Isle of Man Claims 2 in one day - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Isle of Man Claims 2 in one day

Re: Isle of Man Claims 2 in one day

Quote Originally Posted by inreb View Post
    I just get a kick out of how and why "respect" is doled out among various subcultures. It's laughable what people will do to ratchet themselves up in the pecking order. That's fine but I wonder what say the kids had in all this.
    I doubt that these people do it to get respect from some strangers. It has probably more to do with pursuing their own dreams. The presence of kids does complicate things---on one hand there is this guy with his passion that eventually claimed his life, on the other there is his wife and kids who will now grow up without a father. I understand your point, but I think you are mistaken as to what motivates people to race in the TT.
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

Quote Originally Posted by El Zilcho View Post
    I doubt that these people do it to get respect from some strangers. It has probably more to do with pursuing their own dreams. The presence of kids does complicate things---on one hand there is this guy with his passion that eventually claimed his life, on the other there is his wife and kids who will now grow up without a father. I understand your point, but I think you are mistaken as to what motivates people to race in the TT.
    Not so much from strangers, but from the peer group. Even the last place finisher will always be able to say "well, I don't see YOU racing at IOM" It's a rare person who doesn't wish to show themselves in the best light possible. Maybe these guys are the Ghandis' of road racing? It's possible.
    I don't mean to villify or degrade participants of extreme sports but I do reserve the right to shake my head and wonder why somebody would participate, as there is no room for error. If that's a dream.....
    soaked and upset

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    motorcycles are dangerous!
    That's why women give up the goods so fast for bikers!!!
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

the people who take part clearly know the dangers and still choose to take part because they love what they are doing.
    A few years ago a rider Joey Dunlop was killed in a road race he was rated one of the all time greats. About 2 years ago his brother Robert was killed at the NorthWest 200 road races in a practice session that same weekend his 2 sons were racing. Even after their father being killed one of the sons still raced that weekend and went on to win their race.
    Also there are reguarly fatalities at road racing events i think most years there would be at least one at Isle of Man and at the North West 200.