANDED IMMIGRANT be able to communicate at the least in a grade 5 capacity of ENGLISH or FRENCH.
    And they will...eventually...provided they're here long enough. All of the examples listed above about living in other countries and learning their languages comes as a result of both actively learning the language...and learning by immersion.

Show me examples of well established immigrant families outright refusing to learn english. Show me examples of immigrants (who are here legally) that have been here upwards of 20 years who cannot hold down a basic conversation in English. On top of that...prove to me that these examples are the rule, rather than the exception, and I'll agree with you.

The fact of the matter is it takes time for people to learn english...especially if its purely by immersion alone. The mere notion that that English will soon become a secondary language is ****ing ridiculous....because even if the parents refuse to actively learn and expand their english/french their children will more than likely be proficient in both languages.

This rant is brought about by nothing more than a short sighted, emotional response. Granted, the City probably shouldn't be wasting it's time or our money on multicultural flyers...but I'd like to posit that these idiots shouldn't be wasting 1 billion dollars by building ridiculous fences outside of my office either!

You guys need to relax....serially.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
    Man, that's like two bucks worth of 50 cent words. I guess that Readers Digest subscription really paid off.
    '92 gixxer 750 - Jupiter

"Show me examples of well established immigrant families outright refusing to learn english. Show me examples of immigrants (who are here legally) that have been here upwards of 20 years who cannot hold down a basic conversation in English. On top of that...prove to me that these examples are the rule, rather than the exception, and I'll agree with you."

You're invited to one of my family dinners. You'll see the complete lack of English in action. Length of time in Canada on average 45-50 years.
    There are some thing's better left unsaid, but you can bet your sweet a** I'm going to say them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Charly View Post
    "Show me examples of well established immigrant families outright refusing to learn english. Show me examples of immigrants (who are here legally) that have been here upwards of 20 years who cannot hold down a basic conversation in English. On top of that...prove to me that these examples are the rule, rather than the exception, and I'll agree with you."

You're invited to one of my family dinners. You'll see the complete lack of English in action. Length of time in Canada on average 45-50 years.
    Are you saying that that's the language they use in the home, or are you saying that they *can't* hold a conversation in English? There's a difference.

Anyways, my solution is just make 'em all watch soap operas all day. That's apparently how my mom learned English.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa