Misrepresentation, can't get insured?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Misrepresentation, can't get insured?

Exclamation Misrepresentation, can't get insured?

Hey guys,

A friend of mine just got the boot from her insurance company, apparently the lady on the phone used the phrase "misrepresentation" .

My friend had an insurance claim back in 08. She had no idea what to do.
    Any suggestions?

I believe she tried with statefarm and all the major companies already. Do you guys know any brokers that may be able to help her?

Thanks.

Re: Misrepresentation, can't get insured?

you have to elaborate on what happened.......

Wait a minute.. That Hayabusa has more than 50cc's?
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

So she applied for insurance but didn't tell em she had made a claim in 2008?

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

Skurj, I believe this is what happened.

I told her to talk to an Ombudsmen.

Your friend may have to go into facility. It doesn't pay to mess with the insurance mafia.

Was she cancelled for misrepresentation? If so than Facility would be her only option and it would be expensive.

If she was shoping around and didn't disclose an accident than she can try another carrier, just remember to mention the claim from now on!!

You lied to the insurer and they terminated your policy.

My God.

What next, the government will get mad if I don't pay my taxes, the landlord will kick me out if I don't pay the rent or maybe my boss will fire me if I don't do my job.

If you are cancelled for misrepresentation, this means that you lied to your insurer about your risk profile. This can take many forms such as not disclosing a claim, not disclosing an engine swap, declaring your parent to be the principal operator of YOUR bike, having a "hidden operator" on your policy, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Lying to your insurer has many consequences:

• In the event of a claim, the insurer can flat-out deny you. You could be on the hook for a $500K+ claim. Insurance companies hire investigators for this purpose, and they know ALL the tricks and their corresponding red flags.
    • If caught for misrepresentation, the insurer will cancel your policy on the spot
    • If you are ever cancelled due to misrepresentation, good luck finding a standard insurance company who will accept you. You will be stuck with the Facility Association.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    If you are cancelled for misrepresentation, this means that you lied to your insurer about your risk profile. This can take many forms such as not disclosing a claim, not disclosing an engine swap, declaring your parent to be the principal operator of YOUR bike, having a "hidden operator" on your policy, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Lying to your insurer has many consequences:

• In the event of a claim, the insurer can flat-out deny you. You could be on the hook for a $500K+ claim. Insurance companies hire investigators for this purpose, and they know ALL the tricks and their corresponding red flags.
    • If caught for misrepresentation, the insurer will cancel your policy on the spot
    • If you are ever cancelled due to misrepresentation, good luck finding a standard insurance company who will accept you. You will be stuck with the Facility Association.
    I have been lying to my insurance company since i was 17 and don't feel one bit bad about it. I know im breaking the law and taking a risk and i dont care. I am one of the many Torontonians who are fed up with these greedy ****** insurance companies. If I paid what im "supposed" to pay then i wouldn't drive and wouldn't be able to help my family. The police dont control the streets, the insurance companies do.

Do not go and tell me now that insurance is expensive because people in Ontario milk the system. I know waaaaaay too many people who have paid for their car crashes out of their own pocket to avoid making insurance claims and im sure everyone on GTAM knows a good bunch of people who have done them same...

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum Cycle View Post
    You lied to the insurer and they terminated your policy.

My God.

What next, the government will get mad if I don't pay my taxes, the landlord will kick me out if I don't pay the rent or maybe my boss will fire me if I don't do my job.
    If sarcasm is your only advice, you sure are helpful.

Thanks for the advice guys, I will pass it on to my friend as she is freaking out. She just got herself a bike and now I guess it will sit in the garage and rot.

Or I will just tell her to ride the damn thing and chance it as she already had the slip and stickers!

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys, I will pass it on to my friend as she is freaking out. She just got herself a bike and now I guess it will sit in the garage and rot.

Or I will just tell her to ride the damn thing and chance it as she already had the slip and stickers!
    She's a newb the odds of her crashing are quite high, telling her to chance it, is certainly the wrong advice. The fine is 5k not to mention no insurance company will want to touch her after getting convicted.
    SOAR Novice #113

Quote Originally Posted by zonasur View Post
    I have been lying to my insurance company since i was 17 and don't feel one bit bad about it. I know im breaking the law and taking a risk and i dont care. I am one of the many Torontonians who are fed up with these greedy ****** insurance companies. If I paid what im "supposed" to pay then i wouldn't drive and wouldn't be able to help my family. The police dont control the streets, the insurance companies do.

Do not go and tell me now that insurance is expensive because people in Ontario milk the system. I know waaaaaay too many people who have paid for their car crashes out of their own pocket to avoid making insurance claims and im sure everyone on GTAM knows a good bunch of people who have done them same...
    You probably aren't screwing the insurance company, but rather doing them a favour. When the time comes that you need to make a claim, perhaps a huge one, the insurance company won't have to pay a cent. You're giving them money every month but because you lied, they don't owe you anything in return. But of course, you will never have to make a claim (and even if you did, the insurer's investigators won't notice even though they're specifically trained for this purpose).
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    She's a newb the odds of her crashing are quite high, telling her to chance it, is certainly the wrong advice. The fine is 5k not to mention no insurance company will want to touch her after getting convicted.
    People always worry about the $5000 fine and the future insurance implications . . . these are the least of your worries. What you should be worried about is the $500K collision that you are going to have to pay out on your own.

If there was somehow a misunderstanding and you believe you have a case take it to the ombudsman of the insurance company. If they don't cooperate then take it to the ombudsman of the FSCO. If you can fix this then you should. If you've committed fraud then you're on your own.

Driving without insurance is easily done, and it seems the probability of getting caught are low. You can create your own insurance certificate with an inkjet printer. The police have no computerized way of checking if the certificate is fraudulent. When the new computerized system comes in it will only check for insurance at time of plate renewal.

That said if you do get into a crash and you need extra funding for health expenses you'll be paying the whole sum yourself. If you can't afford it you won't get rehab. If you caused injury to other drivers they will sue you for whatever you have and all future earnings. It would be unwise to take this huge risk. Further, because you will be riding illegally, you may have an increased tendency to run from police. Maybe it's Ok for some, but not for me.

Yes, insurance costs are a rip off and way too high, but the alternatives are far worse.
    Last edited by TorontoBoy; 06-15-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Banned

If you caused injury to other drivers they will sue you for whatever you have and all future earnings.
    also iirc, bankruptcy won't protect you.

bad advice.

be a friend and help her prep her bike properly for storage or for sale.

If sarcasm is your only advice, you sure are helpful.

Split personality? lol
    Is there another option to tell your friend regarding the bike in her garage?...
    *gasp*

Quote Originally Posted by rukus View Post
    also iirc, bankruptcy won't protect you.
    I know bankruptcy doesn't cover every debt but not sure what does get erased and what specifically does not get erased.