well, I'm no drag racer

Thread: well, I'm no drag racer

well, I'm no drag racer

LOL.

I did manage 2x 11.07 @ 128 but did not get into the 10's

2005 R1, 10,000km. Bike mods are full termis, PC3, and smog delete. Stock otherwise, even tires.

I don't know enough about drag racing to look at my times and know what to do. Obviously I need to work on my R/T and 60' as I was a little nervous launching the thing, it was either too slow or too wheelie.

Anyways, any input appreciated, I'm more of a road course guy but after last night I def think I'd like to make it out every few weeks for a bit of fun. No intention of doing any drag specific mods though

Re: well, I'm no drag racer

A couple of simple things that made a difference for me...put me at 9.99 when I was struggling at consistent 10.3.
    Stock windscreen and a clean air filter. Keep the fuel level low too. Tough to do if you ride to the track because you still have to ride to a station after.
    I'm guessing 5000rpm for the launch and clutchless shifting.

reaction tome will have no effect in ur e.t .basically ur launch is keeping u out of the 10's.u need to basically lower ur 60' time as ur mph indicates u have more than enough power to run a mid to low 10 sec e.t

let me know when ur heading up again.im anxious to go myself.

I didn't manage to get things organized in time for this one, but I want to bring the ZX10R out for the Friday before the next SOAR round (9 July). I need an excuse to give the big bike some exercise.

I know how I launch my roadrace bike ... I hold the revs steady at around 7000 rpm then when the flag drops, I pin the throttle and feed the clutch out. Never really done it on the big bike, it ought to be about the same idea but it will take some experimenting to get the launch rpm and the way to feed out the clutch right. Too low launch rpm and the engine bogs; too high and it will wheelie.

I launch my 10R from 10,000rpm.

Keep the front end down my modulating the clutch, not the gas. Whenever i've tried to use the gas to control it i bog.

was practicing my launch technic on a empty industrial road last night and got it pretty down pat.came out very hard on one run.although i did have a little scare when on one pass i hit it 2 hard in second and put the front up about 3 feet.came down hard and my privates were still a little sore this morning.
    lets get some guys together for an outing.should be fun

EVO,

You got yourself an R1 now?
    That's a mighty jump from the sv650.
    Are you taking the R1 to the road course also?

I've seen R1's do around 10 flat in the 1/4.

Quote Originally Posted by komodo View Post
    EVO,

You got yourself an R1 now?
    That's a mighty jump from the sv650.
    Are you taking the R1 to the road course also?

I've seen R1's do around 10 flat in the 1/4.
    Yeah I picked it up a month or two ago. Love it so far. Gives me the grunt of the sv with the top end (and more) of a 6. Could'nt imagine going back to a 6.

I'd love to get it out to the track but without spending a fortune for race plastics and sliders everywhere I won't. It's too nice should something happen!

10 flat? Strapped?

Dont feel bad.. its tougher than most ppl think launching a bike. My first time out with my 03 R1 the best I could get was a 11.0 @ 136 mph. The launch is everything: once you get your 60 ft time down into the 1.6-1.8 range you should be mid 10's no problem. Im a bit surprised by your mph though, which should be pretty consistent regardless of the launch - shouldnt an 04+ r1 be north of 140mph?

Next time out, forget about trying to nail the light and just concentrate on leaving the line hard.

Quote Originally Posted by [evo] View Post
    LOL.

I did manage 2x 11.07 @ 128 but did not get into the 10's

2005 R1, 10,000km. Bike mods are full termis, PC3, and smog delete. Stock otherwise, even tires.

I don't know enough about drag racing to look at my times and know what to do. Obviously I need to work on my R/T and 60' as I was a little nervous launching the thing, it was either too slow or too wheelie.

Anyways, any input appreciated, I'm more of a road course guy but after last night I def think I'd like to make it out every few weeks for a bit of fun. No intention of doing any drag specific mods though

Quote Originally Posted by mma01 View Post
    Dont feel bad.. its tougher than most ppl think launching a bike. My first time out with my 03 R1 the best I could get was a 11.0 @ 136 mph. The launch is everything: once you get your 60 ft time down into the 1.6-1.8 range you should be mid 10's no problem. Im a bit surprised by your mph though, which should be pretty consistent regardless of the launch - shouldnt an 04+ r1 be north of 140mph?

Next time out, forget about trying to nail the light and just concentrate on leaving the line hard.
    My first night out with my stock 10R my best was a 10.50 @ 138.9mph.

On my current ruhtard-mobile 10R my best was a 10.53 @ 144.2mph. It's light and geared... likes to wheelie much more than the stock one did.

It's ALL about your launch, I managed a 10.53 on my '07 R6 last Friday evening.
    98.1 Free FM's Racing Team
    SOAR 2011 Old Boys Championship Runner-up.
    Rocket.ca womex.ca TracksideCuts.com stoopidracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by HawkEye#311 View Post
    It's ALL about your launch, I managed a 10.53 on my '07 R6 last Friday evening.
    Which still wasnt good enough to beat girlie on the GSXR.

LOL, not true Timmy, I chased her down and caught her at the top end of the run, beat her by 2 tenths of a second. She had stellar launches all night long, she is a pro moto-x racer from what I heard.
    98.1 Free FM's Racing Team
    SOAR 2011 Old Boys Championship Runner-up.
    Rocket.ca womex.ca TracksideCuts.com stoopidracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by HawkEye#311 View Post
    LOL, not true Timmy, I chased her down and caught her at the top end of the run, beat her by 2 tenths of a second. She had stellar launches all night long, she is a pro moto-x racer from what I heard.
    You big burly bear of a man! Way to show that little girl who's boss!

hahaha

She was consistent thats for damn sure, having the bike lowered helps a lil though I'm sure. Not to take away from her - I dont mean it like that.

Nothing like watching you bump start that thing before every run, lol.

Banned

lol....nice comment Pablo.....something have your tongue tied up here??? I'm thinking..pre stage but not deep....let the other guy stage...bring your rev's up to a comfortable rpm,concentrate...stage...and really concentrate on making really quick shifts and on the botton!!! it all helps

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NEVER2OLD View Post
    lol....nice comment Pablo.....something have your tongue tied up here??? I'm thinking..pre stage but not deep....let the other guy stage...bring your rev's up to a comfortable rpm,concentrate...stage...and really concentrate on making really quick shifts and on the botton!!! it all helps
    Lol........ Ya, what he said .......