English- the soon to be MINORITY - Page 22

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: English- the soon to be MINORITY

Re: English- the soon to be MINORITY

Quote Originally Posted by FUNN View Post
    30 years and still no English or as you put it "hardly any english".
    So they CHOSE to MOVE to an ENGLISH/FRENCH speaking country but had no courtesy to learn either OFFICIAL language at a grade 5 level at the least. That seems very rude and disrespectful to the locals and to the other immigrants that made the effort.

What multiple jobs did they work for over 30 years that they did not have to use English or French on a daily basis?

Thanks for demonstrating my point.
    CHOICE, 30 years, hardly any English.

SO WHAT! Once again another blatant sign of DISRESPECT to the people here and those that busted their butts to learn English/French to be a part of the country.
    Damn, do you really know what immigrants have to do to get by in 70s. YES...multiple jobs in factories and resturants. You can get by back then with min. english. Working hard so the kids can have a better life and NO time to take english classes.

You mentioned busting their butts, hey they made less than $4.00/hr to put food on the table and paid for a house . I think that qualifies as busting ur butts? They've earned my RESPECT. You on the other hand sound like some over-priviliged kid growing up in the burbs having no idea what the old immigrants have to put up with.
    Last edited by Urban_Lounger; 06-24-2010 at 11:41 AM.

I tried to order a chinese take out meal last night!!!
    I gave up after 10 minutes and went with fish and chips.
    Yes they went down just lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
    When in Almeria, I really had to test my language skills. My translation book greatly assisted.

A british style pub had only 1 bartender who spoke even a little bit of English - good thing beer is universal in almost any language.
    I'm surprised, as Almeria is a real hot spot for British tourists. I spent several days there and in the countryside around there, and had no problem finding English speakers. Found some great scuba diving instructors in Mojacar, who were Italian immigrants to Spain, but spoke good English too.

I know that everyone's individual experience is going to be different - you obviously found fewer English speakers than I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
    - good thing beer is universal in almost any language.
    OK! Now we're getting somewhere here!
    MODE ON